How would you seal this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
I have these access panels on the inside of our radar arch and I think they are a source of water into the storage lockers below. I find myself removing them fairly often, so a solution to seal them that allows regular removal would be ideal.

Any ideas?

P1020426 by GonzoF1, on Flickr

P1020427 by GonzoF1, on Flickr

3M colored electric tape would work and generally removes without residue.

Ted

I have smaller ones, and use silicone, but dont get in them often.

If you wanted to keep the panels easily removable a very thin stick on weather stripping might work.

If y9u do not want to open it up very often, then I wold use 4200 calking as its meant to come a part. Butle tape would alos work, but it might be hard to find.

I'm pretty sure I have a couple of new, unopened packs of LifeSafe, White Butyl Tape Part #: RE20761. Each roll is 20'. If you might be interested, send me a PM

I thought about Butyl Tape, but I don't want to have to reapply it every time I open it. Maybe Kevin's idea would work, but It would need to be pretty thin to not have the panel then sit out further away and collect even more water. What about a thin u-shaped piece of glazing around the edge?

Make a good gasket. Mask off each side of the joint, remove panel, chean, apply light coat of grease to one surface, apply silicone to the other, put in place but do not tighten, wait 24 hrs, trim excess, clean off grease.

Greetings,
It's camo so you won't see it...
th

Butyl tape at any decent RV supply place too and you should be able to reuse it as a gasket time after time if you don't REALLY smush it.

Smush... LOL :thumb::lol:
(haven't heard that term in a while... nicely played)

I have these access panels on the inside of our radar arch and I think they are a source of water into the storage lockers below. I find myself removing them fairly often, so a solution to seal them that allows regular removal would be ideal.

Any ideas?

P1020426 by GonzoF1, on Flickr

P1020427 by GonzoF1, on Flickr

so how much water actually gets in?.. is it leak into the overhead below?.. I have seen radar arches that it wasn't a leak issue so much as a venting problem that caused enough condensation to appear as a leak. Also really look at all the mounting points of all the stuff that is attached to the arch as a leak in a screw of a antenna base or other attachment could be causing the problem
HOLLYWOOD

Do you really need that amount of access on a regular basis? You might be able to seal it with something proven like butyl and install a round, inconspicuous water-tight inspection port or two where periodic access is really needed. The option to remove the entire panel would still be there if you ever needed to do that.

You need a permanent solution. How about taking down the arch and sealing up all the places this water could go below. Then re-mount the arch, leaving a drain for any condensate from the inside of the arch to drain out.

I don't NEED a solution. It would just be nie to have more dry storage. It's just putting water into Bess' line locker and other random storage that has drains to the outside. While I am ok with it, it sure would be a leak I would like to fix.

I have to get into the arch often enough as I fix and upgrade and add to the wiring in the arch that a reusable solution is paramount. I may try the butyl Tape solution, but this would be a lot of rolling the tape thin enough to let it close, but thick enough to seal it. Call it a "Happy Smush Point" :-D Does it come already rolled into a thin line?

I don't NEED a solution. It would just be nie to have more dry storage. It's just putting water into Bess' line locker and other random storage that has drains to the outside. While I am ok with it, it sure would be a leak I would like to fix.

I have to get into the arch often enough as I fix and upgrade and add to the wiring in the arch that a reusable solution is paramount. I may try the butyl Tape solution, but this would be a lot of rolling the tape thin enough to let it close, but thick enough to seal it. Call it a "Happy Smush Point" :-D Does it come already rolled into a thin line?

With butyl tape you will have to pry it open and possibly replace the tape each time. This is quite permanant stuff, they install windshields with it. I think a bad choice. I still like the reusable silicone gasket, I mentioned above, or small edpm weatherstrippingfor Home Depot

With butyl tape you will have to pry it open and possibly replace the tape each time. This is quite permanant stuff, they install windshields with it. I think a bad choice. I still like the reusable silicone gasket, I mentioned above, or small edpm weatherstrippingfor Home Depot

That was my take on BT too, but I have never used it, so I was taking the advice of others. However, I won't use silicone in this app. I may have to paint there eventually. And besides, it never turns out as neat as I would like.

nowhere's near permanent for the RV stuff and the stuff Compass Marine sells...it's like a little stickier than plumbers putty which could also be a solution for you ...

butyl tape rolled/pulled to an 1/8 inch line would seal yet provide little resistance to pulling apart...it's also very manageable without being messy, dripping, etc...etc.

once "lightly" smushed into place...it will be like a sticky gasket.....when pulled apart it may not stay intact but may wind up on both pieces in places..

when I did my windows last fall...I had a lot of squeeze out...this spring I scraped it all off when painting...am now reusing it to seal other additional items...

Permanent?...certainly not all butyl tape.

I would reccomend a thin silicon foam tape. This is a roll, not caulk. It is only sticky on one side so should be good 'forever'.

McMaster-Carr

Item 9332K31 1/16" x 1/2" x 30' $43.16 Not cheap but works well.

I do not recommend silicone for this application Tom but this video should increase your odds of success next time you do use it.

Denatured alcohol in a squirt bottle works as well but the dish washing detergent is far more benign and works well too.

...Denatured alcohol in a squirt bottle works as well but the dish washing detergent is far more benign and works well too.

Yup! :thumb: 409 or similar kitchen cleaner also works well and works on 3M 4200 or any of the caulks. I haven't tried it on 5200 (Satin's Glue) yet though.

I think Capn Craig has a good one. Pick the thickness .

No caulks here as they will also act as a glue. Even butyl rubber tape, and I use it, would likely not be best here. Not because it won't seal but if you want to remove it periodically then it will be more difficult, maybe a lot.

Compressible foam tape, the kind for sealing drafty windows etc?

I think the gasket idea mentioned earlier is the best solution. Possibly cork, bonded to one side.

"If you wanted to keep the panels easily removable a very thin stick on weather stripping might work."
I agree with Kevin. I think this is the only way you'll be able to frequently remove the panel without having to reapply sealant each time.
MDR sells 1/8" thick, closed cell, self adhesive, weather strip. I think I'd try that first.
It should compress to about half it's expanded thickness.

1301083961149-724214357.jpeg

CLOSED-CELL FOAM TAPE SEALS OUT MOISTURE,
WEAHTER, SOUND AND FUMES
NON-MOISTURE ABSORBING

PVC foam .125” thick tape is ideal for cushioning windows and doors. Absorbs shock and eliminates vibration. Prevents metal to metal contact.​
Size: 1/8" x 3/8" x 10'

Maybe you don't want to seal it; seal the leaks themselves and put in a drain and a couple of good vents. If you need access like you say, move the problem.

It should compress to about half it's expanded thickness.

1301083961149-724214357.jpeg

CLOSED-CELL FOAM TAPE SEALS OUT MOISTURE,
WEAHTER, SOUND AND FUMES
NON-MOISTURE ABSORBING
I used this stuff to keep water out of my lazarette and it worked great!

Attachments

• Cockpit Hatch.jpg
    Cockpit Hatch.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 67

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom