Fun day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Northern Lights II
Vessel Make
Bayliner 3870
image-3225498263.jpg
I've gotten more experience working on a head than I ever wanted, hope it's a long while till I get any more. The macerator motor quit, luckily I had a spare motor & pump assembly. I've been contemplating replacing all the waste system plumbing when the project list gets shorter, I don't think it'll ever get short enough for me to want another day like today.

Most people locate them more privately.:)
I guess it`s the last job we ever want to have to do on the boat.

I was going to toss my old head after the hand pump quit...but I found a common PVC elbow that was a perfect fit for the end where the cleanout plug was....so I did a vertical drop to another 90 that went right into a cheapo macerator screwed to the base (underneath upside down). I also had a length of 1" hose that I feed to the holding tank. Added a push button for the macerator. Use a cup of water from the sink to flush (it's the spare head anyway).

Whole project cost around $100 and took a day to piece together after finding that PVC elbow by luck.

I'm installing a replacement holding tank. The output of the tank is on the bottom. I want to put a diverted valve right after the output of the tank so I can direct the sewage to a macerator, then to a thru-hull for direct discharge (when allowed)...or..direct the flow to a deck pump out when in a marina. The question is regarding the height of the diverted valve in relation to the holding tank outlet. Would it work if the diverted valve was located at the same height as the top of the holding tank? Or do I rely on gravity and have to locate the diverted valve at the lowest possible location (there's no way to locate the valve lower than the tank). I have heard conflicting opinions. Anybody have thoughts or experiences to share?

Sent from my iPad using Trawler

I'm installing a replacement holding tank. The output of the tank is on the bottom. I want to put a diverted valve right after the output of the tank so I can direct the sewage to a macerator, then to a thru-hull for direct discharge (when allowed)...or..direct the flow to a deck pump out when in a marina. The question is regarding the height of the diverted valve in relation to the holding tank outlet. Would it work if the diverted valve was located at the same height as the top of the holding tank? Or do I rely on gravity and have to locate the diverted valve at the lowest possible location (there's no way to locate the valve lower than the tank). I have heard conflicting opinions. Anybody have thoughts or experiences to share?

Sent from my iPad using Trawler

I think it matters less where the valve is...but you want a deep loop down in the hose leaving the tank so the macerator can empty better without sucking air.

I believe many have done this install without a "y" valve...they just use a "T" . ...

Would it work if the diverted valve was located at the same height as the top of the holding tank? Or do I rely on gravity and have to locate the diverted valve at the lowest possible location.

Here's a fact that will inform my own holding tank re-design: My previous boat came from the factory with the macerator mounted on the top of the tank, with a "T" off the hose that went to the deck fitting. No "Y" valve. This arrangement worked great for 10 years, pumping overboard when off shore and using pump-out facilities dockside.

I like this arrangement because it minimizes the number of fittings below the "waterline" of the holding tank. Murphy's law dictates that any failures in the waste plumbing will invariably occur when the tank is full. It's bad enough working on those hoses when empty.

No Y or thru hull is needed if you like KISS.

Simply use a fitting and hose in the deck fitting when the waste is pumped overboard.

Loads easier to pass inspection from the Fed Marine Poop Police too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom