Follow the Alaskan Sea-Duction's Adventure Up the West Coast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Final update with pictures on blog. Wish we had a few more pics.

Really enjoyed reading your blog, you two did a great job, well done.

Last edited:
Great write up. Very realistic. The tension was felt. Thanks for taking us along on an amazing trip.

Can't wait to do it again, but slower. I also got my genny manuals, so I have all my literature and the original sales brochure and owner's manual.:thumb:

Still can't believe I have a 48ft boat at my dock.:rofl:

Great trip report, Tom. I almost got a knot in my stomach reading some parts. (no not the nausea parts...)

The only portion I'm trying to visualize is this: " I quickly learned how to do this by observing the charter boat. Stern to the wave and maneuver your boat sideways or horizontal starboard. " Can you expound on this?

You must have felt a great sense of accomplishment when the CG called to say "Great job across the bar."

Welcome home! Thanks for bringing us along!

Thank you. The blog is great, you really convey what was happening. A fine team effort.

The only portion I'm trying to visualize is this: " I quickly learned how to do this by observing the charter boat. Stern to the wave and maneuver your boat sideways or horizontal starboard. " Can you expound on this?

At the second part of the bar, you have to go across the rollers on the stbd beam. They were not tall, but could be dangerous if you roll. So I learned that you let the rollers come under you boat on the stern (just like following seas) and with rudder and port engine you move sideways to stbd. Do this a few times, then you ease into smother current, throttle up and head up river.

Now I get it. Having never been in a crossing like that, I needed help. Maybe now I'll be better equipped to deal with it after your experiences. Thanks!!

Thanks for sharing! ...

No, that wasn't a ferry. It's the training ship Golden Bear of the California Maritime Academy in Vallejo. It serves as a dormitory for many of the students and takes overseas training trips during summers.

img_184115_0_bbbd43dcbaed30d59654fc474d2af85a.jpg

Now I get it. Having never been in a crossing like that, I needed help. Maybe now I'll be better equipped to deal with it after your experiences. Thanks!!

Al, are you planning on exiting the Gate?

img_184116_0_e78d23048ea7d577789cb8ac66376124.jpg

... So I learned that you let the rollers come under you boat on the stern (just like following seas) and with rudder and port engine you move sideways to stbd. ...

So what's a single-engine sailor supposed to do? Have/use a large rudder?

So what's a single-engine sailor supposed to do? Have/use a large rudder?

Enter during slack or flood.

Funny you would ask as one of the guys that dropped off my crew (no fault of his, just timing issues) got caught on the bar in a sail boat with a little motor, was just about out of fuel and the bar was nasty. He got stuck in the middle of the bar (not grounded) because he didn't have the power to cross on an ebb tide. The Coast Guard sent a boat out, gave him some fuel, then ran interference for him so he could get in. The Coasties boat was blocking the waves so he could move forward.

This is most likely the best pic of the entire trip. Taken by Geoff of "Dancing Angels."

And of coaurse this one taken yesterday at Sand Island near St. Helens OR.

Attachments

• rsz_dscn5324.jpg
    rsz_dscn5324.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 86
  • Ocean pic.jpg
    Ocean pic.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 93
At the second part of the bar, you have to go across the rollers on the stbd beam. They were not tall, but could be dangerous if you roll. So I learned that you let the rollers come under you boat on the stern (just like following seas) and with rudder and port engine you move sideways to stbd. Do this a few times, then you ease into smother current, throttle up and head up river.

The CG was right. That was a good job of coming across the bar. You are a fast learner, and adapted very quickly. I don't think there is a good way to teach inlet running without feeling what is happening to a particular boat. Different boats will react differently. Inlets have different patterns at any given time. This is definitely when having abundant power is your friend.

A twin screw planing hull will have small rudders that are not very effective at slow speeds. Power differential steering is definitely the way to overcome this. A displacement boat will usually have a single engine and a big rudder. Takes a lot of wheel turning, and pouring on all the power available at times.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom