This is very sad.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tonic

Vessel Name
Tonic
Vessel Make
1987 Cheer Men Marine PT42
Wow, that is sad. Even with insurance, and even if it can be salvaged, that's got to be disheartening. It would be interesting to get a follow-up and find out what went wrong.

Just pure speculation. We had heavy, torrential rain along with high winds over the weekend. That might have triggered the sinking although there would have to be other contributing factors.

If that isn't a heart breaker, I don't know what is. Trying to come back to the water after putting your heart and soul into that work.....I dunno. God bless 'em, whoever they are.

I know this is a sad occasion for the owners. I read their blog and didn't see where they did anything to the bottom. Usually the bottom is in better shape than the topsides because it's underwater but from the looks of the topside repairs and the age of the boat I would suspect a bad plank or planks on the bottom. Of course lots of rain or even being caught on the dock is not out of the question. Again, I know this is sad for the owners and as a lover of old wood boats my prayers go out to them.Larry

"This is very sad" describes it just perfectly. It is.

John

Many wood boats are water tight only a couple inches above their water line, so when the boat sinks below that line water starts to pour in. This week end Puget Sound had very heavy down pours, so if the boat deck were no water tight and the bilge pumps failed a boat could go down in minutes. Many years ago the Puget Sound had heavy wet snow that weight boats down blow the water tight line. We had two in our marine go down in a couple of minetes.

Since it sank in fresh water it may be more good than bad for the boat as it will swell the wood. As for the engine once raised, drained and lubricated may not be damaged. I think the engine is an old two strokes. I have had several 2 stroke out board engines go to the bottom, retrieved several days latter, take the spark plugs out, turn over, pour oil down, replace spark plugs and fired back up. So the sinking might no be as bad as it seems.

They will proble raise with large air back secured to the hull, I have seen theis done several time, or they could get a huge crane that can lift the tug, which I have seen done also. Air bags are simpler and easier. It would be interesting to see how they raise her and her fate.

Heartbreaking, is the word that springs to mind. Hopefully she can be salvaged asap.

Devastating to the owners psyche... I wish them well and great success in raising her.

Couple months ago I consoled a couple who had just had their very old tug sink at dock. They too were restoring it. They had been working mostly on top sides and interior with plans to soon haul and recaulk, fasten while tending to her bottom as needed. Not living at the marina they did not know the electricity went out for a length of time. Their tug had for quite a while been staying afloat by AC powered bilge pumps self activating every hour or so. Didn’t take long for the tug to drop in water to the point where more leaking would occur. You can guess the rest. I was told it only took about six hours that night for her to rest on bottom in her slip.

My heart goes out to the boat owner/lovers. You pour your everything into restoring a vessel and she now rests on the bottom! Gut wrenching. Please keep us posted, Tonic.

I can't begin to imagine how these folks are feeling, almost 4 years of hard work gone to the bottom, I just hope something can be done to salvage the boat, but will they have the heart to start over?, I don't think I could.
They must be devastated!!

Visited my boat today to check on possible oil-spill stains from down the canal. No signs on the water or boat. There was a large barge and crane lifting (refloating?) the tug. I'm guessing that's not a cheap rental. No further news.

I couldn't get very close and the photos aren't great as I only had my phone with me. First is from the street and the second from Tonic.

Attachments

• 001x.jpg
    001x.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 003x.jpg
    003x.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 90

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom