Any suggestions for new windows ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am in the process of totally rebuilding the superstructure of my 36 ft Marine trawler Europa sedan. It had been stood for years with a leaking roof and consequently the walls of the main cabin are rotted out. Does anyone know of a place where I can source sliding windows? I would also like to put a set of sliders out onto the rear deck. Any thoughts would be appreciated,
Mark

I dealt with the dreaded wooden frame leaky windows for a lot of years before I finally gave up and had aluminum window frames and glass installed.

You will probably want a company close to your location, so where are you located?? I'm sure someone on the forum can give you a referral.

Thanks for your thoughts. I also wondered whether to go for aluminium or glass fibre windows, presumably they are single glazed, and did you get them fitted with toughened glass ?

I think you will find most reputable window mfgrs. for marine or RV or commercial vehilce use will use tempered or toughened glass only.

Talk to them but you really don't want regular window glass. It is substantially weaker and when broken produces dangerous shards.

If you don't go for made up windows then at the very least use the laminated safety glass. Nothing less.

Diamond Sea Glaze
Beclawat Manufacturing Inc.
Marinelite Windows Ltd | Custom marine windows for pleasure crafts and fishing boats: sliding windows, fixed windows, durable, tough.
OCEAN DYNAMICS
Welcome
Wynne Enterprises Inc.
RV Windows by Sun-View Industries

Just a few none of which I have had anything to do with.
Good luck

Thanks for your thoughts. I also wondered whether to go for aluminium or glass fibre windows, presumably they are single glazed, and did you get them fitted with toughened glass ?
I have no knowledge of glass fiber windows. I'm very happy with my aluminum frame windows which were custom manufactured using safety glass. I provided traces of each window and Peninsula Glass of Vancouver, WA. manufactured frames and windows. They build custom windows for commercial vessels, fishing boats, RV's and others.

PeninsulaGlass.com

But like I said, you will probably want to use someone closer to you as shipping costs will be prohibitive.
LB

I used Aluminum 2000 to make a sliding door to the aft cockpit and a sliding window in the galley. The cost was was not excessive and the frames were powder coated. The finish held up beautifully for the six years we had the boat after installation.

No connection, just a happy customer. The company was in Lancaster, PA a web search now says New Hampshire.

ALUMINUM 2000

Rob

Does anyone know of a place where I can source sliding windows?

Sliding windows have the disadvantage that only 1/2 opens at best and that must be closed when it rains.

Awning windows do not have these disadvantages , tho can stick out into a walkway.

Why install sliders , just because they were there?

Wynne Enterprises...cheapest by far and the quality is similar to the "other" less expensive "RV" style windows.

I stayed away from powder coating and glad I did...after a year installed and working around them...there were the inevitable nicks in them and I have no bubbling like I have seen on other powder coated windows.

Attachments

• 135-3592_IMG.jpg
    135-3592_IMG.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 90
Back
Top Bottom