stuffing box replacment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Capn Chuck wrote:

We had a similar problem with our previous boat and the exact same stuffing box as the trawler. We also found that using the trawler always required some adjustment to the stuffing box after running for a while. So that is why we decided to switch to the dripless system. You may find the problem is in the adjustment bolts which tend to loosen after running for a while and have nothing to do with the packing. Chuck

*Thanks Chuck
**** I do have double nuts on the stuffing box and after 2 weeks or so running 10hrs per day Iam out of thread and need to replace the packing... Chuck in you pictures of the dripless system you have a new flange on your old stuffing box that accepts the bellows* Where did you get it?

Old Fishboat wrote -

I have no water feed tube on my system. I do have a grease fitting however.
But no its not uncommon to not have a water feed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This same system is on Penta and the packing has only been replaced once in the 20 odd years she has been in our hands. This happened 15 years after we got her and was done while I was replacing the cutlass bearing, not because it was needed, rather a complete overhaul of the shaft system plus it allowed me to see what sort of shape the shaft was in where the packing rides.
When running I make a point to give the grease fitting a couple of squirts about once a week and the box runs cool with no water leak when running and drips about a cup a week when at the dock.

John Tones
Penta

Following this thread along a bit, we went out for 8 straight days over Xmas - New Year, and circumnavigated Moreton Bay, off Brisbane, here in Queensland, Australia (Google it - it's an interesting Bay).* Anyway, we must have run up about 200 nm, (Clipper (CHB) 34, with original, basically untouched, (head & block), Lehman 120.* Used no detectable oil (take note Marin if you're
lookin'), and to my amazement, virtually no water in the bilge.* Why is this interesting?* Because I don't have a dripless seal, but did have the stuffing box re-packed nearly 2 yrs ago with the new teflon based material, and it has basically turned it into a dripless seal, but with the added bonus of the simplicity, and no fear of a cooling feed tube coming adrift and pumping water in, instead of out. A new muffler was also installed.* The blue thing which gets in the way a bit, sorry.* The other relevance to this discussion was the manner of tensioning my stuffing box, being as mentioned by some, a flange with adjusting locking nuts on either side, rather than one large circumferential nut, and the fact I happened to take a before and after photo when it was done.* Which I will now attempt to post, but bear with me if it does not work, as I'm a bit new to this particular forum, but hey....if I can make PMM work........

Peter B

Wow - It looks really neat and tidy!

If you're constantly using up packing and getting drips, you probably have a scored or pitted shaft that is eating up the packing. I use the Gore GFO packing which is essentially dripless and forever once you do the initial adjustment. http://www.gfopacking.com/

Keith
I had the shaft resurfaced looked great when installed but the packing has not lasted since . I did look at the shaft when I lasted repacked it and it looked good I had my home marina check the motor alinement they said OK but I am going to have a look at it myself
My setup looks much like Peter B. picture with the exception of the hose, my stuffing box screws right to the stern tube thus is solid mounted No room for a dripless system

Check to see if the shaft is wobbling while turning. There are fancy gages to do this, but just hold a pencil or something right next to it while turning and see if the surface is moving back and forth. That could be causing the wear on the packing. You might also switch to Gore's GFO packing to see if that works better. I put that in mine around 2002 and has been perfect ever since.

RickB wrote:

I work with the latest and best world class yachts where money is*barely an issue when it comes to the machinery installation.*None of these boats use a seal that cannot be closed off, either by an inflateable bladder or by clamping down on some other type of emergency seal.

Show me another*item below the waterline on a boat where the only thing between the sea and thee is a very thin and very flexible rubber bellows with no way to stop flooding when it fails.

"My PSS dripless systems are working fine and get inspected for temp and leaks every hour I'm cruising. I'd guess far moreso than any standard system gets checked in*most vessels."

That's because other systems can be trusted to behave themselves and don't require that much labor.

-As the owner of two dripless seals, I followed this thread with interest.* When I read the following USCG document, I thought others might also find it interesting.* ...........Arctic Traveller

www.arctictraveller.com

Improper Assembly of Shaft Seals

This document presents lessons learned during a casualty investigation. It
provides useful information for marine inspection and investigation
personnel in addition to owners and operators of Towing Vessels and other
vessels having similar characteristics.

Recently a towing vessel nearly sank while conducting vessel assist
operations in San Juan harbor. A large volume of water flooded the engine
room when the vessel applied astern propulsion. Within a few minutes,
severe flooding filled the engine room with twelve feet of water.
Fortunately the Master was able to intentionally ground the vessel to avoid
sinking.

An investigation revealed that the water had entered through a gap between
the vessel's shaft seal and its mounting flange. When the vessel applied
astern propulsion, the force of water was directed down the shaft towards
its seal thus dislodging it from the flanged mounting / mating surface. The
vessel had recently installed a Kobelco brand dry shaft seal during a yard
period. Installation required a new flanged mounting welded to the vessel
structure.

The mounting flange had been tapped for the use with M20 metric bolts.
During installation the seal was secured to its mounting flange with eight ¾
inch diameter (nominal size) bolts. The differences in the diameters of the
tapped hole for a ¾ inch bolt and a M20 bolt is quite small and the pitch of
the threads are very similar. Because of these similarities the use of a ¾
inch bolt into a 20M metric tapped hole may go unnoticed.

In this instance, the improperly fitting bolts eventually loosened and
allowed the seal assembly to separate substantially from the flange mounting
surface when astern propulsion was applied. Post casualty, the owner /
operator reinstalled the proper bolts and enhanced the installation with the
use of a locking device to prevent future loosening.

"Human error" likely resulted in the selection and installation of improper
bolts. Inadequate "situational awareness" may have contributed and failed to
provide the proper "defenses" to prevent the casualty. Careful and routine
machinery space rounds by competent persons and attention to critical areas
like shaft sealing arrangements may have detected the initial loosening of
the bolts and leakage occurring at the seal.

The Coast Guard strongly recommends that owner operators of vessels
utilizing Kobelco shaft seals or similar devices ensure that the proper
fasteners are used. Further, critical inspection of machinery should take
place anytime modifications are made and regular inspection of important
areas such as shaft seals, skin valves, sea chests and other hull
appurtenances should be part of a daily machinery space rounds onboard any
vessel.

This document is provided for informational purposes only and does not
relieve any domestic or international safety, operational or material
requirement. Developed by the Headquarters Office of Investigations and
Analysis and the Investigations Division, USCG Sector San Juan. Shaft seal
questions can be addressed to LT Sarah Geoffrion, Chief of Investigations at
Sarah.J.Geoffrion@uscg.mil. Other questions can be addressed to Mr. Ken
Olsen at Kenneth.W.Olsen@uscg.mil. <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="5"><tbody><tr><td>
RelatedResourcesHeader.gif
</td></tr></tbody></table>

An additional hassle is on some boats , going into reverse the output flange will pull in almost 1/2 inch.

OK if the bellows are set for this otherwise you get a nice spray everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom