Haul out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blue Heron

Guru
Had to haul out to comply with hurricane insurance. My marina ordered all boats out anyway.

Saw a boat that is the same hull as ours on blocks getting some detail. The Peregrin. She is an 87. The Blue Heron is an 85. Two birds high and dry.

image-1775826633.jpg

Had to haul out to comply with hurricane insurance. My marina ordered all boats out anyway.

Probably wise, given the probable path of Karen. Hopefully all we will get over here will be some high tides and probably some wind and rain. But right now Mobile Bay is looking a lot like a landfall!

John

Probably wise, given the probable path of Karen. Hopefully all we will get over here will be some high tides and probably some wind and rain. But right now Mobile Bay is looking a lot like a landfall!

John

Good luck John

Looks like they are related to my NOVA.

Attachments

• Picture1.gif
    Picture1.gif
    40.3 KB · Views: 132
Just curious, would you leave that canvas up during a storm? I would think it would be easier torn up that way.

Don't have a boat yet, I'm asking just to gain a little knowledge.

Attended several of the seminars at Trawler Fest in Balt., understand deductibles are going up for wind damage.

I saw you get hauled yesterday and thought I recognized the name. I am still in the water at Bahia Mar but the owner assures me that he can get my boat out if required. My exhaust mixer elbow went south, literally to have a new stainless one made so I am without a motor! Hopefully the new part will be here by the first of the week.

I saw you get hauled yesterday and thought I recognized the name. I am still in the water at Bahia Mar but the owner assures me that he can get my boat out if required. My exhaust mixer elbow went south, literally to have a new stainless one made so I am without a motor! Hopefully the new part will be here by the first of the week.

Are you on C dock? I think I saw you. Is Mark doing your engine work? Mesa engineering in Fairhope Alabama built two replacements for mine.

Let me know if you need a POC

I was surprised to see that you were required to haul out. Certainly not required by all FL marinas. Then, I saw the photos of Bahia Mar after Ivan.
Wow.

Bahia Mar after Ivan

My marina is at Lost Key. It is the closet to the Pensacola Pass. The docks are fixed so they make us leave the marina in a named storm.

My insurance policy as part of my Florida policy requires me to haul out in a named storm but I get to cruise from Brownsville Texas to the keys all year if I desire.

Yea Bahia Mar got clobbered during Ivan.

Last edited:
Just curious, would you leave that canvas up during a storm? I would think it would be easier torn up that way.

Attended several of the seminars at Trawler Fest in Balt., understand deductibles are going up for wind damage.

Regarding the canvas: I have done both up and down. I had more damage with the removal and wear and tear of removing it. It did better up. The winds are tropical and the rain is expected at 8 inches. I prefer the canvas to keep the water out of the boat. If it were a Hurricane 2 or higher I would watch the others are doing. I took the canvas and glass off during Isaac and had a sailboat mainstay wrapped around my wheel. If I had the canvas the damage would have been non existent.

I guess it's a judgement call.

Wind damage deductible is expensive. 10% of boat value for my policy.

I'm always on edge when the Coot is on the hard. As we don't experience hurricanes here, I'm fearful of an earthquake shaking her off the stands.

img_182888_0_ce47aabde6f6b94e10f85e5cbc670fed.jpg

Last edited:
I'm always on edge when the Coot is on the hard. As we don't experience hurricanes here, I'm fearful of an earthquake shaking her off the stands.

img_183003_0_ce47aabde6f6b94e10f85e5cbc670fed.jpg
Haul out for cannon install??

:D

We arrived at the boat early yesterday morning in Gulfport to evacuate as we had been instructed the evening before. We had prior arrangements at a boat yard way up the Biloxi River (thanks Swampu) but luckily at 6:30 the HM changed their mind and we were able to stay at the slip. We storm prepped and came home. So far it hasn't been much to it- but you know how these things can go.....
img_183049_0_193d2aadef7d58a46a42f12c27f3404a.jpg

We arrived at the boat early yesterday morning in Gulfport to evacuate as we had been instructed the evening before. We had prior arrangements at a boat yard way up the Biloxi River (thanks Swampu) but luckily at 6:30 the HM changed their mind and we were able to stay at the slip. We storm prepped and came home. So far it hasn't been much to it- but you know how these things can go.....

Good luck! Hopefully just a quick event.

Looks as if Karen turned out to be a non-event. But better to be safe than sorry!

John

Another bullet has been dodged! It is still better to keep your head down. Hope my new exhaust elbow gets here soon so we can get back to cruising on down toward Appalachicola
It has not been bad here though,right by the Oar House restaurant .

Another bullet has been dodged! It is still better to keep your head down. Hope my new exhaust elbow gets here soon so we can get back to cruising on down toward Appalachicola
It has not been bad here though,right by the Oar House restaurant .

Indeed. We did. I had my boat on C18 for over a year. Sun deck faced the Oar House Good music some nights.

I had the same trawler style, see avatar, for 25 years and removed the canvas, ALL OF IT, for every storm, every. Never lost canvas.

I cannot think of a reason to leave it on, well one, get the insurance company to buy new for me.
Of course this is my opinion and YMMV.
CCC

It would be pretty much a "gut-feeling" call for me, since I have no comprehensive insurance on the boat. I think that with estimated winds above 50 mph I would take the canvas down, and at less than that I would probably leave it up and hope for the best, since there is a certain amount of hassle in taking it all down.

John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom