View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
neworleansrich

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Catalyst
Vessel Model: 50 ft Power Cat
Speaking of cellphones in the Bahamas, rates for US roamers are crazy expensive, like $2.00+ per minute. Text rates are also crazy but thankfully no charge for incoming texts.

To beat the system, have people that want to get in touch with you text you first then you can call them back via Skype and wifi.

Install and set up the Skype app on your phone or computer before you leave. Add about $10 to your skype account so you can call cell phones and regular phone rather than just other Skype accounts. TEST IT BEFORE YOU LEAVE, get familiar with its use. Know how to set your cell phone to wifi only (For an iPhone you need to turn on airplane mode, then turn the wifi on and then connect to a wifi hotspot).

Larger marinas have pay wifi that is worth the nominal charge; particularly if you can use Skype. Bars and other shops usually have wifi that is too slow to use Skype but you might get lucky.

The last few trips I made down there I figure I saved over $1000. The last time I went and used my cellphone over the Batelco network, I had a $250 bill after 5 days of sun and fun.
neworleansrich is offline   Reply With Quote