View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
Chuck Gould

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Dear Prudence
Vessel Model: Eagle 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard pattison View Post
I am considering the purchase of a 2000 40' Pac Trawler.
In general, I am looking for comments about the boat: comfort, reliability, seaworthy-ness, etc.
I am concerned that there is not a designated cabin for guests - however small. The salon has a curtain to enclose a small settee, but that seems minimally sufficient. There were, I am hold, some 40 footers with a second cabin. Any info?
Boat will be used in PacNW primarily.
On any given day, the overwhelming majority of boats in the Pacific Northwest are cruising with no more than two people aboard. A lot of people who are willing to go out for an afternoon cruise would turn down the opportunity to spend the night. I have heard many people remark that they just assumed the adult kids and grandkids would be champing at the bit to spend extended periods of time on the boat, but after buying a boat they discover that a couple of days- every couple of years- is sufficient for most of the relatives they originally envisioned as almost permanent fixtures aboard.

Many 40-footers, including mine, are single stateroom. We've had an overnight guest for maybe 5 nights in the last 3 years. We have day cruise guests far more frequently, but they aren't interested in spending time in a stateroom. I think the rare overnight guests are at least as comfortable in the converted salon as they would be in a shoebox size "private" compartment, and the room taken by the guest stateroom has to come from somewhere.
Chuck Gould is offline   Reply With Quote