So what do you use for an oil filter wrench??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's been my experience too Larry and I've never owned a filter wrench. I own both chain and cloth strap wrenches and have only ever needed them for my first filter change on new to me vehicles.

Yes Larry you do indeed have GOOD filter access. Looks like an ideal set up. You hole the top of the filter every time to drain .. right? My filter is "O" ring up so I always make a little oil mess when changing.

If I had bought a Westerbeke (same base eng as my Klassen (a Mitsu)) I could have had a bright red engine too. Looks great.

Steve I have one of those strap wrenches too but it's a light duty plastic and rubber belt type.

How much torque is being applied when the filters are installed? I was taught that once the filter is completely screwed in, tighten by hand 1/4 turn. They've always come off by hand, at the change interval and I've never had a leak. Granted I have good filter access.

Gorgeous 135 Larry, but I prefer the red Balwin filter to the Napa. Keeps the color scheme flowing:)

...You hole the top of the filter every time to drain .. right?...

No. I take a grocery plastic bag, cover the filter and hold it tight around the filter base. I spin the filter off, it's contained and already in the bag. Since the filters upside down to begin with, I found some of the oil has already drained back into the engine. It's not perfect but it seems to work most of the time. I tried putting a hole in the filters but I found I made a bigger mess either when taking the filter off or when storing it.

Back
Top Bottom