What's the deal with all that wood in the cabins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Walt and others it actually is teak or the Willard Boat Owners Group dosn't know **** from teak. There probably is many kinds of Teak like there is many different kinds of Mahogany. It's all oily like all the other Teak I've been around. Feels and looks like teak but really I don't know. And on the cap rail it did turn black like everybody said it would after I quit coating it w my oil. Now I've got to get it through the winter and make a plan for spring. Anybody brought Teak back from black?

If anybody knows about TWP (Total Wood Preservative) finish please start a new thread about it. Comes from AMTECO. Not a marine product.
http://www.twp-AMTECO.com

I like the teak interior in our current boat, but there is so much of it it can be somewhat overwhelming at times. Also, being mostly teak veneer ply, one has to be a bit careful when attempting to refinish/repair it.

If I had my druthers, I would go with an interior somewhat akin to what we had on our previous wooden boat. It was solid mahogany trim and painted panels and was easy to repair/replace/build anew with and it visually lightens up the interior of the boat. Don't know if it qualified as a Herreshoff interior, but close.

Attachments

• Salon.jpg
    Salon.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Galley.jpg
    Galley.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Day Bed.JPG
    Day Bed.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 85
I'm with Mark!

Love the beautiful teak...:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Attachments

• Interior.jpg
    Interior.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. mb. Have you considered using a pressure washer on your caprail? Although quite harsh, it may drive the oxidized (black?) oil out of the pores. A light sand where the grain is raised and then re-coat as per your desires.
As to the OP's question...Wood just feels warmer even if it's just wood accents.

Last edited:
If I had my druthers, I would go with an interior somewhat akin to what we had on our previous wooden boat. It was solid mahogany trim and painted panels and was easy to repair/replace/build anew with and it visually lightens up the interior of the boat. Don't know if it qualified as a Herreshoff interior, but close.

I would say that classifies as a Herreshoff type interior.

I posted this and some photos over on this Pilgrim thread..
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/redesigning-pilgrim-40-trawler-canal-boat-11212-8.html
There is a considerable amount of wood trim in the original Pilgrim vessels. Much of it done in the 'Herreshoff traditional style' of wood trim boarding white flat panels. He would create white flat surfaces for cabin walls, bulkheads, ceilings, cabinetwork, etc, then use stained and varnished woods for all of the millwork trim, that being the corner post, drawer fronts, passageway doors, and so on.​

In those days the 'wood trim' was often a structural portion of the interior item, thus the carpentry skills required were even more elaborate. Nowadays the wood trim is of a 'cosmetic additional to the underlying structure. It can still accomplish the same Herreshoff 'effect'', but it is somewhat easier to build.

Quote from Brian Eiland:

In those days the 'wood trim' was often a structural portion of the interior item, thus the carpentry skills required were even more elaborate. Nowadays the wood trim is of a 'cosmetic additional to the underlying structure. It can still accomplish the same Herreshoff 'effect'', but it is somewhat easier to build.

Brian I may have misread what you meant here. There are boat manufacturers that build with GRP hulls and deck houses. The "furniture" is made to become a part of the structurals of vessel by tabbing the floors and bulkheads into the hull so that it becomes actually a part of the structure. These are mostly low volume and semi custom builders.

We rebuilt our pilot house an v berth . I work for hardwood lumber and we use a lot of African mahogany . When I'm not doing something mechanical on the boat I'm doing wood work . I like what wood does for the interior . I think a mix of painted surface along with wood is easy on the eyes .

Howdy Neighbor... Pete - we're all neighbors in da boating world! Specially due to TF and other Forums... :thumb:

Naw - You'll have to grin and bear it - I tain't no photo phobe. One good pict can last a lifetime. BTW - have we seen many picts from you and yours??? :confused:
Pick on Art - never - he's lovely. No that was just what my old grandpa called a bit of harmless joshing, eh Walt..?

As to some more pics of me and mine...well mine anyway, as the guy taking it is me...come to think of it it nearly always is me...that's why it lopoks like I was hardly there on our video of our UK trip I guess.
But here's my 2iC, youngest son, daughter-in-law, and eldest son's two kids, my grandchildren, sadly mostly in London now. Don't know how eldest son snuck out of the pic, but he did.

Now back on topic - what was it again...oh yes...why all the wood. Well, wood's just nice...best material there is, and it floats did you know..?

Attachments

• Image105.jpg
    Image105.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
>The wood interior covers/protects my boat's insulation.<

Have you checked to see how well the sprayed insulation burns?

Walt and others it actually is teak or the Willard Boat Owners Group dosn't know **** from teak. There probably is many kinds of Teak like there is many different kinds of Mahogany. It's all oily like all the other Teak I've been around. Feels and looks like teak but really I don't know. And on the cap rail it did turn black like everybody said it would after I quit coating it w my oil. Now I've got to get it through the winter and make a plan for spring. Anybody brought Teak back from black?

If anybody knows about TWP (Total Wood Preservative) finish please start a new thread about it. Comes from AMTECO. Not a marine product.
http://www.twp-AMTECO.com
Have you ever tried the two part Semco cleaner .I brought some pretty nasty looking teak back to life with this .

I think the timber gives a nice close warm natural feeling to a boat interior.
Sometimes there can be to much so it becomes a little dark and requires a little lightening up with nice light painted surfaces or other covers.

Attachments

• P1000284.jpg
    P1000284.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 83
  • P1000287.jpg
    P1000287.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 85
  • P1000432.JPG
    P1000432.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 72
  • P1000433.JPG
    P1000433.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 71
Allow me a question

If you don't put wood inside of your boat, either full walls or a nice trim, how can you possibly call it home?

Weird! Can you name a more convenient, safe, accurate, long lasting material for boat interiors?

Ben,
Very good point about too much wood being too dark and not reflecting the light. Our big Alaska house was all white inside w windows on the small side. Windows are a bad head sink. Plenty of light though because it was white. Boats in the sun are plenty light even w all wood but as the light fades they become a dark hole.

Nice and bright and there were no windows larger than the windows in these pics. Our present house has white and very light colors almost everywhere. Windows about the same as the AK house and it works.

Bilgewater's and dwhatty's Posts #14 and 32 are great examples of bright and cheery boat interiors.

Attachments

• STH71976 copy.jpg
    STH71976 copy.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 69
  • STH71973 copy.jpg
    STH71973 copy.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 66
  • STH71972 copy.jpg
    STH71972 copy.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
As to some more pics of me and mine...well mine anyway, as the guy taking it is me...come to think of it it nearly always is me...that's why it lopoks like I was hardly there on our video of our UK trip I guess.
But here's my 2iC, youngest son, daughter-in-law, and eldest son's two kids, my grandchildren, sadly mostly in London now. Don't know how eldest son snuck out of the pic, but he did.
Hi Pete,
What type of inflatable is that you have on the stern??

Wood sucks, in or out :whistling: ......I have tons of it and looks great.... but it still sucks. Just once I would like to leave the boat and not worry if I left a window or hatch open. I loathe closing it all up on a hot summer day to go shopping or whatever in fear of getting my paneling soaked by a sudden summer shower.

I recall seeing an advertisement in a magazine for Carver Yachts many years ago, the add had two pictures, one of a toothpick and the other of a Carver, the ad read something like "there is more wood in this than in our new Carver."

The ad was an obvious attempt to capitalize on the many disgruntled boaters who were fed up with rotting wood all over their boats which had been plaguing the industry at the time. Apparently, eliminating the wood was cheaper than using construction techniques to prevent the rot in the first place.

Wood sucks, in or out :whistling: ......I have tons of it and looks great.... but it still sucks. Just once I would like to leave the boat and not worry if I left a window or hatch open. I loathe closing it all up on a hot summer day to go shopping or whatever in fear of getting my paneling soaked by a sudden summer shower.

I recall seeing an advertisement in a magazine for Carver Yachts many years ago, the add had two pictures, one of a toothpick and the other of a Carver, the ad read something like "there is more wood in this than in our new Carver."

The ad was an obvious attempt to capitalize on the many disgruntled boaters who were fed up with rotting wood all over their boats which had been plaguing the industry at the time. Apparently, eliminating the wood was cheaper than using construction techniques to prevent the rot in the first place.

I think their point was probably talking about the construction techniques...ie no wood in the stringers and none in the laminate/core. Carver actually uses a good bit of interior wood....now and then. And their windows generally don't leak....now and then. I don't know what it is about the Asian builds and their inability to make windows that don't leak.

The wood interior covers/protects my boat's insulation.

ry%3D480

Wood is also handy for making closets, drawers, interior walls, etcetera.

img_185822_1_e99f74d7e841386e1f8315af1b01e487.jpg

And it looks beautiful.

Wow Mark - Now, that's a new pict! Insulation X 10!! Must be quite warm/cool depending on season. What in G's Name do you do if that insulation were for any reason to ever get wet??? Is it mold proof... it have airflow capabilities for general aeration or drying if necessary?

Attachments

• Art & Linda on TO - Maltese Falcon SF Bay Entry Spring 2009_100_1391.jpg
    Art & Linda on TO - Maltese Falcon SF Bay Entry Spring 2009_100_1391.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 73
"lovely"??? That's a First! Geeeez and LOL!! :dance:
Don't get too pumped up, Art. I think "lovely " in Australian means something quite different than you might think. (example: A face that would stop an 8 day clock?) :blush:

Don't get too pumped up, Art. I think "lovely " in Australian means something quite different than you might think. (example: A face that would stop an 8 day clock?) :blush:

:thumb::thumb::thumb: :rofl:

I like the traditional white flats with natural wood trim...but now that's harder with electronics as the white is picked up and reflected on the screens.

But a lot of people equate beautiful wood with quality...so much that Sea Ray in the beginning of last decade used to (maybe still does) use an interior material that was plastic covered photographs of cherry (I think) glued to a particleboard or similar. Looked nearly perfect (too perfect) till a little water got behind the plastic and mildewed.

Laminate Flooring Wood Products

But a lot of people equate beautiful wood with quality...so much that Sea Ray in the beginning of last decade used to (maybe still does) use an interior material that was plastic covered photographs of cherry (I think) glued to a particleboard or similar. Looked nearly perfect (too perfect) till a little water got behind the plastic and mildewed.
I wonder about such a product these days if the glue that was utilized to attach the plastic laminate were much superior to those older products,....and if the substrate were much superior also. I imagine those somewhat newer laminate flooring products are much more 'waterproof'.

Some of these laminate flooring products really look like wood.

Hang on, Pete is originally a Kiwi(cue the Haka!) and you must remember that this a country where Men are Men, and the sheep are nervous.

Boom Boom!

Edit: for our northern hemisphere members a few explanation notes.

haka

Last edited:
Brian wrote;

"Some of these laminate flooring products really look like wood"

Yes but I'll bet they are much heavier and dense. That would translate into hard and cold. One of the reasons Cedar is popular. It's warm in color and to look at but you KNOW it's actually warm to touch. The well ingrained perception of this warmth is probably the greatest magnet of wood in this day.

Hang on, Pete is originally a Kiwi(cue the Haka!) and you must remember that this a country where Men are Men, and the sheep are nervous.

Boom Boom!

Edit: for our northern hemisphere members a few explanation notes.

haka BEST Haka EVER on HD - All Blacks Haka - Rugby World Cup Final 2011 Vs. France - YouTube

WTF!! My kinda Guys!! - In da red uniforms that is!! :D

Don’t know bout dem white uniform fluffs! Wish I knew what the heck they were all screaming?? Sure enough audience in stadium watching em. :dance:

That a pre game national pastime?? LOL :facepalm:

Last edited:
The solution is no/little as possible wood outside, lots inside. We used a mid green upholstery inside with our teak interior, a bit dark but very traditional. The Oz built Kellick is an example of an all gelcoat interior (and a very good boat), it`s serviceable but totally stark white. Sunglasses might be good inside.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom