Florida Bay Coasters....any owners onboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
RunningTide
Vessel Make
37 Louisiane catamaran
I'm just now reviewing a book by Jay Benford titled "Small Ships"
....a book of study plans of Tugs, Freighters, Ferries, Excursion Boats, Trawler Yachts, Houseboats, & Fishing Vessels.

There is quite a variety of vessel designs presented in the book, with lots of plan dwgs, etc. One type of vessel design that is prominently associated with Jay is 'Florida Bay Coaster' designs. Here is that portion of his website that deals with these particular vessels:
Benford Design Group

So my question is are there some owners of these vessels on this forum?

Reuben Trane, the Florida Bay Coaster builder does post here occasionally.

There's a Coaster that shows up every year at the MTOA Rendezvous. Never been on one but I think they are really meant for Bay Cruising, very tall and probably subject to windage.

I am a big fan of the Fl bay coaster and have been on one in Key West and even with 20 people on board moving around the boat never moved just rock solid.

I almost bought one in CA that I was going to use as a business for taking couples cruising and the boat was under a distressed sale but in the end went with my Defever 49 RPH.

I spoke with the designer and builder of the Coaster and if you are really interested you would need to make sure you were able to stabilize it as they are known for rolling pretty good.

Maybe this would work for Galaxy girl?

There's a Coaster that shows up every year at the MTOA Rendezvous. Never been on one but I think they are really meant for Bay Cruising, very tall and probably subject to windage.

Probably MV Sails, it is beautiful boat and very roomy I was on it for a tour at one of the MTOA meetings. If I am not mistaken they do, coastal, cruise extensively. I believe they have a blog

People's Choice Adward, Water Lily

I'm getting ready to attend my first 'trawler boat show' "TrawlerFest" in Baltimore this week. While looking on the web, I noticed this 'press release that mentions the popularity of this style vessel at the previous 2012 TrawlerFest.

Congratulations to Florida Bay Coasters and the owner of the Water Lily for winning the sought-after PassageMaker People’s Choice Award by a land slide!

I'm getting ready to attend my first 'trawler boat show' "TrawlerFest" in Baltimore this week. While looking on the web, I noticed this 'press release that mentions the popularity of this style vessel at the previous 2012 TrawlerFest.

Brian: If my memory serves me, last time I spoke to Jay Benford, he recommended that I contact the owners of Water Lilly for a viewing. Nice people, and they are living down there on the Eastern Shore, MD, a nice side trip from Baltimore. I planned to be there as well, but am swamped with post-retirement crap for the foreseeable future....maybe forever.

Reuben Trane, the Florida Bay Coaster builder does post here occasionally.

From what I understand he is no longer involved with them, and supposedly left that project a long time ago....back during big tax increase on luxury items

Since then several new participants....hope to meet the latest folks soon.

....from another forum

Anyone Familiar with Great Harbor Trawlers ?
The boat above is named East Passage and has made many trips from Maine to the Bahamas. My boat has been to the Bahamas six times and from Savannah to Punta Gorda.

Yea, if you won't to cross oceans, even I would get a different boat with more draft. Where do you want to cruise?

Rolls a lot less than any round bilge Chinese Grand Banks knock off, and less than the 36 GB I had before.

Every boat is a compromise, just be aware of blowhard armchair naval architects.

p.s. I also own a Florida Bay Coaster and keep it in Northern Lake Huron.

Coaster Performance in Waves

As I've mentioned before I have been reading Jay Benford's very interesting book “Small Ships”, Working Vessels & Workboat Heritage Yacht Designs. On page 280, he is discussing the original development of the Florida Bay Coaster Design, a 50 footer. I excerpted the following passage from that discussion:

I still continue to get questions about her stability, even with the photos of loading the car aboard testifying she has a lot of stability. Right after the first boatshow in which she was exhibited, Reuben and I took the Florida Bay out the inlet at Ft Lauderdale and headed into the eight (8) foot seas that were coming in from the east. The winds had dropped to about 20 mph, after several days of gale force winds.

We poked into them, throwing spray, until we got into the Gulf Stream then turned south and took them on the beam for the next two hours. It was proof to use of how stiff she was in action. This bore out all of our calculations and the inclining test we'd done while still at the shipyard. After watching the Jeep vehicle rocking on its suspension, but never sliding on deck, I turned to watching her action as the waves heeled her. As the eight foot seas would approach, she would heel with the approach of each wave, but immediately start to right herself, heeling into the wave. She was effectively splitting the difference following the wave surface and trying to stay upright.

A photo I took on this outing let me measure the angle of the horizon agains a know level of the railings. This indicated that she was heeling a maximum of ten degrees in these eight foot seas.

Since that time she has made a number of crossing to the Bahamas and numerous coastwise trips. My own further experiences on her and several other Coasters has given me great confidence in their ability to take rough weather.

Attachments

• fla bay25.jpg
    fla bay25.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 287
  • fla bay coaster img20.jpg
    fla bay coaster img20.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,073
FROM THE OWNER OF STEEL MAGNOLIA:

All these supposed "experts" on the stability of a Florida Bay Coaster and I do not see any discussion in any of the threads where any of you have spent any time on board a Coaster or had an extended discussion with anybody who owns one (except for maybe Jay Benford who designed the boat). I guess you could consider him biased, but I happen to know he is a very smart individual and it's marketing fallacy to believe he would design a boat that was inherently unstable (initial, ultimate or otherwise).

I'm not an expert on Coasters like others in this forum. I'm just an owner of one. I am not a marine architect or designer, but I am a licensed tonnage Captain for both power and sail and an instrument rated multi-engine pilot. I have a pretty good understanding about stability and center of gravity issues. In an airplane essentially your life depends on positive stability (but hey, other than my life I don't give it much thought). So I guess I just don't understand what all this flap is about. You can say what you want, but here it comes from the horses mouth.... I have owned lots and lots of boats in my life and without question Steel Magnolia (my 50 foot Coaster) is the MOST stable boat I have ever owned. I consistently hang thousands of pounds waaaaay over the side in the form of a13 foot Boston Whaler, with a 40HP motor, gas and accessories, and the boat lists less than three degrees. I have not been hit by a gust of 75 miles per hour, but I clocked one right on my beam at 65 miles per hour (close enough) and the boat heeled over, but only a mere 5 degrees. I have been in every kind of sea and again the boat is more stable than most boats. As I read through these threads I see a lot of "I feel this, or I think that". Stability is a math problem. It's either stable or it AIN'T. It may be hard for you to believe but if you do the math this boat has positive stability almost through being completely upside down. How many boats can say that? The fact that it appears to be high and have a large sail area makes no difference. If it did every cruise ship in the world would fall over because they sure do look tall for how wide they are, don't they? When was the last cruise ship you saw tip over? This boat has been to the Bahamas to St. Thomas etc. So to call it a houseboat (wow) or a dock sitter is not accurate.

As for considering the boat ugly, you know what's funny...? 10% of the people come up to me on the dock and say wow, that's an ugly boat. I just laugh because I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You guys being wood boat owners should get that. However the majority of the people (including myself) really like that tramp freighter look. And as for steel vs. wood, I think we're both out of our minds!!!! But hey, I got ya beat when we’re stuck on a reef or something equally as hard.

Blogs are about opinions, and I'm all about that. I just get a little tweaked when somebody starts stating something as fact when it's not fact.

CURT
Owner, 50' Florida Bay Coaster Steel Magnolia

FROM THE OWNER OF STEEL MAGNOLIA:

All these supposed "experts" on the stability of a Florida Bay Coaster
CURT
Owner, 50' Florida Bay Coaster Steel Magnolia

Brian:

What did I miss, I have seen no meaningful dissing on this thread towards the Steel Magnolia and its cousins, just the normal they are too tall stuff. . It seems to me that Reuben and Jay have a well respected and good professional reputation as viewed by (most anyway) the TF folks.

Last edited:
Cruise aboard the Bonny Blue on the Dismal Swamp Canal.

I was a partner in the financing and construction of this boat , that might be big enough for some.

Failed at being a cruise boat as the USCG decided on crew manning levels (+200%) that could not be met .

Perhaps she is for sale for someone that wants a great Roomeran.

Brian:

What did I miss, I have seen no meaningful dissing on this thread towards the Steel Magnolia and its cousins, just the normal they are too tall stuff. . It seems to me that Reuben and Jay have a well respected and good professional reputation as viewed by (most anyway) the TF folks.
I was not suggesting there was any dissing here on this subject thread. Rather I was sort of making a record of various 'positive views' on the capabilities of these vessels as I ran across them in my various searches on the internet.

There have been a significant number of 'naysayers' as to the capabilities of these tall Fla Bay Coasters, and the Great Harbor Trawlers on a number of forums, but most of them seem to come from those that have not actually spent any time on one.

Just recently one broker expressed concerns over their capability to travel to the Bahamas, but they had never been aboard one of the vessels underway, nor done due diligence research.

I've never been aboard one of these vessels underway, and when I first viewed them I was sceptically as to their handling rougher waters.

One of the reasons I started this subject thread was to see if any other owners stepped forward with a reply, positive or negative. Seems we don't have many (or any) who frequent the forum?

Attachments

• music box.jpg
    music box.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 139
...from another forum...

Re: Anyone Familiar with Great Harbor Trawlers ?
Just what do you mean by open ocean cruising? I own a GH 47 and submit that even the manufacturer will say that some ocean voyages are possible but basically these are built for coastal water. That said the manufacturer routinely runs his N 47 between the Bahamas, and Savanah offshore. One N 37 did make a voyage to Hawaii, and last year a N 47 went to the BVI's via the DR and Puerto Rico, but other than the one Hawaiian trip the other 20 owners I know use their vessels up and down the east coast, through the Bahamas and the Gulf, and the great Lakes.

As far as the conjecture in the above thread as to the ride let me correct any impressions given by these experts without experience. I have the GH with the greatest windage and the ride is very soft, without any sharp motions at all. This was a concern of mine before purchase and my concern was alleviated by spending a hour or two with the naval architect who designed the boat, and several other owners. I have had little difficulty docking in any condition worthy of venturing out. I have anchored out until wind conditions abated for docking, but I did that with the Grand Banks I owned prior. In fact I would put the Great Harbor ride above that of the Grand Banks because of the hard chines. The GH hard chines and low center of gravity cut the motion by about half.

True there are no low side decks, but the boat deck runs around the entire vessel and who does not use pre rigged lines when approaching a dock? We spend a lot more time in the full width saloon than we do docking. There also is the argument for the twin engines where the boat has excellent manueverability in reverse. We almost always back into slips where we don't get a T head, but we only ask for T heads because we tow a 17' skiff and the T head saves dropping the skiff off at the fuel dock.

Lastly regarding sailing at anchor, these vessels do sail, but having anchored in the same places as our friends with similar designs from DeFever and Krogen, their sailing at anchor is similar as well. The cure for sailing is a second snubber line (we use two, one from an eye on the bow near the waterline, and attach both to the same spot) on the anchor chain led aft to a cleat halfway between midships and the stern and adjusted to keep the wind on one side. The same can be accomplished with a stern anchor deployed with a dink on the upwind side, and don't forget one can always move to leeward anchorage where available as sailors have for years. Actually inside the boat the sailing is hardly noticeable, but it makes for caution when entering the dink.

All boats are a compromise (duh), we chose the GH because of several factors the greatest being the shallow draft (2'11"). We have cruised the Abacos each of the last three years and routinely are able to use passes and anchorages unthinkable to Krogens, Nordhavens, etc.

If you are not going to cross oceans why buy the boat designed for it at probably twice the price? If you are crossing oceans then the Great Harbor is not for you, but not for the misguided reasons in the thread above.

Sounds like a lucid, rational evaluation coming from experience on the GH. These GH series do look windy, but the N-series don't. I'd love to hear the same evaluation from an N-series owner. God, to have an engine room like the N-series.

I want one...

Perhaps having the words "bay" AND "coaster" in in the name gives folks the idea that it's not an open water boat.

Just saying.

There's one for sale right down the road from here. It has a hottub on the top deck. Guess you have to drain it each time you get underway?

Guess you have to drain it each time you get underway?

Maybe it's "self emptying"?

FWIW, many larger boats have a system to drain the pool into a tank located low in the hull. The water is pumped back when at anchor or alongside. The system saves a lot of treated potable water.

Maybe it's "self emptying"?

FWIW, many larger boats have a system to drain the pool into a tank located low in the hull. The water is pumped back when at anchor or alongside. The system saves a lot of treated potable water.

Hopefully the wipers on the pilothouse are very effective.

I would like to go see this one.

There's one for sale right down the road from here. It has a hottub on the top deck. Guess you have to drain it each time you get underway?

Yeah, I've seen that boat. You gotta have a lot of confidence in the strength of your deck to put a hot-tub on it. Calculating the change in CG is pretty scary. When my Admiral and I were entertaining a lot in Miami, I called Krogen to find out how may people I could safely hold on my boat deck. The response was 15 average adults, but they warned me not to leave the dock. If something on one side of the boat caught everyones attention and they all rushed to look, the weight transfer may not capsize the boat, but a few may be in danger of going over the rail.

If something on one side of the boat caught everyones attention and they all rushed to look, the weight transfer may not capsize the boat, but a few may be in danger of going over the rail.

The USCG test for Inspected Vessels is 1/2 the freeboard can submerge with the full Pax count lining the rail.

Might be fun to do your own test , a keg should get as many subjects as required.

Getting a realistic weight from the guys is easy , from the gals ????

The test assumes there is no port in the hull side, or it has a metal sealing cover that is required to be closed & sealed underway.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom