So what do you use for an oil filter wrench??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LaBomba

Guru
Vessel Name
Looking Glass
Vessel Make
Carver 370 Voyager
Just changing my oil today getting ready for haul out on Thursday and got out my oil filter wrench. Bought at the auto supply store a number of years ago, it is the typical multi fit wrench with about 3 slots for different size filters but is so flimsy that if a filter is too tight it just bends and distorts like a pretzel. I have tried strap wrenches, a vise grip like oil filter wrench, and oversize channel locks, which usually make a nice hole. So if you have found something that works just great then please let me and others know. :)

If all else fails, you can poke a screwdriver through the filter and use it to twist the filter off. Best to let the oil drain out before you turn it.

If all else fails, you can poke a screwdriver through the filter and use it to twist the filter off. Best to let the oil drain out before you turn it.

Well I have done this in the past on a car but where my filter is located on the boat I would be hard pressed to get a screw driver in there and hit it with a hammer and the oil would go directly into the bilge as there is a 90 degree slope under the filter and no flat spot to set a container. It does work sometimes when all else fails but only as a last resort IMHO. Thanks

We use one of these, never met a filter it wouldn't remove. Remember only a quarter turn more after the filter firmly contacts the sealing face when installing....:thumb:

Attachments

• oil_filter_wrench.jpg
    oil_filter_wrench.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 6,557
My filter wrench isatight fit and allows very little swing. It's real hard to use. But I always manage to get the job done.

Many filter wrenches are not very good. Can't apply much torque.

I suspect you have a cheap wrench or have been tightening the filter too tight. I think they mean it when they say "hand tight only".

My filter wrench isatight fit and allows very little swing. It's real hard to use. But I always manage to get the job done.

Many filter wrenches are not very good. Can't apply much torque.

I suspect you have a cheap wrench or have been tightening the filter too tight. I think they mean it when they say "hand tight only".

It's definitely not an expensive wrench but I never tighten more than hand tight with one hand. There is a very limited supply at local stores. I may need to order one from the net but want to get one that others have used and are proven. There's a lot of junk out there.

Just got a gear wrench for the gen set similar to the one picture above and it worked great. The original filter was on too tight but it's nice being able to access the filter if my hands don't have the grip to get it off due to clearance issues! I think the part number was 1394, bought through amazon and it arrived only a few days after order.

Take the new filter to an auto parts store until you find a cap filter. I have found I need to put a bit of duct tape on the filter to get a really tight fit. Then crank it with a ratchet. Once I get it moving, I put the plastic bag over the filter and turn with my hand.

It's definitely not an expensive wrench but I never tighten more than hand tight with one hand. There is a very limited supply at local stores. I may need to order one from the net but want to get one that others have used and are proven. There's a lot of junk out there.

Napa or an industrial filter supply house are good sources for a quality wrench similar to the picture posted. Most better oil filter wrenches won't be "open" between the handle.
img_181955_0_5efa078fd59dc24ef7fcca076c21b8b4.jpg

I have a bunch of oil filter wrenches in several sizes. The ones I like best are KD tools. Not the only good ones of course but well done and a big variety and sizes.

Learned that one from my then mechanic who used it as his primary method, not last resort. Definitely works.

Buy quality tools they do the job time after time, a cheap tool will leave you regretting buying it time after knuckle.

Chain strap wrench , useful for many other tasks.

Cloth strap wrench, useful for many other tasks.

:)

The bar in ours is a hollow square, and a 1/2" socket drive fits nicely.

-Chris

Ditto on the cloth strap wrench. Had mine for years and have removed everything from the tiny filter on my Honda 45 to huge ones on a friends 3206E Cats.

Another vote for the cloth strap wrench w/ 1/2" square socket drive - quite versatile, and the wrench handle can be up above the filter with a socket drive extension.

Just changing my oil today getting ready for haul out on Thursday and got out my oil filter wrench. Bought at the auto supply store a number of years ago, it is the typical multi fit wrench with about 3 slots for different size filters but is so flimsy that if a filter is too tight it just bends and distorts like a pretzel. I have tried strap wrenches, a vise grip like oil filter wrench, and oversize channel locks, which usually make a nice hole. So if you have found something that works just great then please let me and others know. :)

Had you used the wrench to tighten the filter when previously installed? If so, oil filters should be spun on by hand without ever using a wrench. It's ok to use when taking the filter off. I suspect that the old filter was not hand tightened, hence your problem getting it off. As others have stated, get a new wrench and make sure you're using the wrench correctly.

For three engines on the boat and two cars I use and have used the cloth strap socket, my favorite, the chain socket, and the oil filter cap socket.

I have found the cheap wrenches to be useless and an oil filter cap socket able to take off filters for which I am otherwise having trouble. Since on a boat we tend to use the same filter for years an oil filter cap socket of the exact size of the filter is not a bad investment.

Marty

Thanks everyone. This is my first oil filter change on this boat so not sure who put it on or how. My dad taught me over 50 years ago to never use a wrench to tighten a filter but my cheap old wrench has been an issue with even properly installed filters. I will try my NAPA store in town and see what they offer in a better quality unit. Great suggestions for me and others having the same problem. Cheers :thumb:

A Ridgid brand strap wrench with cloth strap.

Ridgid 31340 11-3/4 Strap Wrench. 17 Strap Length

You may already be doing this, ensure wrench is at the bottom of the oil filter, or very close to the top.

The middle of the filter is only a thin sheet of steel, easy to collapse.

Hope this helps

If the wrench slips on the filter, take a small piece of sandpaper and slip it down between the wrench and filter can that will make it grip much better.

Steve and bluebyu , good tips and also remember to lube up the new seal before installation, will save you some grief next time:)

A Ridgid brand strap wrench with cloth strap.

Ridgid 31340 11-3/4 Strap Wrench. 17 Strap Length

Mine is similar. Last used by Al FlyWright after his deck-water-flowing-into-fuel-tank-via-broken-fuel-cap adventure.

Also remember to put a light film of oil on the rubber gasket as this will help seating the filter and removing the filter! Also prefill the filter if possible as this will limit the dry startup!

Also prefill the filter if possible as this will limit the dry startup!

I was told by a reputable Lehman mechanic that this was unnecessary. I am interested in getting additional thoughts on this.

I was told by a reputable Lehman mechanic that this was unnecessary. I am interested in getting additional thoughts on this.

while I fill filters when I can...in theory if you just ran your engine to warm the oil and start it again in a half hour or so and keep it at idle till the oil pressure come up..I doubt there's anything dry about the start...probably much less worse than the first start after a 6 month layup.

How much torque is being applied when the filters are installed? I was taught that once the filter is completely screwed in, tighten by hand 1/4 turn. They've always come off by hand, at the change interval and I've never had a leak. Granted I have good filter access.

Attachments

• Hobo Complete 128Copy.JPG
    Hobo Complete 128Copy.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 88

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom