Pss seal engine fitting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rking

Vessel Name
Elizabeth Ann ll
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 48 E. Sedan
My brass, off the engine fitting feeding raw water to the pss seal broke off. I realize it should have been bronze now. I can not fine one in bronze ( 1/4 pipe to 3/8 in. Barb for hose. my question is what is being used . Will stainless be O.K. Don't think I would want to use plastic or nylon on engine because of vibration. Thanks , your knowledge would be appreciated

I don't think you will find a bronze one. I looked a couple, few, years ago and the best I could find was 85-5-5-5 red brass which is close to bronze but not quite. This stuff actually would have been quite good but I think it was available only in larger sizes like 3/4 and up.

Doesn't PSS recommend a plastic, nylon, fitting to avoid electrolysis problems which is likely what caused your failure. A real MARELON fitting which is fiberglass reinforced nylon is strong and tough.

I have used a nylon one for over ten years now without any problem. I just check it when doing our regular maintenance, still looks great. The previous owner used a brass one in the old shaft log. I remember him telling me it failed and scared the pants off him because he suddenly had water in the bilge that was not there before.

the one in the carbon seal is supposed to be plastic...the one on the engine shouldn't matter as far as the stuffing box goes...

as long as it's not in an area that gets abused and reasonably supported...marelon on the engine should be strong enough.

Thanks for the response , according to their website, Marelon is not available in 1/4 in. Pipe. I found it in stainless steel at Grainger.com. Sense ss is used in exhaust mixing elbows. I am going to try it and will monitor. Thanks again, Randal

Back
Top Bottom