new size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motion30

Guru
I want to purchase a mantus anchor for my 40000 pounds 44 foot chung wha fly bridge motor yacht. I am trying to decide between 85 pounds for a hundred and five pound anchor. Opinions? Is then105lb. ridiculously big. ? I do a lot of anchoring in the Florida Keys although the water is shallow sometimes the seagrass can be quite thick

Last edited:
A 30kg/66lb anchor should be more than adequate for your boat: we carry a 30kg Manson Supreme on our PT52 (displaces about 60k lbs) with 300' of chain, and we sleep soundly on the hook.

I usually use a 3:1 scope, but have been at 2:1 in tight anchorages.

Bay Pelican a 42 ft Krogen does not have the windage or weight of a 44 ft Chung. We have a 40kg Rocna and are happy and definitely do not feel we have too much anchor. Perhaps the 50kg (105 lbs) would be better for you.

Remember the rule, if your dock neighbors don't laugh that your anchor is too large than it is not large enough.

Marty

IF your windlass is up to the task, and it would fit in the bow roller ,

there is no such thing as a too big anchor.

The tin benders attempt to sell watch fob sizes to reduce initial cost ,

but there not on your boat when the thunder storm goes by.

There is no point in having/carrying/lifting and paying for an anchor that is bigger/heavier than you need.

The question is how much do you need.

And nobody can foretell that for certain.

But I suspect the Navy anchor on this boat (500lbs) would be too big for my Willy.

Motion30,
"Mantus" anchor? I don't believe anyone here has such an anchor. Why do you want a Mantus? As I recall they are very beautiful and even more expensive. Have they ever been in a formal anchor test? Let us know how it works.
As to the weight. 20lbs. Think your boat can handle it?

Attachments

• DSCF0759 copy.jpg
    DSCF0759 copy.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
If this is your one anchor (read storm anchor), it needs to be more than adequate for the worse possible conditions you will encounter. If you boat in somewhat protected water and the worst weather is 40 knotts and 3' seas, the smaller might be fine. Possibility of getting caught in the open with 40 knots and 6'+ seas.......well you get the idea.

Many boats carry 2 anchors: the storm and the normal conditions.

Ted

<Many boats carry 2 anchors: the storm and the normal conditions.>

Cruisers will carry lots more ,,2 or 3 just for different bottom types , a spare , as insurance , plus the storm gear.

The storm gear will have far far heavier rodes than the O nite anchor gear as for a smooth O nite stretch is required .

Size of anchor. Not a season (winter) goes by that I have not assisted in saving/recovering an anchored boat that is dragging. Universally their anchors would be considered adequate. 45 lb CQR and such on a 40 ft sailboat. Admittedly the Caribbean winds are typically 15kts with ability to heighten to 40 kts overnight.

In all our adventures with dragging I have not seen an oversized anchor drag. Not that it doesn't happen, its just not what I have seen.

The added cost of a larger anchor is small compared to other expenses on a boat. In simple terms I would rather my mistake be that I have too large an anchor than too small an anchor.

Marty

Not much consideration is given to hundreds of pounds of chain but people stew about 10 or 20 pounds of anchor.

Not much consideration is given to hundreds of pounds of chain but people stew about 10 or 20 pounds of anchor.
I could not agree more! (Penny wise & pound foolish) :blush:

There is no point in having/carrying/lifting and paying for an anchor that is bigger/heavier than you need.

The question is how much do you need.

And nobody can foretell that for certain.

But I suspect the Navy anchor on this boat (500lbs) would be too big for my Willy.

Motion30,
"Mantus" anchor? I don't believe anyone here has such an anchor. Why do you want a Mantus? As I recall they are very beautiful and even more expensive. Have they ever been in a formal anchor test? Let us know how it works.
As to the weight. 20lbs. Think your boat can handle it?

Eric. I believe my boat will easily carry the extra weight. and to be honest I am considering the mantis anchor because of its attractive price. A 105lb version can be had for under $700 on amazon. If you go to their Web site. They have the same , our.anchor is way better then any other anchor. Video as all the other manufacturers

>If you go to their Web site. They have the same , our.anchor is way better then any other anchor. Video as all the other manufacturers<

Thats why its better to spend bucks on an anchor that has been a world standard for 5 or 6+ decades .

Danforth and CQR (real not cast scrap Chinese knockoff), come to mind.

Rated US shakels with load rating cast on the unit for better sleeping at night too.

Motion 30,
Notice that in their video all the "other" anchors are dragged along at about 5 knots in an apparent effort to set the anchor. Anchors don't set well at 5 knots and Mantus did a great job of showing us that even a great many of the best anchors in the world won't set at those speeds. Their anchor didn't set either until it was almost stopped. Misleading presentation.

I'm quite sure the Mantus is probably a good anchor though.

Eric. I am not fooled by their marketing. But looks like a decent anchor and their price is attractive

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom