Underway Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
6-9 off jersey today. Calming some later.

Last week it was running up to 16' in areas, gale force winds with small craft advisories along the new England coast.

Last week it was also a full gale in Cabot straights (Gulf of St Lawrence) Seas up to 21'. I was trying to keep wheelhouse windows from being blown out (at clutch). Deck lights 22' above water were ripped from steel mounts.:banghead:

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 83
Headed out again. Of course if that is OK with you Rick. My child is a 17yr old man. Sailing intentionally into a hurricane? What the hell are you talking about? If you want to take this off line I'm game.

Sorry Ben, I was not the one who suggested that the guy who let his kid jump overboard in 6-10' seas was making up the size of the waves. I take him at his word ... you can call him a liar if you like but I just call it really bad judgement, right up there with keeping the family onboard while anchoring in the path of a hurricane, or intentionally sailing into one.

More and more this sounds like a future Robin Walbridge, defended by those who don't know any better and probably on the road to killing someone.

Your out of line

Last edited:
Guys!
Ease up!

Everyone has an opinion, state it and move on. No one is going to agree with everyone all the time.

Most folks here have great stuff to offer, listen, use some stuff, ignore some.

Life is too valuable, and way too short for silly stuff.

I have learned a lot from both of these seasoned sailors.

Let's all act decent to each other.

Mark

Guys!
Ease up!

Everyone has an opinion, state it and move on. No one is going to agree with everyone all the time.

Most folks here have great stuff to offer, listen, use some stuff, ignore some.

Life is too valuable, and way too short for silly stuff.

I have learned a lot from both of these seasoned sailors.

Let's all act decent to each other.

Mark

X2

So Daddyo, what's the draw to Deltaville? Winter in the water under a roof or staging for a trip south?

Dave

I'm hauling out for some much needed cosmetics. We might go the shrink wrap route or maybe a covered slip.

Picture is heading into the East River. Hope to get some great Manhattan at night pictures.

ForumRunner_20131014_183533.jpg

Daddyo, thanks for taking time to do this thread. I for one will most likely never see the real view of the picture you just posted. That's a long way from my neck of the woods. Keep em' coming.

If you know what you are doing you don't let teenagers jump over the side in 6-10' seas with the idea of boarding a drifting tender.
Couldn't agree more! I don't see anything "macho" about a 17 year old going over the side to secure a dinghy. BTW, I was a helicopter rescue crewman in 1961-1963 and we never even practiced in those conditions.

Couldn't agree more! I don't see anything "macho" about a 17 year old going over the side to secure a dinghy. BTW, I was a helicopter rescue crewman in 1961-1963 and we never even practiced in those conditions.
musta been Navy like MY son (HH60 rescue swimmer on the USS Antietam right now)

USCG rescue swimmers don't put out their cigarettes till it's over 10 foot seas and they have to go in....:D May God love all those brave souls!!!:thumb:

Upper Manhattan. 11knts in Hells Gate!!

ForumRunner_20131014_203302.jpg

Marinetraffic.com search vessel "GRACE"

Empire State building
UN building
Chrysler building

ForumRunner_20131014_205106.jpg

ForumRunner_20131014_205122.jpg

ForumRunner_20131014_205139.jpg

Lower Manhattan and the Freedom Tower while passing under the Brooklyn Bridge.

ForumRunner_20131014_210827.jpg

ForumRunner_20131014_210853.jpg

Stunning photo's :thumb::thumb:

Absolutely beautiful photos. Travelling through New York's East River and harbor at night is not for the faint of heart. Lot's of commercial traffic moving. You definitely have to be on your toes, know your lights, and watch the radar. To me this is amazing.:thumb:

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the ride. Might lose signal overnight as we do the Jersey shore.

That must be stunning in real life!

It really is! If you get a chance, do it:thumb: When I get a chance I'll download much better quality pics.
the phone app just destroys the quality:banghead: A bit bumpy out here tonight but clear skies and a nice moon.

Here I thought the San Juans were spectacular! This trip and these photos are amazing. Thank you for sharing.

Daddyo

Having spent many a day sailing in the chilly fall weather NY waters and LI Sound, I curious if your son was wearing a wetsuit?

For a good read on the hazards of towing a dinghy in big seas, the PM Spring 2013 issue talks about how a towed dinghy sank the towing vessel and the subsequent rescue at sea of the trawler owners by a cruise ship.

Why not start another thread to discuss all these important safety concers and let us enjoy the original topic?

As always, fantastic cruising shots that most of us can only sigh about. Much appreciated.

Daddyo

Having spent many a day sailing in the chilly fall weather NY waters and LI Sound, I curious if your son was wearing a wetsuit?

For a good read on the hazards of towing a dinghy in big seas, the PM Spring 2013 issue talks about how a towed dinghy sank the towing vessel and the subsequent rescue at sea of the trawler owners by a cruise ship.

"the dingy (11' Whaler) which we don't normally tow but did this time because of 2-3' predicted"
I agree. As I remember from the article they were in the ocean as well. I would never tow out there no matter what the conditions. Our new policy is we will never tow anywhere, period. We used to tow maybe 1% of the time. Water temp was 73 degrees. He swam 3 miles a day in Echo Lake in Maine for "fun" in 60+ degree water. This was a 5 second swim. Can we move on please.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom