Stolen GPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timjet

Guru
Yup it happened. I was taking all the valuable stuff off the boat in preparation for hauling it next week. My Garmin 740 I normally keep in the salon in a storage area that's difficult to find. I removed it and put it in the car. The next day it was gone. :confused:

I always lock my car but there was no indication of forced entry so I can't be positive.

My car insurance has a $500 deductible and a new G740s is $800 at the GPS store, so it probably is not worth filing a claim and worrying about a rate hike.

I checked e-bay and craigslist and so far it hasn't shown up. The police want me to file the report in person with a serial number but I'm an hour and a half away from the boat where the serial number is. I'll be down at the boat next weekend and will file the report then, hopefully not to late.

My mother-in-law's house was robbed, I found many of her things at a downtown pawn shop. Casual thieves use pawn shops for quick cash. With a little righteous anger and a call to the police, I got it all back for her. It's a place to look.

Dont bother to file a report after a week. It will be long gone.

Check the local craigslist.

Sorry to hear about that. That is always a real pain, or it is to me anyway. The suggestion to check Craigslist is a good one. Also eBay. And local pawnshops, as someone else suggested.

John

Sorry to hear that.

...Pawn shop is your best bet. And one far form the marina, but close to another marina.
Nobody buys a GPS in a pawn shop downtown

...Pawn shop is your best bet. And one far form the marina, but close to another marina.
Nobody buys a GPS in a pawn shop downtown

Also, although it is kind of disheartening to think it, the GPS might have been taken by another boater. I have lost several boat hooks, and do not much think anyone took them to pawn.

John

....You are 100% correct John. There ain't many people with scruple today, and many thinks that ethics is a dinosaur.

Stolen

Most auto policies do not cover things in the car (transit) normally homeowners does but usually that is even a higher deductible. This is why I think High deductibles are rewarding if you are not going to make small claims you might as well take the premium break for the larger deductibe!
From Florida
Gregg

It's a sad commentary, but if boaters didn't buy things of questionable provenance, then maybe there wouldn't be a market for stolen boat electronics.

Since there seems to be a market, there must be buyers. Makes me sick.

I'm not seeing anything over here on the east coast, FL yet. They'd be smart not to advertise it. Darned shame.

I now put my mobile phone number on and inside everything I own. I normally do not buy too much used items, but if I saw a # then I would call it.

Dammit man....that sucks!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom