A nice fall day on the Columbia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GFC

Guru
Here are the pics I promised earlier in another thread. These were taken on 10/6 when GW and I cruised up to a waterfront restaurant for a libation and some oysters and calamari. It turned out to be a beautiful day....70*, zero wind, just a few other boats out there. Darn near perfect.

Here's GW at the helm so I can take these photos. She used to hate to drive because she felt overwhelmed by the whole thing. Now she loves it.
img_184446_0_5b7c6f108ff30a23017fab243a14e93e.jpg

Here we're heading upriver from our marina. That's "Sleep H", an Ocean Alexander from CIYC, coming out behind us.
img_184446_1_89b7bc7a3e5a85dcb86ce91131b0dbb2.jpg

Here's the obligatory wake shot. At this point we're just above hull speed, running about 9.8 kts.
img_184446_2_68b64de32730f1e94051ec8cb2209c69.jpg

Ya gotta love these nice, warm days when the sun's out nice and bright and there's no wind. Love it.
img_184446_3_f809954c93562fd63cb3d85e4d386aec.jpg

A shot along the port side. The fenders are out in preparation for our docking at the restaurant.
img_184446_4_827f133c6a1b2a67b690f8d28d4d709f.jpg

This was on the way back. We're coming to one of the few other boats out there that day.
img_184446_5_a63c9ae4cc4d7eff1844cbff671a9fcd.jpg

One of the greatest things about where we live is that we get to boat all year, and we have these great days in October and November when we can boat in shorts on calm waters with few other boats out there. I've been here almost 37 years and it would take a LOT to get me to leave our area.

Pardon my ignorance GFC, where exactly do you live? Nice shots by the way.

Hey- we're in Kennewick for the night....well, last night :)

headed back to Seattle today....

AndyG, not a case of ignorance but more of unfamiliarity with our country. I'd be in the same situation if someone asked me a question about Aus.

We live in the SE corner of WA, right on the Columbia River, just upstream from where the Snake River connects with it. It's a desert climate with very little rain, sagebrush, low humidity and beautiful blue skies.

If you want to see closer maps of the area, look for:

46.12.988*N
119.06.730*W

img_184553_0_f69a816336cfbca7545f7b214bf36d4c.jpg

We are somewhat limited in the boating destinations we can choose, but we have about 340 miles of the Columbia to boat on and 155 miles of the Snake, so there are lots of new places to explore.

Sorry about my ignorance as well but is it navigable from where you are to the Pacific?

Thanks for that, looks a nice part of the world. Notice you have a place called Moscow a little to the North East of you, any relation to the other Moscow?

Irdiverdan, you bet. It's about 335 miles down the Columbia River to the Pacific. In that trip we go through 4 sets of locks and some of the most beautiful country you've ever seen. There are also 4 sets of locks between here and Lewiston, Idaho.

If you want to see what this area looks like, here's a thread you can check out from when we brought the boat upstream from Portland.

Bringing Beachcomber Home

Andy, fortunately there's no connection between OUR Moscow and Putin's Moscow. Moscow, Idaho is the home of the University of Idaho and is well known for producing some of the finest spuds in the world in that area.

GFC,
As much as I like the open ocean, I envy the your opportunity to access beautiful waters like that. It's a gorgeous part of the world.

I was born and raised a few hundred miles north of you, across the border on the upper reaches of the Columbia and Kootenay rivers. The water is a lot faster moving up there. I'll be back there next week to reacquaint myself.

AusCan, that's some beautiful country you're headed to, and a loooooong way from OZ. Have fun, but don't freeze while you're up there.

Oh, and don't forget to post some pics of that area.

Irdiverdan, you bet. It's about 335 miles down the Columbia River to the Pacific. In that trip we go through 4 sets of locks and some of the most beautiful country you've ever seen. There are also 4 sets of locks between here and Lewiston, Idaho.

If you want to see what this area looks like, here's a thread you can check out from when we brought the boat upstream from Portland.

Bringing Beachcomber Home

Thanks for sharing the link...Interesting read...:thumb:...You are correct the Pacific Northwest is a beautiful part of the country...;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom