Underway Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gulf of Maine. Entering NY

Attachments

• GOPR0344.jpg
    GOPR0344.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 71
So my point, just because we can protect our kids from risk, doesn’t mean we should.

I guess I should have said "crewmember" if the "teenager" description is somehow supposed to invalidate my point. It is equally irresponsible to let an adult jump over the side in 10 foot seas. This has nothing to do with parenting and everything to do with seamanship and good judgement while operating a boat with passengers onboard.

It's not like it was life-saving effort. Even if it was, that kind of unplanned and unprepared attempt by an untrained and unequipped person all to often ends up with 2 dead instead of just one.

If the seas were too rough to put the larger boat close enough to put a line on the tender then what was the plan to recover an exhausted and hypothermic swimmer?

It is equally irresponsible to let an adult jump over the side in 10 foot seas.................

If the seas were too rough to put the larger boat close enough to put a line on the tender then what was the plan to recover an exhausted and hypothermic swimmer?
Couldn't agree more! :thumb:

Daddyo,

Very nice pix. It's a lot of fun following your trip.

I must of missed it somewhere, but did you post a quick summary of your itinerary or a float plan?

The shots of Manhattan were excellent. I cruised the area frequently, but never at night, perhaps the #1 reason is the debris I see during daylight. But, from the experience point of view I'm sure it was awesome. I love night cruising, just never did around the city,

I wonder why did you decide traveling at night? How many miles were you planning to cover in a single leg?

I guess I should have said "crewmember" if the "teenager" description is somehow supposed to invalidate my point. It is equally irresponsible to let an adult jump over the side in 10 foot seas. This has nothing to do with parenting and everything to do with seamanship and good judgement while operating a boat with passengers onboard.

It's not like it was life-saving effort. Even if it was, that kind of unplanned and unprepared attempt by an untrained and unequipped person all to often ends up with 2 dead instead of just one.

6' not breaking with decent frequency at the time. 20' swim. Marathoner, wrestler, weight lifter 17yr old stud. 73 degree water. No way to hook the front of a whaler only the engine, which would have sunk it. Can you please get your head wrapped around the reality and not your vivid imagination? Now for God's sake please move on to the many topics on which you do have valuable information to share.

Last edited:
Daddyo,

Very nice pix. It's a lot of fun following your trip.

I must of missed it somewhere, but did you post a quick summary of your itinerary or a float plan?

The shots of Manhattan were excellent. I cruised the area frequently, but never at night, perhaps the #1 reason is the debris I see during daylight. But, from the experience point of view I'm sure it was awesome. I love night cruising, just never did around the city,

I wonder why did you decide traveling at night? How many miles were you planning to cover in a single leg?

Several reasons for the night passage. Had to time the current, had to wait for a weather window, wanted to show my dad the once in a lifetime view of the city at night, wanted to get a crew member south to a scheduled drop off. Had to complete the offshore leg before a forecasted front. With the city lights and the moon it was very easy to see the water and any possible debris. If you ever get the chance I would highly recommend it. The other added benefit is much less ferry traffic. My wife is aware of our daily float plan. No daily schedule we let weather and conditions decide how far we want to go. It might be several days nonstop or many hours.

Manhattan

Attachments

• IMG_0121.jpg
    IMG_0121.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0139.jpg
    IMG_0139.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0149.jpg
    IMG_0149.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0200.jpg
    IMG_0200.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0211.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0226.jpg
    IMG_0226.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0261.jpg
    IMG_0261.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Great photos! Can I "borrow" a copy of Liberty?

... please move on to the many topics on which you do have valuable information to share.

I'll try one more time, the previous response to that post seems to have vanished into the ethers.

One of the topics on which I have valuable information is marine safety. If my pointing out the danger of such acts serves to make one boater stop and think about letting anyone or suggesting that anyone jump over the side for any reason then it is valuable information.

Recreational boaters kill themselves and others for the same reasons in the same way year after year after year, maybe it is because no one likes to hear about how stupid the reasons and ways are.

Why do some readers want to silence the message rather than question the wisdom of those who want to defend the act?

Last edited:
Just want to use it for my desk top! Credit will be given:)

I'll try one more time, the previous response to that post seems to have vanished into the ethers.

One of the topics on which I have valuable information is marine safety. If my pointing out the danger of such acts serves to make one boater stop and think about letting anyone or suggesting that anyone jump over the side for any reason then it is valuable information.

Recreational boaters kill themselves and others for the same reasons in the same way year after year after year, maybe it is because no one likes to hear about how stupid the reasons and ways are.

Why do some readers want to silence the message rather than question the wisdom of those who want to defend the act?

The point is made, Rick. And it is a very important one! Anytime you put someone over the side should NEVER be taken lightly. I think everybody understands. And if they don't, you have done your best in trying to educate them. So let's move along.

Last edited:
Daddyo,

I generally do not post anything on here, but I just have to tell you how much I enjoy your trips & photos. I look forward to them. I also would like to know what marina in Deltaville you are ending up at. We have our trawler at Remlik Marina just above Urbanna in La Grange creek, So feel like you are almost a neighbor....May the rest of your trip be a safe one, and keep the good reading & photos coming.....

Frank

The point is made, Rick. And it is a very important one! Anytime you put someone over the side should NEVER be taken lightly. I think everybody understands. And if they don't, you have done your best in trying to educate them. So let's move along.

Digital age conversations, what fun:facepalm:. Imagine how short these exchanges would have been if the opinions would have been expressed face to face. Oops, I just made it a little longer:nonono:

... you have done your best in trying to educate them.

You are right, Baker, I have done my best. Some people still believe Walbridge was a heroic victim of fate ... I guess it goes to show that ignorance really is bliss.

AAAA-MAZING photos of NYC......WOW. Thanks for sharing!! :thumb:

Inner harbor Baltimore is no NY but a lot of fun anyway.

Attachments

• 20131016_195211_LLS[1].jpg
    20131016_195211_LLS[1].jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 20131016_195243_LLS[1].jpg
    20131016_195243_LLS[1].jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
AAAA-MAZING photos of NYC......WOW. Thanks for sharing!! :thumb:

The most amazing visual and still shots I have of NYC are from the Staten Is ferry. Those tens of thousands of commuters every day have quite a view too.

A few others from yesterday on the Delaware Bay. Last pick is on the C&D (Chesapeake and Delaware) Canal last night.

Attachments

• IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Wow, stunning shots.

Holy smokes, Daddyo. That last shot could be framed as a work of art. Incredible shots. Being a Baltimoron, I appreciate those shots as well.

A few others from yesterday on the Delaware Bay. Last pick is on the C&D (Chesapeake and Delaware) Canal last night.

The last image looks like the rt. 896 / summit bridge. We used to live just east of there a few years ago. Summit Bridge Farms.

That lighthouse pic is amazing!!!!!

Thanks a million for the compliments!! Glad it's well worth the effort.

for those joining us late you can track us on marinetraffic.com MMSI #913030566

Baltimore is a great stoop in that your anchored in the middle of the city if and only if you're really lucky. The Anchorage is only big enough for one boat and this city has deemed it a good idea to charge you $20 to land your dinghy for 5 hours. Not exactly what I would call welcoming to the cruisers. Keep in mind virtually every where else on the Chesapeake dingy landing is free and many towns have free non-overnight dockage for the mothership as well.

I think it would make a good boater's version of a Halloween picture.

Daddyo, I've been lurking on here for quite awhile and have enjoyed your tales and the photos you've shared with us.

Thanks a lot for taking us along on your trip. It's always nice to see photos of where others enjoy their boats.

GFC

You're falling down on the job. Post some pictures - Bum!

Annapolis my home town.

:D

Kinda missing it.

Back
Top Bottom