Underway Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you, thank you! They really are like women. I thought I knew her then she changed her mind, argh!

"I'm just a dude dressed as a dude playing another dude"

I've always liked. ' I'm really not alive, I just play that part on TV'.

Guess you'll sleep good tonight..

Headed to Newport, RI tonight. I'm a gluten for punishment as we're soon to be surrounded by perfect gleaming yachts with their twenty coats of varnish and monogrammed fender covers. :hide:

Headed to Newport, RI tonight. I'm a gluten for punishment as we're soon to be surrounded by perfect gleaming yachts with their twenty coats of varnish and monogrammed fender covers. :hide:

Perhaps you need to go on a gluten free diet Daddyo. :D

A little Newport style

ForumRunner_20131011_151306.jpg

ForumRunner_20131011_151322.jpg

ForumRunner_20131011_151337.jpg

ForumRunner_20131011_151350.jpg

A little Southwest Harbor style

ForumRunner_20131011_151542.jpg

ForumRunner_20131011_151634.jpg

Headed out. Next stop Bridgeport, CT to pick up crew in the am. Never have done the sound at night

Headed out. Next stop Bridgeport, CT to pick up crew in the am. Never have done the sound at night

Where to today?

Looks like he is headed for his hurricane hidey hole at North Port.

Looks like he is headed for his hurricane hidey hole at North Port.

Wow. I just looked - wind forecast pretty ugly until Monday. Makes sense. Chill out for the next 44 hours.

Hey guess what, the waves were much worse then predicted. We had 6-10' this morning. The flag was ripped off and the dingy (11' Whaler) which we don't normally tow but did this time because of 2-3' predicted broke both painters and was adrift in said seas. My 17 yr old jumped in once I got as close as possible and boarded her. My youngest had said less than 5 seconds earlier "I'm glad the lines didn't break"!!! The other said "you jinked us" then a second later SNAP! All good fun on the high seas! :)

:lol: I just looked at AIS. You must have modified Grace this summer. AIS shows her rolling up Main street.:lol:

Sounds like some bad judgement with some young boys.

What's wrong with waiting for your window?

And I don't care if you don't like these comments.

:(

This was a window. You must have missed the 2-3' predicted. When your out there or in life #&$@ happens. We were in LI Sound always within an hour or less of shore. Are you saying when your on a 700 mile trip that your going to stay put for 2-3' in a 60,000lb sea boat? If you do then said trip is impossible.

I appreciate the concern I really do but, that young boy of 17 could kick just about any of our butts. Nobody was at risk of anything worse then a bit of excitement and lessons in crisis management. This is cruising not sitting at the dock. The drive back to our house after leaving the boat will be infinitely more dangerous then today was.

Hey guess what, the waves were much worse then predicted. We had 6-10' this morning. The flag was ripped off and the dingy (11' Whaler) which we don't normally tow but did this time because of 2-3' predicted broke both painters and was adrift in said seas. My 17 yr old jumped in once I got as close as possible and boarded her. My youngest had said less than 5 seconds earlier "I'm glad the lines didn't break"!!! The other said "you jinked us" then a second later SNAP! All good fun on the high seas! :)

It's times like this that kids remember for life, and build a great relationship between father and son.

This was a window. You must have missed the 2-3' predicted. When your out there or in life #&$@ happens. We were in LI Sound always within an hour or less of shore. Are you saying when your on a 700 mile trip that your going to stay put for 2-3' in a 60,000lb sea boat? If you do then said trip is impossible.

I appreciate the concern I really do but, that young boy of 17 could kick just about any of our butts. Nobody was at risk of anything worse then a bit of excitement and lessons in crisis management. This is cruising not sitting at the dock. The drive back to our house after leaving the boat will be infinitely more dangerous then today was.

I must of missed a crap load of info...

If we couldn't run in conditions like this every now and again, boating would be boring and around our waters we would sit and not move. If ya know what you're doing, it is all good.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Trawler

If ya know what you're doing, it is all good.

If you know what you are doing you don't let teenagers jump over the side in 6-10' seas with the idea of boarding a drifting tender.

Many prudent mariners believe their children are worth far more than a little tender.

If you know what you are doing you don't let teenagers jump over the side in 6-10' seas with the idea of boarding a drifting tender.

Probably worded worse than it was. You can't always judge those situations unless there.

If we couldn't run in conditions like this every now and again, boating would be boring and around our waters we would sit and not move. If ya know what you're doing, it is all good.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Trawler

I agree. Exciting nights like that make the beautiful days so much more relaxing and earned.

I'm sure that Daddyo didn't start his trip with 6-10'ers. I've been in these situations on number of occasions where we start the day in 2-3'ers and the weather turns nasty baf far exceeding the forecast numbers.

I thought that towing the dink in the rough seas was a good idea. I wonder if using the line snubbers would be a wise approach.

I'm not going to judge having your kids jumping out to safe the dink as there are way too many variables involved that none of us behind the monitor and a keyboard are aware of.

As for my judgement call on the seas condition, looking at the weather and observing how the wind is blowing for almost a week in the same ENE direction with Small Craft advisory all week long, I simply postponed moving my boat from New England down to NJ. I'm waiting for the wind to shift at least for a day to stop the NE bound seas movement momentum.

Be safe out there.

Who am I to call the guy an exaggerator?

Sorry Ben, I was not the one who suggested that the guy who let his kid jump overboard in 6-10' seas was making up the size of the waves. I take him at his word ... you can call him a liar if you like but I just call it really bad judgement, right up there with keeping the family onboard while anchoring in the path of a hurricane, or intentionally sailing into one.

More and more this sounds like a future Robin Walbridge, defended by those who don't know any better and probably on the road to killing someone.

but I just call it really bad judgement, right up there with keeping the family onboard while anchoring in the path of a hurricane, or intentionally sailing into one.

I can't call it anything. I wasn't there.
I just enjoy reading the postings of the trip.

RickB - I think you are blowing it out of proportion.

None of us know what the full story is. 6-10 foot waves can be fun, or just plain ugly depending how confused they are.

If done in a planned controlled matter with the right safety gear, I might let my kids do the same. Life jacket, lifeline, harness; the risks can be managed.

My teenagers surf in waves that size, in reefy areas, without any safety equipment or supervision. Yes, there is an element of risk.

But probably nothing compared to driving too fast without a seatbelt, like we all did when we were teenagers.

Back
Top Bottom