What's the deal with all that wood in the cabins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TNK

Hello everybody,

This is my first post on this forum, and my question might be taken as trolling, but I assure you that it is a legitimate question, and I am really curious. I am in the off topic forum, so I should be good.

So, what is the deal with all that wood in the cabins. It seems to me that any boat, no matter if it is big or small, luxurious or not, they all have a lot of wood in the cabins. And I can't understand why. There has to be better, cheaper materials out there. Just look at those pictures:

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/William+Whyte+Glimpse+Inside+Fishing+Trawler+YPfHOrir70hx.jpg
http://www.yachtworld.com/boat-content/files/2012/06/R31-5.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vAYwNsasVrY/S_mYO-sZE3I/AAAAAAAAHG8/m10DoI-FWKI/s320/DSC03830a.jpg

Every inch is covered in wood. I guess you all know what I am talking about.

Does it have something to do with prestige or is there a practical reason that I am missing? Because if you ask me, as a practical person, I would use the most appropriate material for the each use. I doubt that wood would top the list each and every time. And not only that it is not the best material, but it is expensive and hard to maintain.

I went ahead and moved your thread from the Off-Topic forum to the General forum so you can have a better chance for responses. Welcome to the forum.

Hello everybody,

This is my first post on this forum, and my question might be taken as trolling, but I assure you that it is a legitimate question, and I am really curious. I am in the off topic forum, so I should be good.

So, what is the deal with all that wood in the cabins. It seems to me that any boat, no matter if it is big or small, luxurious or not, they all have a lot of wood in the cabins. And I can't understand why. There has to be better, cheaper materials out there. Just look at those pictures:

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/William+Whyte+Glimpse+Inside+Fishing+Trawler+YPfHOrir70hx.jpg
http://www.yachtworld.com/boat-content/files/2012/06/R31-5.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vAYwNsasVrY/S_mYO-sZE3I/AAAAAAAAHG8/m10DoI-FWKI/s320/DSC03830a.jpg

Every inch is covered in wood. I guess you all know what I am talking about.

Does it have something to do with prestige or is there a practical reason that I am missing? Because if you ask me, as a practical person, I would use the most appropriate material for the each use. I doubt that wood would top the list each and every time. And not only that it is not the best material, but it is expensive and hard to maintain.

First of all Welcome,
There are boats available out there that have plastic interiors.. look for a older Bayliner and you should be able to fill the need for no wood.
Wood has better properties for longevity, doesn't get wet like fabric, doesn't pick up boat stink... and just plain looks better.
I am sure there are " cheaper" materials.. but who gets into boats to be thrifty?
I personally have not seen a boat without a wood interior that I wood
( pun) want.
HOLLYWOOD

Attachments

• boat int.jpg
    boat int.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 148
I personally have not seen a boat without a wood interior that I wood
( pun) want.
HOLLYWOOD
Of course you haven't! I'm pretty sure you're a teak & holly guy or is it a holly & wood guy? :blush:

(Man! That's lame isn't it?)

No wood = no rot = not really a trawler.
Timber boats are the last preserve of the cabinetmakers art. There are great skills in following complex curves and angles and, and concealing fixings. I saw 2 expert land carpenters fixing a timber hull, they had needed help from shipwrights for the hard parts.

LOL!! Oh, Walter!!! You're full of 'em tonight!! Did you eat Wheaties for dinner or straight grain alcohol?

Boats were made of wood.
Then they made swimming pools out of fiberglass and realised if it keeps water in it would probably keep water out so they turned the swimming pools over put engines in them and called them boats and to keep the traditional boat builders happy they lined them with wood.

Cheers
Benn

I once had a 20' Tasman 20 trailer yacht - had no lining except the smoothed gelcoated fibreglass inside. The PO had lined it up to window level with stuck on carpet. We then had a 26' Gazelle maxi trailer yacht - same again, only factory lined with a special material liner. Functional, light, but no character. Teak veneer beats that look hands down, and is not much heavier than material or vinyl liner, and weight for volume lighter than fibreglass, and in my 9 tonne CHB 34, (ie our kind of vessels), that weight is irrelevant. Does that help answer the question TNK..?

Hello everybody,

So, what is the deal with all that wood in the cabins.

TNK

Taint nutten wrong wit a Lil Bit O' Good Ol Wood Inside a Boat... of dat, we gots plenty, and enjoy the heck out of it's natural warmth! :socool: :D

It's the wood outside that requires MUCH care! :eek: Of that... we have virtually NONE, and enjoy this low-care feature of our Tolly Boat! :thumb:

Welcome to TF! Happy Boaten Daze!! - Art :popcorn:

Attachments

• Forward interior - Pilot and Galley.jpg
    Forward interior - Pilot and Galley.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 135
  • Salon Astern.jpg
    Salon Astern.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 122
  • TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
    TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 125
  • Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 134
Time to take some new photos Art...I feel like those folks in the pic are neighbours now...

>Every inch is covered in wood. I guess you all know what I am talking about.

Does it have something to do with prestige or is there a practical reason that I am missing?<

The concept was if the first time boat buyer (the usual TT buyer) saw lots of nice shelacked wood (eye candy) he would not look at the construction, wiring , engine setup, fuel tanks , and would not have the boat surveyed before purchase.

AN interior woodwash worked for about a decade until folks found out how their :teak decks: were installed.

In the 70s I made a nice living outfitting and trouble shooting these new boats .

Today their construction std. is well known and old boats are priced by weather the initial construction problems were solved or not.

Caviat emptot

Time to take some new photos Art...I feel like those folks in the pic are neighbours now...
and add some nick-nacks or something on the bulkheads. The boat looks kind of bare. :blush:

Attachments

• Tradition.jpg
    Tradition.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 116
I'm thinking the manufacturers want to add warmth and character to the interior. My 73 Gulfstar has teak faced plywood in the main salon and stateroom, and wood grain Formica everywhere else.:eek: At least they left out the bead curtains and lava lamp.:lol: Cheap and simple, I guess. We painted over some, and I covered most with bead board. Added a nice traditional touch and brightened up the interior.

Attachments

• DSC_0014.jpg
    DSC_0014.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 128
I think Willard used Willy in a boat show as there's much more wood on her than any other Willard I've seen.

In #1 pic the teak above and below the windows is not standard. Throughout the boat there is much more teak.

The 2nd pic is of Willy when we first saw her. Teak was all around the outside of the cabin ... just screwed on. We took it all off of course just before we went to Alaska. The plywood in the cabin would have been rotten by now if we hadn't. Had no bedding under the teak. The cabin's fine though. Must have been in covered moorage all her life .... until we got her.

I think the motto was "if you're worried if it will sell through some more teak on it". I like Willy being special though.

Peter you haven't seen the 2nd pic.

Attachments

• STH71158 copy 4.jpg
    STH71158 copy 4.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 123
  • willard 015 copy.jpg
    willard 015 copy.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
In #1 pic the teak above and below the windows is not standard. Throughout the boat there is much more teak.
Eric; Please forgive me if I'm dead wrong but the "teak" you speak of does not look like teak! I've never seen so many knots and slant grain on teak like that. It's very hard to tell from a photo but it looks more like cherry than teak.

Here's some shots of the teak in my boat. Note the grain.

Attachments

• IMG_4607.jpg
    IMG_4607.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_3857.jpg
    IMG_3857.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 114
Eric do you have a current picture taken from the same angle?

Attachments

• image-1030734172.jpg
    image-1030734172.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 99
Eric; Please forgive me if I'm dead wrong but the "teak" you speak of does not look like teak! I've never seen so many knots and slant grain on teak like that. It's very hard to tell from a photo but it looks more like cherry than teak.

Here's some shots of the teak in my boat. Note the grain.

Actually it looks like iroko, it is marketed as " poor man's teak ". I use it for wood to match the teak in my Ocean Alexander.. I have mixed a stain to look just like the old teak.. it fools just about everybody.

HOLLYWOOD

I like all the original wood on Eric's boat... now if I could get some of the
"niece's" from some of the other posts to refinish the wood .. life would be perfect.. but I am sure the Admiral would be less than happy!:socool:

I am not a fan of exterior teak but that teak around the cabin top of your boat looks pretty damn cool.

I generally try to avoid buying boats with exterior teak...in fact it is a criteria when shopping. If I feel the need to beautify the exterior of the boat, I just go out to the barn and grab a couple of these.....whom we shall call "woman".....we keep them in stacks down here in Texas!!!!

Attachments

• pancake.jpg
    pancake.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 101
and add some nick-nacks or something on the bulkheads. The boat looks kind of bare. :blush:

I get it now. It's "pick on Art day". I will say this. If everyone got as much enjoyment out of their boats as Art seems to get from his, the world would be a better place.

Happy boating daze, Art.:dance::speed boat::speed boat:

The wood interior covers/protects my boat's insulation.

ry%3D480

Wood is also handy for making closets, drawers, interior walls, etcetera.

img_185666_1_e99f74d7e841386e1f8315af1b01e487.jpg

And it looks beautiful.

Howdy Neighbor... Pete - we're all neighbors in da boating world! Specially due to TF and other Forums... :thumb:

Naw - You'll have to grin and bear it - I tain't no photo phobe. One good pict can last a lifetime. BTW - have we seen many picts from you and yours??? :confused:

Can always look up Mark's posts if it's different picts you require. Funny thing... I've read posts where people josh Mark for SOOOO many picts. Please tell me what is the correct pict number/count-amount/schedule??

Just for S&G - Say high to more of your neighbors! (Cooper's 13 yrs. this Dec 25! and Kylie is 10 now). I keep picts alive! :dance:

PS: Linda (Admiral) and I took these two grands cloths shopping last week - Coop's now size 12 "mens" shoes and a tight fit in mens medium cloths! Heck of a sportsman too! He adores basketball and goes to training on off season.

Attachments

• Linda, Art, Coop & Kyl - Full Size_100_1355.jpg
    Linda, Art, Coop & Kyl - Full Size_100_1355.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
I get it now. It's "pick on Art day". I will say this. If everyone got as much enjoyment out of their boats as Art seems to get from his, the world would be a better place.

Happy boating daze, Art.:dance::speed boat::speed boat:

Back at cha - Don!! :thumb:

Wood is also handy for making closets, drawers, interior walls, etcetera.

img_185674_0_e99f74d7e841386e1f8315af1b01e487.jpg

And it looks beautiful.

Surely does.:thumb: Seahorse II had the tradition thing right, too. The Herreshoff style of yacht interiors is also beautiful. Painted flat work with dark wood trim.

Last edited:
>Every inch is covered in wood. I guess you all know what I am talking about.

Does it have something to do with prestige or is there a practical reason that I am missing?<

The concept was if the first time boat buyer (the usual TT buyer) saw lots of nice shelacked wood (eye candy) he would not look at the construction, wiring , engine setup, fuel tanks , and would not have the boat surveyed before purchase.

AN interior woodwash worked for about a decade until folks found out how their :teak decks: were installed.

In the 70s I made a nice living outfitting and trouble shooting these new boats .

Today their construction std. is well known and old boats are priced by weather the initial construction problems were solved or not.

Caviat emptot

Nailed it, whether or not people wish to know it.

I guess is part tradition, part prestige, part personal preference.

I never owned a boat, so I guess I don't know anything about tradition. Probably ,if I will ever own a boat, I would try to fit it with the most suitable materials, which, most probably would be cheaper too. I also prefer cloth seats over leather in my car. I haven't yet meet anyone else with the same preference.

Thank you all for your answers.

Prefer cloth over leather seats too, but wood in a boat's interior is nice. Sure beats plastic or a rug on the walls.

Back
Top Bottom