Survey cost

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ebach

Is there an rule of thumb for the cost of surveys. Full survey for buying a boat. Just getting my ducks in a row.

Thanks
Paul

I paid $15/foot last year and engine survey is a separate charge as it is typically somebody else.

There is one surveyor in Sydney who does both general and mechanical, but really it works out about the same as dividing the job.
If you have more concerns about one or the other, start there. You may save some $ by cancelling the second survey if it fails the first, except of course if the mechanical guy wants to be at the haul out, which is no bad thing.

Depends on the size of boat. There are some geographic differences in prices. It's highly unlikely you will get one of the better surveyors anywhere near Solomon's Island for under $20.00/ft.

Hmmm 10, 15, and 20 a foot. So will 20 a foot give me a survey for the engines too. If not what do you figure double the cost? I want a good survey before I shell out some money for a boat.

Find a good buyers/pre purchase surveyor for your area, then find the best diesel mechanic you can for the engine in the boat. Two separate reports. The diesel mechanic will look at the engine and at the generator, if the boat has one. We have always paid the diesel mechanic for the mechanical survey by the hour. The last mechanical survey was less than 4 hours including the report with findings.

Hmmm 10, 15, and 20 a foot. So will 20 a foot give me a survey for the engines too. If not what do you figure double the cost? I want a good survey before I shell out some money for a boat.

First take a look at my Fee Schedule which is comparable with other Accredited Marine Surveyors in Ontario then take a look at my Sample Surveys to see what you get for your money.

All SAMS surveyors follow the same content requirement so what you see covered in my reports should be typical for any SAMS surveyor.

Going through a survey in two weeks in southern California and paying $17/ft plus extra for engine, trans and generator oil samples. The inspector is well respected by the builder of the boat I'm looking at. One way to possibly gauge the quality of the inspector is asking how far in advance he is booked up? While not a guarantee, demand does in many cases indicate a proven track record. Good Luck

John T. (N4050 & N4061 - former owners)

... take a look at my Sample Surveys to see what you get for your money.

All SAMS surveyors follow the same content requirement so what you see covered in my reports should be typical for any SAMS surveyor.

I hope not ... :rolleyes:

While it is not my intent to start another "whack the toyboat surveyor" war, that "missing thruster hub cover" photo sure looks like it might show a Sidepower 100/185 (not identified in the survey for some reason) with one of its props missing. Since power was available on the boat, a buyer might be interested in knowing if the thing worked or not and maybe even if a prop, drive pin, shaft nut, and zinc are available.

Call me picky picky if you like but if I were paying to have a boat surveyed I would like to know the seller's version of why some piece of machinery is partially disassembled. And just for grins, what piece of machinery it is so I can find out what parts and service might cost me.

http://www.pcmarinesurveys.com/SAMPLE POWER CARVER 50.0 .pdf

I hope not ... :rolleyes:

While it is not my intent to start another "whack the toyboat surveyor" war, that "missing thruster hub cover" photo sure looks like it might show a Sidepower 100/185 (not identified in the survey for some reason) with one of its props missing. Since power was available on the boat, a buyer might be interested in knowing if the thing worked or not and maybe even if a prop, drive pin, shaft nut, and zinc are available.

Call me picky picky if you like but if I were paying to have a boat surveyed I would like to know the seller's version of why some piece of machinery is partially disassembled. And just for grins, what piece of machinery it is so I can find out what parts and service might cost me.

http://www.pcmarinesurveys.com/SAMPLE%20POWER%20CARVER%20%20%2050.0%20.pdf

Not sure I get your point. The issue is clearly identified in the report. It is unwise to run a thruster out of water (against manufacturer's instructions) and as the prop is obviously missing it would be foolish for a surveyor to power it up without knowing why it was missing. If any damage had been done in powering it up or even if it did not work at all the "toy boat" surveyor would probably been blamed by the unhappy seller. Remember it is a report of what is observed, not a "how-to guide".

Last edited:
Not sure I get your point. The issue is clearly identified in the report.

Very much to the point is that the missing prop and it associated parts were clearly misidentified as being a "hub cover" - whatever in the world that is. The thruster make and model are not identified, and the unit was not tested to demonstrate functionality and continuity of controls.

It is unwise to run a thruster out of water (against manufacturer's instructions)

Most little thrusters use a series wound DC motor. That type of motor has no inherent speed control when operated with no load. That is why they are placarded against running out of water. "Bumping" the control in each direction to prove functionality is not "running" by any manufacturer's definition and is the normal and routine method of testing operation before the boat is launched.

To quote Sidepower's manual, "With the boat on land, only run the thruster for a fraction of a second, as without resistance it will accelerate very fast to a damaging rpm. Also, while the thruster is in air, make sure that the propellers have come to a complete stop before performing a direction change of the thruster, as it might cause damage to the thruster."

The instructions quoted above refer to the normal process used to determine that the controls work in the proper direction per the installation and user manual. It is commonly known as "bumping" the motor.

...and as the prop is obviously missing it would be foolish for a surveyor to power it up without knowing why it was missing.

It must not have been all that obvious to the observer since it was not mentioned in the survey report. The fact that it was not "observed" or documented and the fact that an observation of a missing "hub" was erroneously included begs several questions.

Remember it is a report of what is observed, not a "how-to guide".
One would hope that a paid observer knew what he was observing.

I give that "survey" a failing grade.

Last edited:
Sir, thank you for the sample inspection sheets. Having owned mostly new builds I found this very educational. My first reaction was that the report is not what I would consider a detailed or high level inspection and NOT what I'm expecting for the boat we are looking at. Examples include just turning on the appliances and not checking the operational temperatures of the refrigerator or freezer. Not confirming accuracy of any gauges. Not looking inside and under every access panel in the boat for water, corrosion, FRP cracking or delamination (providing pictures). There appears to by very limited inspection of these areas. The engine room inspection appears very light. When my factory sales representation and I looked at the engine room of the boat we are looking for purchase he took over 50 pictures and we spent about an hour in the engine room that only had one engine - and we are not the inspectors.
Again, thank you for this insight into what we may experience, it is likely that I do not clearly understand the business and what is considered a normal inspection. I will definitely confirm that the inspector we hire has a clear understanding of our level of expectation even if I have to pay a little more.

John T.
John T.

Very much to the point is that the missing prop and it associated parts were clearly misidentified as being a "hub cover" - whatever in the world that is. The thruster make and model are not identified, and the unit was not tested to demonstrate functionality and continuity of controls.

Most little thrusters use a series wound DC motor. That type of motor has no inherent speed control when operated with no load. That is why they are placarded against running out of water. "Bumping" the control in each direction to prove functionality is not "running" by any manufacturer's definition and is the normal and routine method of testing operation before the boat is launched.

To quote Sidepower's manual, "With the boat on land, only run the thruster for a fraction of a second, as without resistance it will accelerate very fast to a damaging rpm. Also, while the thruster is in air, make sure that the propellers have come to a complete stop before performing a direction change of the thruster, as it might cause damage to the thruster."

The instructions quoted above refer to the normal process used to determine that the controls work in the proper direction per the installation and user manual. It is commonly known as "bumping" the motor.

It must not have been all that obvious to the observer since it was not mentioned in the survey report. The fact that it was not "observed" or documented and the fact that an observation of a missing "hub" was erroneously included begs several questions.

One would hope that a paid observer knew what he was observing.

I give that "survey" a failing grade.

I have learned my lesson ... only a fool argues with an idiot.

Calling me a fool doesn't change the fact that your survey reports are sorely lacking in scope and depth.

Thank you for the glimpse at your product and for providing such strong support for my constant reminder to new boaters that when it comes to surveyors, be very very careful about the surveyor's capabilities and knowledge.

Attention to detail is part of what makes a competent observer ... ;)

Sadly surveyors attempt to justify their expense by finding enough wrong with every boat to justify their charges.
Some is justified , some pure nonsense.

This is just the opposite of the insurance survey , where the owner (not purchaser ) is paying and attempting to justify a huge price for OLD LEAKY TEAKY.

Caviat Emptor is the first word on surveyors.

Thank you everyone for the info on surveys. I have a good idea what it will cost.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom