Life Ring Restoration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tangler

Vessel Name
Between boats
Vessel Make
38' C & L Puget Trawler
I have a very gross looking but physically sound life ring that I want to try to restore. I believe it is a foam ring...not polyester...and it has lots of those black mould spots and 20 yrs of grime. What cleaner/solvent? perhaps I should paint it?? with what??

bleach and dishwashing detergent cleans mine right up...comet with bleach on the stubborn areas.

Paint. Then paint on your boat name and hailing port.

Is that your required throwing device? Over painting the CG approval label may be a problem if you're inspected?? I would check with the CG or CGA before doing so, at least mask it off and paint around it if you're not sure.

LB

I wonder if Keith's cord cleaning trick with Go-Jo hand cleaner would work on life rings too? They seem to be similar materials.

Mine was in bad shape as well. I used GoJo to clean it up which worked fine and the polyester (?) rope was all falling apart so in order to change it, since it had been filled with foam after the rope was installed, I had to cup the rope at each opening and used a drill to drill in from each side to loosen the rope to remove it. I then bought new rope, a can of foam to fill in to hold the rope after installation. I would say I spent 3 hours, a lot of frustration, and $20. Could have easily bought a new one for a few $ more and some of the new ones have separate molded holes for easy rope changing. Oh and then added the boat name decal. :banghead::banghead:

I've got four of them on the boat that need the same work. I dunno...if I make them perfect, someone might lift them. I guess painting on the boat name is really a necessary part of the restoration. It's a good thing I'm not swimming in millions.

I have a couple of these Jim Buoy rings on the boat.
Jim Buoy Ring Buoy
The poly grab lines on them lasted about 2 yr before the UV disintegrated them, so I replaced them with some braided nylon. For 50 -60 bucks apiece you'd thing they could make the rope last a little longer.

Just remember...although it doesn't matter to me...that altering the buoy negates the USCG certification...

I know it's stretch but if any difference is obvious...a boarding team member may notice it too....

Back
Top Bottom