Detroit 6v92 series

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kando

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Kittyhawk
Vessel Make
Careel 22
Anyone know a good marine diesel fitter in Tarcoola Beach, WA, someone with experience with Detroit 6v92 series and a DD Allison 2 to 1 ratio gearbox. The engine and gearbox both need work.
The boat I'm thinking of buying is in WA while I'm in Victoria, so I'm not close to the boat. The seller tells me the boat has a small problem with one injector and the gearbox also has a small problem, so I need a good honest diesel fitter to check things out and give me a quote before I proceed with the purchase, or rejection of the boat.

Bill
Australia

Victoria Aus or Victoria Canada?

[QUOTE="The seller tells me the boat has a small problem with one injector and the gearbox also has a small problem, Bill Australia[/QUOTE]

image-719788308.jpg

This started as an injector problem on a 6v92. Replacement injectors are also a big problem for these engines. Failure rate is very high.

Sent from my iPhone

Reject. That's a red flag that the rest of the boat is neglected too.

lots of 6V92 take outs for sale all the time. Steer clear.

Replacement injectors are also a big problem for these engines. Failure rate is very high.

DD 6/92 were / are verry common in the bus industry.

An injector rebuild will be $60 each at DD about 1/2 that from any rebuilder.

Experience is useful in injector rebuilding so I would get a copy of Boats and Harbors and select someone that has done a few thousand for crew boats.. Or just buy from DD.

Remember rebuild time will allow you to select a different HP / Rpm if desired.

lots of 6V92 take outs for sale all the time. Steer clear.

The 6-92 is frequently used in a high power fish killer , where 1000 hours is considered good service.
Tone it down and 5 to 10x the service life can be expected.

Detroit 6v92 Update

Thanks for the advice mates, the Detroit 6v92 is in a 1979, 11.9m (39') Glasscraft, solid fiberglass ex Cray boat but I have no idea what HP the engine has been running at. I'm waiting on the seller responding to my query on the HP set-up and service record/s for the engine. Since posting this question I've found, what looks to me to be good information on this site, Sam's Marine, IMHO, it's some good advice from some knowledgeable DD people. Thanks again for all your advice.

Bill
Australia

Update. Just got word from the seller, the engine is, Quote: 350hp. . . 2100rpm = 17 - 18 knots. 1400rpm = 9 knots @ 13 litres per hour... Engine is fresh water cooled from a saltwater heat exchanger. End Quote.

Last edited:
I may the odd man here, but at lower HP settings the DDs are pretty good engines. After all, this one has been in service for 35 years. A good DD mechanic can check it out and advise on issues. Very important to get the Model and Serial numbers right so the good mechanic can go through the engine to insure right parts are available and HP settings/designation correct

If the vessel is otherwise in good shape the worst that can happen is a new engine and TX are necessary, budget accordingly.

The biggest problem with a DD is it takes a mechanic , da book, and a few gauges to set one up.

Running the rack is not hard to do , but very hard to do really well, till you have done it MANY times.

Today too many wrench turners are really just parts changers , not mechanics with some understanding of what and why they are doing , whatever they are doing.

Many of the dead DD 2 strokes I have seen were killed by using the wrong oil.

CFII 40 wt , anything else and its engine by by time.

Seems to me the DD without turbos always had a shorter life. One other good thing about these old beasts is they are really inexpensive to rebuild.Larry

The 6V 92's are better than the 8V 92's, which are better than the 16V 92's! Better as in more reliable, less likely to blow up. Parts, and blocks are getting hard to find from what I've heard. Helpful household hint: put a Vollyball in the exhaust pipe to keep moisture(and salt) from blowing up into the engines when sitting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom