topside paint and nonskid paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

albin43

Vessel Make
Albin 43 Trawler
what have you guys used and where can i get the best bang for my buck? im in need of some white paint to do the topsides of my albin and some nonskid to do my decks with.... all applied with a foam roller btw

thanks!

chuck, nice work.. your site has helped me alot thank you

I used the Awlgrip system as well. It is holding up well, and looks great. Just make sure you use the matting agent...

Let me clarify, we use Awlgrip on the hull and topsides but NOT the nonskid. We tried that once and even with the flattening agent it was pretty slippery when it was wet and that is why we went to the Tuffcoat system. Chuck

Delfin, your boat is amazing, im drooling... Please tell me about her!!?

Byeall, We bought her as an empty shell in 2003, spent 4 years fitting out the interior from hydraulics to cabinetry, and launched her in 2007.* She was originally laid up in Alesund Norway in 1965.* There is more information on the Romsdals on her website, and thank you for the compliment.* There's a pretty good article on her from Passagemaker that is also on the site.

I haven't found the Awlgrip with non skid slippery at all, so I am not sure what the difference is with Capn Chuck's experience.* I wonder if it is the grit we used, which I believe was Awlgrip Griptex coarse.* On my prior boat, a Cape George cutter that sailed most happily at a 30 degree heel, we used ground walnut shells, and while that was a pretty aggressive treatment, the awlgrip seems sticky enough for a trawler that doesn't spend much time on her ear.

-- Edited by Delfin on Monday 25th of January 2010 10:58:47 PM

One non-skid product worth looking at is "Durabak"... its a polyurethane coating that incorporates ground up rubber into it....and when applied by their directions...it is very "non-skid"!* We have used this product on our boat and are very happy with it.

http://www.durabakcompany.com/marine.htm

It requires two coatings, and frankly after the two coatings it was excellent... but I thought it best to go ahead and paint over it to actually tone it down a notch or two.* I painted over it with a single part polyurethane marine paint and it looks good and still has more than enough grip....in fact I think it would be near impossible to slip on this stuff...

JAT wrote:

One non-skid product worth looking at is "Durabak"... its a polyurethane coating that incorporates ground up rubber into it....and when applied by their directions...it is very "non-skid"!* We have used this product on our boat and are very happy with it.

http://www.durabakcompany.com/marine.htm

It requires two coatings, and frankly after the two coatings it was excellent... but I thought it best to go ahead and paint over it to actually tone it down a notch or two.* I painted over it with a single part polyurethane marine paint and it looks good and still has more than enough grip....in fact I think it would be near impossible to slip on this stuff...

Run don't walk away from Durabac. Your choice of painting over it relieved you from the aggravations of using it. The color will fade quickly to a horrible gray, everything gets it dirty and you can't clean it. Other than that it works well. But why put down a non skid material that you will have to paint over when there are great products out there that you apply, look great, have good non skid properties and are easy to apply. After 3 times having to re-apply Durabac because it looked terrible and the manufacturer refusing to acknowledge the problem, we coated it with Tuffcoat and the difference was like night and day. This was not just our experience, but that of everyone else we encountered that used Durabac. Chuck

-- Edited by Capn Chuck on Friday 5th of February 2010 07:23:52 PM

I used Durabak also and when first applied it looked great.* Chuck you are absolutely right, I had the same results.* Now I have to figure out how to get the Durabak off and apply something else.

Tom

Tom, Look at our website, [url]http://tinyurl.com/ygvq84m[/url] , and you will see we put the Tuffcoat directly over the Durabac without removing it and the folks at Ultratuff told us we really did not need to sand first, although I did, as long as the Durabac is down secure. What a difference, the Tuffcoat has held up really well, is easy to keep clean and is super non skid. The colors are great also. Chuck

-- Edited by Capn Chuck on Saturday 6th of February 2010 06:18:36 PM

I have to agree that the Durabak did not stay as white as it should have, and it didn't stay as shiny as the sample chip they sent me....but it did make for good aggressive non-skid... darn good at that!*

Truthfully, part of the reason I painted over it was to make it white again, and actually more to "reduce the non-skid" texture of it.* I admit that by itself...its hard to keep clean....and its not easy to wash...but its definitely non-skid.* I had tried other non-skids and even they were too slippery with salt water on them....so we went "industrial" and that in reality is what Durabak is....

Its there now....so we're gonna live with it....and truthfully...we're happy with it.

do you guys spray or use foam rollers?????

albin43 wrote:

do you guys spray or use foam rollers?????

If you are referring to the Durabak.... when you buy their non-skid they provide the rollers.

my brother who used to paint cars for a living says whatever you do dont roll the boat.. i dont see a problem with it and have seen people roll fiberglass before...

If you look at our Sea Trek site, our former liveaboard and cruising boat, we rolled the Awlgrip from the masthead to the waterline and professional boat painters could not tell it was not sprayed. To say never roll paint etc. on a boat is nonsense. Chuck

Capn Chuck wrote:

If you look at our Sea Trek site, our former liveaboard and cruising boat, we rolled the Awlgrip from the masthead to the waterline and professional boat painters could not tell it was not sprayed. To say never roll paint etc. on a boat is nonsense. Chuck

Chuck... I have to agree with you!!* I didn't do the "roll and tip" on our hull....another fellow did it...in the water and you cannot tell it wasn't shot.* I plan on doing the topside and will be rolling and tipping it.* I've done it before...and if done properly....you can't tell it wasn't shot.

Back
Top Bottom