Just joined up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chopperguy

Vessel Name
Norland
Vessel Make
Converted Seiner
Have been following the forum for about a year now and have really enjoyed it so far. I finally became an active member! My wife and I have owned the Norland for just over a year now and are loving it (me more than her). The Norland is a 1946 54' converted seiner powered by a Detroit 8v71. Way more boat than we were looking for but the price was unbelievable! Sadly the previous owner got cancer and passed away and his widow couldn't bear to sell it for way to long so it sat unmaintained for a long time. I think we got her in the nick of time. We have been doing lots of work to get thing back in shape. The only drawback is that the timing was not great for an expensive, old, wood boat since we are considerably younger than the average large boat owners and have three teenagers. But I am handy and can do and fix most things myself. All this to say I am glad to be here and have gotten lots of useful info from the forum already! Thanks a lot for all the helpful tips and info!

Cheers
Wendell

Some pics of the Norland

image-2531396424.jpg

image-1842170499.jpg

image-229519298.jpg

That back deck looks ideal for pushing uncooperative teens out to sea!

Hahaha! So far I haven't had to push them, they just jump in inspire of the cold PNW water

Have been following the forum for about a year now and have really enjoyed it so far. I finally became an active member! My wife and I have owned the Norland for just over a year now and are loving it (me more than her). The Norland is a 1946 54' converted seiner powered by a Detroit 8v71. Way more boat than we were looking for but the price was unbelievable! Sadly the previous owner got cancer and passed away and his widow couldn't bear to sell it for way to long so it sat unmaintained for a long time. I think we got her in the nick of time. We have been doing lots of work to get thing back in shape. The only drawback is that the timing was not great for an expensive, old, wood boat since we are considerably younger than the average large boat owners and have three teenagers. But I am handy and can do and fix most things myself. All this to say I am glad to be here and have gotten lots of useful info from the forum already! Thanks a lot for all the helpful tips and info! Cheers Wendell

Wendell,

We are also younger and have teenagers. It is a challenge to find family friendly things to do with the boat:). Where do you keep her? I love the idea of that old fishing boat with the single diesel. I bet she really handles the water nicely!

Welcome aboard! I too read a lot but post less. There is a lot of knowledge on here:)

Cheers,

Jeff

We are up in Bellingham. The hard part for us is to get all the kids to want to go at the same time. The oldest is 19 and he loves it, the other 2 are 17 and 16 year old girls and the old boat thing is really not cool unless they are tanning. Which of course gets them lots of attention and I don't care for at all!!

Welcome aboard, and thanks for the pics. Nice looking boat! Your kids will look back on it as a great experience -- I know that my kids do (we did a similar thing about 40 years ago with an old wooden Egg Harbor fishing boat).

John

Cool boat, Chopperguy! Is that a transom or a tailgate? :hide:

We were in the same boat (so to speak) with 2 teen girls when we bought in 2007. Their favorite seat was on the bow, leaned against the windshield soaking up the rays. But they never really took to slow-boating. They preferred the ski boat with water toys. I wish I had a son who would want to help with the maintenance and could crawl into tight places. I still can't talk the Admiral into doing it.

Hope you're making the family memories you'll all share for years to come. Boats are great for that!

The previous owner was into diving and was going to put a submarine on the huge aft deck. There is a large swimstep and removable dive ladder as well.

image-3697831660.jpg

Between the "Old Boat" and teenage girls you really do have your hands full don't you...;)...Neat old boat though...

HI Chop

Welcome twice.
1- Welcome to the forum
2- Welcome as a wooden boat owner. We are not many here.

Be happy

Portuguese

Welcome aboard, that's a cool boat

Like they all said - welcome aboard the board...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom