Deisel in oil pan on my Ford Leahman 120

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwhite1172

Vessel Name
FAMILY FUN
Vessel Make
CHP HERITAGE
My oil pan is over flowing with Diesel fuel. It is also coming out the main front seal.

Anyone had this problem?

Dave, San Diego

Tell us more...

Could it possibly be coming from a lift pump or high pressure fuel pump and migrating to that front seal location? (I'm not familiar with these component locations on the FL120.)

Have you checked fuel lines and secondary filter for evidence of leakage?

How long did it take to fill your 'oil pan'? (Is this a drip pan placed below your engine?) Did this all happen after a short run or have you discovered it after a long period of not looking there?

Is your oil level rising in the engine?

Diesel in oil pan

No leakage from the fuel filters or fuel lines. It could be the fuel pump, but how do you check for that?

Tell us more...

Could it possibly be coming from a lift pump or high pressure fuel pump and migrating to that front seal location? (I'm not familiar with these component locations on the FL120.)

Have you checked fuel lines and secondary filter for evidence of leakage?

How long did it take to fill your 'oil pan'? (Is this a drip pan placed below your engine?) Did this all happen after a short run or have you discovered it after a long period of not looking there?

Is your oil level rising in the engine?
if it coming out the front seal it is in the oil pan,you might have a leaking injector line?????

We have been having problems with air in the lines so we took it out for a run on Sat and on Sunday the drip pan was nearly full and the dip stick show that fuel was over flowing from the pan. The engine stopped after an hour so we still have an air leak some where.

This sure sounds like the lift pump. A ruptured diaphragm in the lift pump would cause both problems, air in the fuel lines and allowing diesel to get into the crankcase.

Thanks, on Monday I will drain the oil and replace the fuel pump.

Dave

Should be able to check the lift pump first, before replacement.............:thumb:

We had that problem. The high pressure fuel pump seal failed, sodiesel is pumped direct into the oil pan.

this sure sounds like the lift pump. A ruptured diaphragm in the lift pump would cause both problems, air in the fuel lines and allowing diesel to get into the crankcase.

ditto!

And I am going to make an ass out of myself for "assuming".....

But as I understand it, the Lehman 120 has it's own oil "sump/supply" that needs to be changed every 50 hours. If you have not been doing this, it is likely the reason for your lift pump failure.

It is also the reason why I wouldn't own a bilge full of Lehman 120s....that would be 5 oil changes if you include the generator!!!!!!!!...Ain't nobody got time for that!!!!

MUSIC REMIX: Ain't Nobody Got Time For That - YouTube

Last edited:
And I am going to make an ass out of myself for "assuming".....

But as I understand it, the Lehman 120 has it's own oil "sump/supply" that needs to be changed every 50 hours. If you have not been doing this, it is likely the reason for your lift pump failure.

It is also the reason why I wouldn't own a bilge full of Lehman 120s....that would be 5 oil changes if you include the generator!!!!!!!!...Ain't nobody got time for that!!!!

The oil in the injection pump needs to be changed regularly. A few ounces, takes a couple mins. The lift pump is lubricated by the motor. The failed lift pump is probably the reason for your air problems also.

The oil in the injection pump needs to be changed regularly. A few ounces, takes a couple mins. The lift pump is lubricated by the motor. The failed lift pump is probably the reason for your air problems also.

Thanks for the clarification!!!

Happened to me too.

First thing to check is the lift pump as advised above.

Next is a injector that remains dripping after shutdown which will fill the cylinder with diesel which will seep past the rings and into the sump.

Third is the simms diesel pump. In my case it was the simms pump.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom