USS Zumwalt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwhatty

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
"Emily Anne"
Vessel Make
2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
USS Zumwalt

Whether or not these new DDG-1000 class ships will be effective for their intended missions, their new 155mm guns do sound impressive. (Not to mention their other modern armament).

"...capable of hitting targets up to 83 nautical miles away at 10 rounds per minute".

I used to think a WWII battleship's guns were impressive (and they were, being able to lob a much bigger diameter shell the weight of a VW Bug with great accuracy), but their range was about 20 +/- nms and I don't think that they could do more than a round or two/minute.

And the shape of the hull is certainly interesting. Eric might approve of the length to width ratio.

Attachments

• Zumwalt2.jpg
    Zumwalt2.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 145
Interesting bow on that ship. The last photo in the article makes it look like the bulbous bow hangs down and in front of the keel of the ship, and then behind the bulbous bow the keel is higher than the bottom of the bulb.

"Capable of...". Does that mean it has done that in trials, or that some engineer things that maybe it can do that?

The article said the christening had been delayed, but didn't say why. I wonder if the entire ship has been put on hold as some other navy ships have had done to them.

The article said the christening had been delayed, but didn't say why.

According to the article it was due to the government shutdown.

David, thanks for the link :thumb:

Odd that there is no visible anchor.

Last edited:
Odd that there is no visible anchor.

My guess is that since the ship is clearly designed to be stealthy, any anchors are hidden behind sliding panels that would be opened upon dropping anchor. A big giant hunk of iron or steel hanging off either side of the bow cannot be good for reducing a radar signature.

I would consider going back in to be a plank owner on her! I got to see the swath stealth ship back in the day but never got to go on board. Sure a long ways from the old BB's!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom