Limber holes through stringers - Universal Litton

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Avalanche

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
M/V Infinity
Vessel Make
Universal Litton 36
Greetings everyone!

New to this forum, had a few Uniflites and a Monk over the years, just moved up to Universal Litton 36" trawler this spring.

Lots of highs and lows about it, but overall a good boat for the price with lots of upgrades over the years.

One question though that I haven't been able to figure out yet.. There does not seem to be any limber holes through most of the stringers? I've looked several times extensively, and the bilge is pretty clean, but only succeeded in finding on on the upper starboard stringer.

I've found almost no info on Universal Litton, but did hear mention of potentially hollow stringers? I don't know if this really matters or not.. I'm wondering about cutting or drilling new holes through the stringers, but am leery of introducing moisture inside. Any thoughts? There are quite a few screws and nails in the stringers at various locations to hold piping and wires, so maybe I shouldn't be worried?

Thanks for any insight!

If the stringers are glassed over. You can drill through and glass a fiberglass tube through the hole and effect a water tight limber hole.

sd

I have used pvc pipe as the limber holes linings mold. After wrapping the pipe with glass just cut it in half and epoxy in the semi circular limber holes.

IF you install limber holes , try to sort of line them up.

Then you can purchase a copper chain (used in sash windows) and install a spring at either end.

A couple of light tugs will clear any trash that might have accumulated.

Back
Top Bottom