Who Wears Safety Gear?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beachbum29

Guru
I insist that we wear hydrostatic auto inflators when doing any type close maneuvering, such as docking, and when we go outside the inlet to the ocean no matter what the conditions are.

Anyone else do this?

No, but I promised the Admiral that I'll wear an inflatable PFD when out of the salon while underway when boating solo (e.g. setting fenders, lines, antennas). I remember to do that about 90% of the time.

Me neither

Only when is rough out, otherwise nope.
Always in the dinghy......

Last edited:
Yep. It's the only way that I can get Lou to wear one. I want her in one when she is out on deck. Things like locking, fast current, and offshore are where we both wear them.

By the way, don't store them in a high humidity area like an exterior locker. Don't ask me how I know.

PFDs have their place. They may offer a degree of comfort, but don't think for a moment it's a life saving guarantee - take it from someone that almost died underwater while wearing a really expensive one :)

...better to not let things get that far...

Pop Quiz: You're at the helm when someone discovers that a person on board may be missing. Lets say you don't have a chart plotter, or that it's not turned on. What's the VERY FIRST THING you do??

All are "normally" seated in the cockpit for docking/close quarter maneuvering. Life jackets are never worn in the cockpit unless my boys are preparing to go on deck, usually for anchoring. I personally have never worn one aboard.

My wife and I wear a very comfortable type III that includes a whistle, pocket rocket flare, dye pack, mirror, small light, and utility knife when cruising on the outside or in Tampa bay--sometimes on the ICW. They also go on during foul weather or rough seas. We are both strong swimmers but I'd rather be safe.

I feel like this sometimes!

Attachments

• mate.jpg
    mate.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
No. But trying to train ourselves to use them when using the dinghy. Not doing do well so far.

PFDs have their place. They may offer a degree of comfort, but don't think for a moment it's a life saving guarantee - take it from someone that almost died underwater while wearing a really expensive one :)

Pop Quiz: You're at the helm when someone discovers that a person on board may be missing. Lets say you don't have a chart plotter, or that it's not turned on. What's the VERY FIRST THING you do??

Yell MAN OVERBOARD!

We've got ski vests and Type-I's. Ski vest goes on when cruising solo/calm on the deck, Type-I's go on if weather ugly and on deck. We'll keep them out in the cabin if very ugly. Our Type-I's have high reflectors and whistles.

Speaking of safety, have you seen the remote engine stop device that you can wear and stop your boat if you fall in. Seems cool. Requires shutdown solenoid not pull cable like my old engines.

Yes, when setting anchor, docking, generally when on deck. As well always in the dingy regardless of the distance travelled. Bill

Speaking of safety, have you seen the remote engine stop device that you can wear and stop your boat if you fall in. Seems cool. Requires shutdown solenoid not pull cable like my old engines.

Whoa. No. Freaking. Way.

I have not seen that. But how awesome. Very clever.

We wear auto inflatables as long as the boat is in motion. Annoying at times, but better safe than "wishing we had". Frankly, I think we are the only ones in our marina that use PFD's.

I use operational risk management whenever I get underway.

Having helped write it for DoD an d USCG I feel very comfortable with the way it affects my decision making....it's second nature.

Absolutes are for situations where one's decision making or reactions could be adversely affected. But you can factor those situations in and many other issues accordingly.

Some captains make a big deal about certain things when the reality is as long as they are accounted for in a plan...then you "manage risks" as your experience, gear, crew and environmentals allow.

I didn't use to wear a PFD. . . ever. . .except in the skiff. But had to set a better example for my kids growing up, who we always made wear a PFD's, when on deck or dock.
We wear our Mustang inflatable PFD's religiously now while fishing, crabbing, or anchoring. If we're going from point A to point B, usually not unless the sea conditions warrant it. They're so light; you hardly notice you're wearing one.

We wear inflatables when underway, switch to type 1 if conditions get rough. I've tried that drowning thing in rivers twice before and found it to be Highly Overrated. Finding comfortable inflatables helps. We've gotten use to wearing them and it is part of our procedures.

Nope.

Hint: it's something you do, not say....

:whistling:

You question was somewhat vague. Is there someone in the water or not? Yelling MOB is one of the first things you do to set off the alert to the entire crew. You also designate someone to watch the MOB. And you also throw the Type IV. All of these should be done almost instantaneously...while stopping the boat and getting it turned around.

And if you are looking for something like...."Stay calm...don't panic"...then there you have it!

Simultaneously stop the boat (kill the engines to listen for shouts) and turn on and push the MOB button on your GPS to mark your present location or use any other GPS devise (phones). If no GPS devises throw a flare to mark your spot.

Last edited:

your situation description is too vague to really answer...

I just pray you aren't going somewhere totally archaic like starting a Williamson turn of 60 degrees :rofl:

Simultaneously stop the boat (kill the engines to listen for shouts) and turn on and push the MOB button on your GPS to mark your present location or use any other GPS devise (phones). If no GPS devises throw a flare to mark your spot.

Almost. Good stuff for sure! But before you do all that... and even more important than where you are is:

Where have you been?

Step #1 - Look at the compass.

:D

Here in the PNW where the water temp is just a few degrees above freezing, wearing a PFD will just prolong the agony. If you are wearing one, it may take a half an hour to die. If you don't have one, it will be all over in 4 or 5 minutes. (Kinda kidding.)

Ron

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom