The Loopers are back in Chattanooga

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonstruck

Guru
Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
To my mind the side trip up the Tennessee River is one of the best on the Loop. Chattanooga makes a great cruising stop. Welcome Loopers.:thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_0456.jpg
    IMG_0456.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0457.jpg
    IMG_0457.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 187
Don: Is this photo current? I suppose some of those might also be headed for the AGLCA reunion, yes? I agree with the cruising on the Tennessee River. It's kind of a cruise in itself. We had intended to do the loop in 2014 (starting in Sarasota, FL), but now figure a year later We want to do the Tennessee and other tribs, but aren't sure how to arrange that right now. Perhaps we'll winter in Kentucky Lakes, then launch up the Tennessee in Spring, then finish the loop after. Pretty country up there. Who knows, maybe we would never leave.

Last edited:
I suppose somme of those must also be headed for the AGLCA reunion, yes? I agree with the cruising on the Tennessee River. It's kind of a cruise in itself. We had intended to do the loop in 2014 (starting in Sarasota, FL), but now figure a year later We want to do the Tennessee and other tribs, but aren't sure how to arrange that right now. Perhaps we'll winter in Kentucky Lakes, then launch up the Tennessee in Spring, then finish the loop after. Pretty country up there. Who knows, maybe we would never leave.

Yeah, Larry, most do this side trip when they cruise up the Tennessee to Joe Wheeler State Park for the AGLCA big fall meet up. It is definitely pretty country up here, but you are going to be in one of my favorite cruising areas. We will probably see you here or there.

My home is one block from where these pictures were made this afternoon.

I gotta ask......when you're heading 650 or so miles up the Tennessee, what's it like coming back down. That's a 1300 mile side trip. Of course, the current would be different. What about tows and barge traffic?

I gotta ask......when you're heading 650 or so miles up the Tennessee, what's it like coming back down. That's a 1300 mile side trip. Of course, the current would be different. What about tows and barge traffic?

Chattanooga is about river mile 470. Most places the channel is wide and deep. The turns are generally sweeping. Of course the deepest water is usually to the outside of the turn. If they think you know what you are doing the tow boats are very courteous. No real problem passing. Current will usually run about 2 knots or under. Only in extreme rain events will it be much faster. Easy cruising, and you can take a bath in the river.

Here is a video from a Looper made just down stream from Chattanooga.

watch

Thanks for posting, Don. Makes me homesick. Visiting home two weeks ago, we took the skiff down the gorge and up to Williams Island and made a great day of it. Friends of ours from PYC, Kent and Jane Overbeck, just returned to Privateer a couple days ago after doing the loop in their 34-foot Catalina sloop. Chattanooga is SUCH a different place than when I moved there 40 years ago . . . when they were still rolling the sidewalks up at night. :)

I'd be tempted to drop a line over on the trip up the Tennessee. The photo below shows a Tennessee River catfish. These beauties.....I mean this beauty was over 31 lbs.. And whenever you go ashore, you can be secure in knowing that your favorite Bob Evans Sausage Gravy and Biscuit dispenser is as near as the local gas station.

Attachments

• 31 lb. Tennessee River catfish.jpg
    31 lb. Tennessee River catfish.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 562
  • bob evans dispensers.jpg
    bob evans dispensers.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 492
Don: Is this photo current? I suppose some of those might also be headed for the AGLCA reunion, yes? I agree with the cruising on the Tennessee River. It's kind of a cruise in itself. We had intended to do the loop in 2014 (starting in Sarasota, FL), but now figure a year later We want to do the Tennessee and other tribs, but aren't sure how to arrange that right now. Perhaps we'll winter in Kentucky Lakes, then launch up the Tennessee in Spring, then finish the loop after. Pretty country up there. Who knows, maybe we would never leave.
When you come up make sure to stop at Paris Landing, we always have rum on board and maybe a home cooked meal. We live 15 minutes from the marina.

The photo below shows a Tennessee River catfish. These beauties.....I mean this beauty was over 31 lbs..
That's funny!! I'm still laughing!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Don I'm at the convention and several people have plugged Chattanooga as a great place to go. We are leaving Friday morning by truck to go back to the little Tennessee. If your available Dawn an I would like to stop and go to lunch at your little Italian lace.

I'm at the AGLCA rondevouxx at Joe Wheeler. I will be leaving Saturday for Chattanooga and will be there Tuesday night through Sunday night. Come by KaJen and say hello if you are in the area.

Arch

I'd be tempted to drop a line over on the trip up the Tennessee. The photo below shows a Tennessee River catfish. These beauties.....I mean this beauty was over 31 lbs.. And whenever you go ashore, you can be secure in knowing that your favorite Bob Evans Sausage Gravy and Biscuit dispenser is as near as the local gas station.

What fish?

Don I'm at the convention and several people have plugged Chattanooga as a great place to go. We are leaving Friday morning by truck to go back to the little Tennessee. If your available Dawn an I would like to stop and go to lunch at your little Italian lace.

David, I would love to have lunch with you and Dawn. Trouble is that I have just driven all day and arrived at the boat in Ft. Pierce. Let me know when you are in town again.

By the way, the restaurant is Portofinos at the corner of Ringgold Rd. and Mack Smith Rd. just off the East Ridge exit from I-75.

I'm at the AGLCA rondevouxx at Joe Wheeler. I will be leaving Saturday for Chattanooga and will be there Tuesday night through Sunday night. Come by KaJen and say hello if you are in the area.

Arch

Hey Arch,

I would love to drop by and meet you. I am coordinating an out of water insurance survey that should be done by the middle of next week. If so, the plan is to drive home Thursday. A grandson has a football game Friday night all the up in Greenville, TN that's about 150 miles. Maybe I will have some time around midday Friday.

Thanks for posting, Don. Makes me homesick. Visiting home two weeks ago, we took the skiff down the gorge and up to Williams Island and made a great day of it. Friends of ours from PYC, Kent and Jane Overbeck, just returned to Privateer a couple days ago after doing the loop in their 34-foot Catalina sloop. Chattanooga is SUCH a different place than when I moved there 40 years ago . . . when they were still rolling the sidewalks up at night. :)

Didn't Kent Overbeck work for Georgia-Pacific Corp.?

The loopers left Joe Wheeler this am. I believe someone said they had 56 boats and over 250 people attend.

Attachments

• image-1485726862.jpg
    image-1485726862.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 121
  • image-176394470.jpg
    image-176394470.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 124

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom