Diesel Dinghy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure why people think ethanol is that hard to use...been using it here in Jersey for 3 years now.

It sits in salvage pumps, extra fuel cans...etc...etc...I'm still burning the stuff I bought in Georgia last March in my 4 stroke outboard ( I do run it dry every time)....no issues.

If it's clean, you keep the water out of it and don't let it evaporate...not sure that it's the issue many make it out to be.

That said...sure I tow a lot of people that complain about the fuel...but no telling what they do or don't do to keep it OK.

Thanks to everyone that has offered their info and opinions so far, I think my main question is answered. The diesels are heavy, discouraged or outlawed by the EPA, and pretty much unavailable through normal channels.
Thanks again, I'll be watching the thread for more.

Since no American manufacturer has offered EPA approved diesel outboards for the yachting/trawler market, the engineering required must be intense. It's just too hard to beat powerful and lightweight gasoline engines in small applications. Who wants a 150 lb diesel weed whip?
Lesson learned.

I watched the video for the Klaxon Diesel GHD-Series 40hp...that sucker was loud!!!!...:eek:

These are diesel dinghies....

The little one is 10'4" long and 4'9" wide, power is a 13HP Beta. She's built of glued lapstrake plywood.

The larger one is 13'6" long and 5'6" wide, power is a 1GM Yanmar (9HP?). She has Mahogany planking copper-rivited to bent oak frames.

SSsisterssm.jpg

Tad, you draw pretty boats.

Why use an outboard? My tender, Seka, has a diesel inboard, was a BMW now is a Yanmar 1GM. Here's a link to a picture of her with her sistership Sophie: S&S sisters in Silva bay

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

I use a 2 h.p. yamaha 2 stroke

When fitting it to the dink you can cay "Hand me that outboard".

I only use it to get ashore. Why would I need a bigger outboard.

SD

Thanks to everyone that has offered their info and opinions so far, I think my main question is answered. The diesels are heavy, discouraged or outlawed by the EPA, and pretty much unavailable through normal channels.
Thanks again, I'll be watching the thread for more.

Since no American manufacturer has offered EPA approved diesel outboards for the yachting/trawler market, the engineering required must be intense. It's just too hard to beat powerful and lightweight gasoline engines in small applications. Who wants a 150 lb diesel weed whip?
Lesson learned.

I think that is not the real lesson here. EPA, Congress and the Administration (many of them) have reached a point where decisions are not made based on science. Case in point, it has been clear for over 20 years that if we really wanted the most efficient car we could make, it would be electric drive train with regenerative braking powered by a small diesel running at constant rpm (oh, what a coincidence, just like our boats:dance:)

Instead we have been making gasoline engines that are constantly more complicated to increase fuel economy.

It may not be the best dingy motor, just because we usually don't care about dingy efficiency. I want it as a get hone alternative.

Richard

Ok Wxx3 I'll bite,

"I think that is not the real lesson here. EPA, Congress and the Administration (many of them) have reached a point where decisions are not made based on science. Case in point, it has been clear for over 20 years that if we really wanted the most efficient car we could make, it would be electric drive train with regenerative braking powered by a small diesel running at constant rpm (oh, what a coincidence, just like our boats)"

Explain to me why this is a problem with the EPA, Congress and the Administration? Seems to me this is a problem with the producers of autos, boats and other motorized vehicles. In other words the capitalistic systems that we all know and love. All three of the above organizations only have tried to "restrict" emissions and dictate the most efficient vehicles with the least impact to the environment be produced. What "science" have they violated in the process?

RB Cooper

Back
Top Bottom