Those cold nights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Before someone started confusing 2 and 4 legged dogs, I was going to suggest all you need is a hot partner.
I have actually seen a 2 legged dog, it got about surprisingly well.
Three Dog Night was an Aussie band. Stockmen rated the coldness of the night on how many dogs were needed for comfort. There was a time the ex wife and I shared the bed with 2 German Shepherds. The dogs were warm.

I agree with the the dog part but I am pretty sure they were an American band formed in LA on the Left Coast.

Chuck Negron (b. June 8, 1942, The Bronx, New York, NY): vocals
Danny Hutton (b. September 10, 1942, Buncrana, Donegal, Ireland): vocals
Cory Wells (b. Emil Lowendowski, February 5, 1942, Buffalo, NY): vocals
Michael Allsup (b. March 8, 1947, Modesto, CA): guitar
Jimmy Greenspoon (b. February 7, 1948, Los Angeles, CA): piano, organ
Joe Schermie (b. Joseph Edward Schermetzler, February 12, 1946, Madison, WI; d. March 25, 2002, Los Angeles, CA): bass
Floyd Sneed (b. November 22, 1943, Calgary, Alberta, Canada): drums
Contributions to music:

• America's most popular pop group from 1969-1974, they scored one top 40 single every three months for almost six years straight

Perhaps the Aussie band was Three Dingo Night?

Attachments

• dingoes-preview.jpg
    dingoes-preview.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 71
I had heard years ago, and believed until I saw the definition below, that the name originated in Winnipeg.

Wikipedia reports:
Band name origin

The official commentary included in the CD set Celebrate: The Three Dog Night Story, 1965–1975 states that vocalist Danny Hutton's then-girlfriend June Fairchild suggested the name after reading a magazine article about indigenous Australians, in which it was explained that on cold nights they would customarily sleep in a hole in the ground whilst embracing a dingo, a native species of wild dog. On colder nights they would sleep with two dogs and if the night were freezing, it was a "three dog night".[1]

Before someone started confusing 2 and 4 legged dogs, I was going to suggest all you need is a hot partner.
I have actually seen a 2 legged dog, it got about surprisingly well.

Three Dog Night was an Aussie band.

Stockmen rated the coldness of the night on how many dogs were needed for comfort. There was a time the ex wife and I shared the bed with 2 German Shepherds. The dogs were warm.

"Aussie band" is the only part I disagree with. Members from USA, Ireland and Canada. I believe the band was formed in Los Angeles, California, USA .

Gee, I had always thought it was an Oz band. It was a term used here for stockmen droving cattle or sheep and camping overnight beside "the mob", and for swagmen. The latter were a kind of tramp, from Depression days, who walked from place to place in rural parts, carrying a "swag" (their personal possessions and sleeping bag), often accompanied by dogs. They often slept outdoors,the warmth the dogs could provide led to nights being classed as a one, two, or if really cold, a 3 dog night. Koliver pretty much nailed it, and although I loved the dingo pup photo David posted, I think more likely they were domesticated dogs, perhaps kelpie, an Australian breed of sheep dog, though I think it comes from mixed breeding and dingo may well be a component. (I was amazed once to see a red kelpie in Vancouver.)Another likely "breed" is the blue cattle dog, and also a range of crossbreeds . A big problem these days is maintaining a pure dingo, never forget they are essentially a wild dog.

Last edited:
I dunno Al. He sounds kind of "foreign" to this Yankee.

And just how do you do that? By rubbing 2 sticks together over a metal waste paper basket with tissue in it? :hide:

:facepalm: I'd draw you a picture, but I think there are rules against that here. :rolleyes:

Happy Daze and Hot Nights!!

I have a 12-volt electric blanket (from Amazon) that draws just 35 watts. It's dandy!

Link: Comfy Cruise 12-volt blanket

They come in two colors (red plaid that I bought or Navy blue and run about $25)
There is something rather decadent about going down below a few minutes before retiring and clicking the button to preheat my bunk. Somehow Skipper just doesn't quite meet the "Three Dog Night" requirement criteria in that she weighs in at 4 pounds 3 ounces.

DuvetCover.jpg

Now I will say there is one downside: The doggone thing cannot be washed. That didn't stop me for two years though as I'd whack off the controller and throw the thing in the washer, drier, then reconnect the four wires. Two are heavier (12 gauge) and two scrawny little things that were perhaps 30 gauge. Those I'd double over and use the small squishy connectors like you'd use for telephone wires. I'm not sure what they are called, but they worked so it's all good.

This time (finally after a couple years of abuse my connection skills failed) I made a duvet cover for it so washing will be a lot simpler.

Anyway, I love my blanket and at 35 watts I don't even think twice about being comfortable. I did write a rather long review for the thing on Amazon so if you're curious read it.

Janice aboard Seaweed, living the good life afloat...
Janice aboard Seaweed welcomes you to my world...

I was just at our local Costco and they had both thermal blankets and pads. They do run on 120v but the prices seemed fair. I believe the pad was 69 but don't quote me on it. Great thing about Costco, you can try it - if you don't like it take it back.

Similarly I've experienced a heated floor in a passive solar home I was considering years ago. Very surprising how the room could be kept quite a bit cooler if your bear feet were warm.

Of course I don't think this is a usable idea on a boat.
Ah...so. Now it's out. Brian is the real Bigfoot, Yeti, whatever. Or was he just talking about the bare necessities of life...which was sung by a bear..?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom