ac raw water pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamie mac

Veteran Member
It was a cool evening last night so we turned the heat on and the cabin warmed up nicely but thru the night i noticed it was cold air coming out the vents. I went out and noticced no water was pumping. The next morning i remove strainer and cleaned it even though it wasnt dirty and turned it back on. Still no water flow but i noticed pump although not working was warm. Any input would be appreciated.

First off, look at the thermostat settings. It may be set to run the fan the whole time the unit is "on", rather than just when the compressor is running. Sorry if this is too obvious, but you always start there.

If the pump is running but no water is moving, then it's plugged up somewhere. I usually disconnect at strategic (or easy to reach) connections and blow through the hose. You can usually either clear, or at least find, the blockage that way.

Your pump will overheat and shut off if water flow is interrupted, whether by blockage or an air leak in the intake line. Your pump may have a re-set button.
Make sure water can flow and that thee are no air leaks, push the re-set and try again.

Most AC pumps are not self priming and are installed below the water line. You can easily have an air lock if the pump has been shut down and/or run dry for a few minutes.

Once you know you have no obstructions, break the water line up from the pump and briefly turn it on. That should flood the pump. Reconnect and you should be good to go.

Pump is not running but will get warm. It worked great when we went to bed but sometime thru the night it stopped making heat.

The warm pump would indicate to me that the pump is being energized, so the first thing I would do is to make sure it is primed. If it is primed and there is still no flow, then, there is a chance the impeller is fouled or jammed.

If it is a March pump, the drive is magnetic and the motor will turn even if the impeller does not. You can remove the pump cover (4 screws) and inspect the impeller. Replacement parts are available. I think the "Wet End Kit" for a March LC-3 pump is around $70, much cheaper than a new pump. Of course, if the pump shaft does not turn, then it is new pump time.

I'm not sure about the construction or serviceability of Cal pumps or others though.

Good luck.

Took pump out cleaned up impellor housing blew out a ll lines and reinstalled . It now runs perfect.thanks

that was just to easy....

Back
Top Bottom