Willard 40 ft Navy Launch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
Hey Eric.* *Do ya know anything about these boats.

There are two on Yachtworld .

One in Seward Ak One In Connuticut.

Any likes?* Dislikes?

sd

Willard 40 ft Navy launch

Why do you want to know Dude? Here's one that I was interested in but it was a bit too far away and too big for me but wow what a boat. The USN Personnel Boats came in 3 sizes, 33, 40 and 50'. Uniflite and Willard built most of them but you may find other builders as well. Wonderful boats. Basically lobster boats (skeg built) and are an efficient hull for a SD hull but still way short of a FD hull. For not being a heavy boat threr'e good in head seas and are prolly only fair on following seas but threr'e beamy and prolly ok running in the trough.
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatMergedDetails.jsp?boat_id=2265391&ybw=&units=Feet&access=Public&listing_id=23184&url=
There are other Navy boats you may be talking about. I was always very fond of the boat called Admiral's Barge. 36' long w a very round bottom, also SD but closer to disp than the Personnel boats and quite narrow. There were many wood launches (36'?) that were totally FD hulls very full in both ends. Would have made very excellent trawlers but I haven't seen one in a long time. Think they were WWII vintage. We have 2 Pers boats here in Thorne Bay and a 33' Captain's Gig that looks like a Uniflite yacht. Takes gobs of power. The plastic boats are made of fire-retardant resin and someone else here on the forum knows more about that than I do. Keith I think. That's a start*** ....
What else would you like to talk about?
Oh** ...most all those Pers boats were powered by 6-71s.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Wednesday 9th of February 2011 01:26:05 PM

RE: Willard 40 ft Navy launch

A friend of mine is looking at the 40 footer in Seward.
*It has been in charter service out of Dillingham running scientists out to Round Island to survey the Walruss out there.

I looked it over.**She looks pretty bullet proof. This one is equiped with bilge keels or rolling chocks. It does have the DD671. I am told they leak a bit of oil.

He is in the Military and looking at a deployment soon so was asking my advice on the boat. I told Him I would take it up with the forum just to see what other folks thought.

You being the Willard Guru I thought you might have an opinion.

I think the lady ann is a Willard also. Perhaps I can get Rob to chime in here.

This boat had a major refit in 2001.

Thanks

SD

Dude,
Yea I passed that boat bu my scanner too but I don't want any DD bigger than a 3-71 or a 4-53. Jack (Sailor of Fortune) is interested in the navy pers boat too. He wants to do his own conversion. That Alaska 40' boat is prolly a good one.

If the one in Dillingham is the "Inconnu", it is priced way to high (IMHO). The 40' capts gig and the 33' are very different from each other. The 40 is a scaled down ship- and the 33 is very much less efficient. They had the same power,6-71's until mid 90's and then single Cummins. Now they have twin Cummins. These boats can be had for under 15k from the gov't. 3 of the 33's were up for sealed bids in January and no bids met the reserve price. Highest bid was $ 4400. Reserve was probably around 8k. The boats were in San Diego and had less than 400 hours on them. Inconnu has been on YW for at least 4 years. If you want a rock solid , no frills cruiser they are a good starting place.But remember, they usually don't have any interior to speak of - only bench seating. Fit it out the way you desire. A fellow in Alexandria ,Va has one called the USS America (CG Documented name) from the ship of the same name. He paid 5k at the auction and did a beautiful job of restoring and is a full time live aboard on the Potomac River.
As Eric Said, Willard and uniflite made the majority of these boats. Other builders included Webbers Cove and Miami Yacht Corp. The Willarsds are the cream of the crop,but they all are heavy duty.
Fire Retardant Resin, steel I beam back bone encapsulated in F/G and full foam floatation.
Gov't spec sea trial mandated full ahead to full astern several times . 24 volt starting systems, sailor proof rub rails . They even have a gun mount under fwd hatch - Just think of the yacht club fun when you get in an argument about Rocna anchors!

-- Edited by Sailor of Fortune on Wednesday 9th of February 2011 06:40:47 PM

Our 50 Utility* was Uniflite built and is probably the best/strongest GRP construction I have ever seen.

Should the carrier be sinking the launches would be brought up on deck and simply pushed over the side , a 40 to 60 ft drop depending on the deck list.

The full foam flotation takes up loads of room , but with a slightly smaller interior plan it can be kept.

The USCG will allow conversion to PAX carrying vessels , 49 is not hard if the past owner hasn't screwed up the guts.

At about 20,000 lbs there is little transom drag , so a full displacement cruise of 7K is under 3 GPH

12+K is about 9-10GPH , and doesn't toss that huge a wake , 20,000 is light.

The built in lifting system is ripe for conversion.

The bow readily converts to a really strong anchor Bollard mount point, the mid ships lift hardware make a fine flopper stopper mast rigging and FS boom mounting points.

The 6-71 DD now in ours was in the Can for almost 50 years, before instalation, , so the gov has two locations for the throttle,

Normal,,,,,,,,,Battle!

-- Edited by FF on Thursday 10th of February 2011 05:29:09 AM

Jack and FF thanks for the response on this matter. MY buddy picked up the boat for 49K.

Not a real bad deal for a bullet proof hull.

The thing sure is a small ship.

With the full cabin added and the amenities I think it was a fair price.

SD

I've looked at a few of these Capt. Gigs over the years, two in Alaska and one that is in our harbor here in La Conner, Wa. They look like very solid boats for sure! But rest assured they are not the same hull as the other Willard 40 footers, for starters the Gig has a square stern, cabins for and aft as well as a center cockpit that I've seen both open as well as enclosed. They look a bit more military vs. looking like a commercial troller like myself. The Gig looks to me like it will work out very well in our Alaskan waters as it has lots of enclosed/dry area. I'm sure that it's a heavy boat that can take a pounding! Even if the guy in Florida says it cost too much does he really have any idea of what's involved with both time and cost of getting that boat to South Central Alaska as well as setting it up for Alaskan conditions. Your buddie stoll that boat!

Rob Hays
"Lady Anne" W40PH
La Conner, Wa/Girdwood, Ak

Skipperdude-
When you guys*run that boat into Whittier just tell folks that it an "Alaskan Hinkley" Picnik boat.

Rob wrote:

Skipperdude-
When you guys*run that boat into Whittier just tell folks that it an "Alaskan Hinkley" Picnik boat.
Now that is funny.

SD

Rob
I agree that they aren't the same as the 40' Willard trawler- no one was comparing them. As far as price, in my opinion 99k was to high-I still think it is. If he paid half of that, it changes the equation.
I think the guy got a real nice boat, at a fair price. I have said this before, these boats won't have any wide spread appeal to most boaters because they look military.

One of the nicest examples of these was (and probably still is) a 40' capt gig that was owned by the coast guard (after the navy) that had a gov't installed aluminum wheelhouse with heavy duty windows and doors. The owner bought it and converted to a self sufficient Alaskan cruiser.

In my position, I'm not going to spend 100k on a "conversion" that I would have to rip out and do over. I can go directly to the gov't and get a newer boat for much less money that is a blank slate to start with. Much of the appeal
of these types of projects, is to get what you want and not someone elses interpretation. Inconnu was set up at Sloth for the owners use- Walrus viewing and research trips. I believed that he had about 7 bunks and did multi day trips.
Passage maker mag did a story on the boat and owner several years ago. At the top of the market that boat didn't sell for anywhere near his asking price,140k at the time.

"I have said this before, these boats won't have any wide spread appeal to most boaters because they look military. "

There not the bloat boat style so many folks desire , yet too nice to shred.

We looked for years for a reasonable 50 that had not been stripped or destroyed .

The plan was to carve the open boat enough to install a 33ft airstream (actual cabin loa 28 the towing tongue would be cut off) .

This would hive a great looper that would require the least amount of work , besides building a pilot house behind the airstream , and carving an all weather door to the pilot house.

Air draft again about 12 ft , but perhaps lower with some good carving.This would be even lightre than the lobster conversion.

Fred
I can put up with the military looks but, I can't put up with an RV mounted on top. I do own a 32' RV but I think I'll keep my land yacht and coastal yacht separate entities. Having said that, I can appreciate when folks take innovative approaches to boating!
My reasons for a Capts gig are probably in line with yours, heavy duty construction and systems as a good starting place. I know "Lucy" was built out by the lobster company po, but she was a good platform to do what you wanted.
Most of the conversions do have the floatation removed. That is one reason I don't want someone elses build. I will keep most of it in place. Double berth and enclosed head compartment aft, Galley and dinette forward. The enclosed head will be the only place glass seats and foam will be removed. Center cockpit will be 1/2 enclosed (requiring cutting engine access hatch into 3 pieces-2 opening) with watertight door and strong side windows. Hard top will extend
over the whole cockpit. Kind of an Albin 25 on steroids!
Kind of overkill for intended great loop! Actually we will also do Atlantic Canada and I want to be ready when Cuba opens up.

-- Edited by Sailor of Fortune on Tuesday 15th of February 2011 06:15:15 AM

For folks that want to GO FAST! and burn little fuel, this thread will show one boat that actually does it!

Not for the usual TT owner .

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/trimaran-motorboat-stabilized-monohull-29665.html

The Airstream would be IN not on the hull, lowered so deck and interior floor at same level.

With a bucket of white paint ., who would notice? , except the rounded structure is nicer than the slab sides of most stock boats.

Being tossed 100deg onto the vessels side in 25 ft waves is not part of the Loop rock run.

I agree that it can be done. It probably wouldn't look any worse than some mega yacht "Cheese Wedge" boats that are the current rage but I don't want one. Speed is not high on my priority list. My professional career has been at 8-10 kts. I don't want to go any faster than I can think! Besides, I might spill my coffee.

I am Jamie Barnhard I own the USS AMERICA a former USN 1986 40' Personnel boat I keep it in Alexandria, VA. If I can answer any questions feel free to email me or call me at (240) 506-0155

I just bought a 40' Navy Utility Boat with a graymarine 64HN9 (DD 6-71) for $3600. The engine has 1400 hrs on a rebuild. It was orignally built for the Navy in 1954. It sat for 2 years so have some bottom work and painting to do. Mechanic says the engine is fine. Boat Sleeps five.

Freightman,
Is it a "utility Personnel" boat w the lobster boat style hull or another kind of utility boat.

There was a 36' utility that had a hull much like a Whitehall row boat but fuller in the ends. Much fuller. Would do great w a 50hp engine. I wanted one when I was in the Navy (61-64).

Greetings, Just spotted this on today's Craiglist-Seattle.

Converted Navy Utility Boat

Converted Navy Utility Boat - $44900 (tacoma)

00j0j_hkMjzExE1B4_600x450.jpg

Skipperdude- Found this one on to days Craig list-Seattle. Looks like a virgin ready for somebody to convert. AMJ

nzsjp-4115577687@sale.craigslist.org [?] flag [?] : miscategorized prohibited spam best of Posted: 2013-10-07, 1:47PM PDT
Project... 50' willard - $35000

00y0y_gdxRlnN0LGg_600x450.jpg

50' FG willard hull I have been colecting parts for a few years. Two props and shaft reconditioned at the prop shop new zf trans bt6 cummins with 7 hrs spare low time bt6 engine extra cooling system extra new starter extra pumps. New in box elect head new dickinson diesel stove some diamond sea glaze windows lots of new aluminum to build the cabin and some work done on main cabin. 4 old brass rectangle port holes. And more im sure im forgeting to list. I have 35000.00 in this project. In todays prices im sure the aluminum would be 12 to 15 thousand alone. I would be interested in trades from boats to old cars. If you had a 33 34 ford coupe im sure we could talk. If your interested send me your name and number and i will call you. No pics or emails answered until we talk. Im sure if your really interested this is no problem. Make an offer cash talks

I saw it too last night. Just a hull and engine. Do you really think that's a good buy? Wish they made a 24' version of this hull. A while back I was looking at a 50' W or U that had been beautifully finished w wonderful bright interior and a new JD engine ...89K.

Also saw a 34' Tollycraft w diesels. Looked real nice and 50K.

Last edited:
Eric- "OBO"

AMJ

Al it does look good.

I lusted after these boats when I worked at Uniflite.

40 foot ex Navy personnel carrier

Hi Guys,
I am new to this forum and from England.
I have a 1968 fiberglass 40 ft DD powered (6-71) ex carrier personnel boat that went to Naples as an Admiral's Barge for 20 years.
I now have her (Ex-RN) and she is in Greece.
Lovely boat and not too bad on fuel.
Problem is the steering cable has punctured when going astern in high winds (and probably going too fast) and I have no idea where to find a replacement. The cable is red and 6.35m long.
Can anyone help, please.
Best wishes,
Nigel

Speaking to 40 foot Willards- Here is one for sale down in Canada. Is this an original house design on a Willard? I have seen 40 foot "Wide body" Willards with what I thought was the normal usual trunk cabin house. This appears different and functional.

PF4440 - Kimberly Anne Images

Al

Al,
I think there was an article in PMM about KA. If it's the one I think it is it was an owner build. The KA is not a navy launch but built on a 40' Willard pleasureboat hull. See the round stern.

This (in pic) is a Willard built boat. Much better looking IMO. But I'd rather have the 40' pleasure boat hull of the KA. Perhaps the "K" (in this pic) was built on the navy personnel boat hulls .. probably 50'. Very nice to look at.

Attachments

• DSCF1010.jpg
    DSCF1010.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 317
I've said it before....if I were in the PNW, that would be my 1st pick. The reason I didn't go with a 40 Willard here is because of the draft. Love the boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom