PT 35 Sundeck trawler 1985 info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike_nickens1

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Godspeed
Vessel Make
36" Marine Trader Sundeck
I'm considering buying a PT 35 trawler. I don't seem to be able to find any info, history, or pros and cons for this brand. Would appreciate any feedback.

Pineapple girl should be able to help you out. She has one!

We have had ours for 6 years based on Sydney Harbour Australia and have found her to be very comfortable and suitable for the harbour and coastal cruising as long as you choose the weather carefully. Our boat has twin 135 N/A Perkins motors with 2000hrs still working well. The boats are a Norek design with lots of teak and a propensity to leaks around the windows but in general a solid boat. Be prepared for lots of exercise up and down stairs from the swim platform to the aft deck to the saloon to the galley down and down to the aft stateroom.

I would be happy to answer anything else I am able.

John

Ditto what Rebel said, great boat. Mine is an 88 with twin cummins. God forbid something goes wrong on the outboard side of the engines, you would need a midget with freakishly long arms, it is tight down there. At 35' she is a little rolley at anchor, not a heavy boat.

All my work has been to repair th POs neglect, not to correct build issues. I would buy her again. Feel free to ask questions.

I feel like our boat is the same, but a 42. Sundeck built in Taiwan 1985 in the Fu Hwa yard, haven't found many differences between the Nova or the PT with our boat, I think they may be built by the same builders

Ours is an 84. Check out my blog for photos and info. Love the boat. We have 210 hp turbo Perkins. More power than we really need but it's fun to burn lots of diesel every now and then. :)

We have an 86 SENATOR 35 Sundeck. Had it for 6 yrs now have rebuilt tranny, Replaced shaft and packing. Any one have soft spot on deck? Ant suggestions on repairs? I like the boat comfortable for Chesapeake Bay and tributary cruising.

Gene... Skinny Dippin' is the exact same boat and even the same year. Our previous owner replaced ALL the deck coring (except what is under the teak). I suspect if you have found one spot, there are many more wet spots you haven't seen yet. it was, from what I am told, a massive undertaking to do. These boats are kinda known for that.

If you like, we can break this out to it's own topic heading or we can talk offline about it. I can share what I know, but it's not much. Nevertheless, we will be pulling up the teak sundeck within the next year to fix the newest soft spot we found.

Attachments

• P1010031.jpg
    P1010031.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_5125.jpg
    IMG_5125.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
Hi Tom and or Bess Your boat looks very similar to ours notice a difference in the aft cabin window. Ours is a single light. ( Which is currently leaking). Just replaced the water pump yesterday we have a single Perkins 6 354.4m I would love to chat with you matbe exchange some storyis and hope resolve some similar issues.. Gene

Hi Tom and or Bess Your boat looks very similar to ours notice a difference in the aft cabin window. Ours is a single light. ( Which is currently leaking). Just replaced the water pump yesterday we have a single Perkins 6 354.4m I would love to chat with you matbe exchange some storyis and hope resolve some similar issues.. Gene

Where did you find an anti-clockwise pump?

not sure what you are referring to but Trans Atlantic Deisel in Hayes Va is a perkins dealer. They have many new and rebuilt parts and are friendly and easy to deal with Gene

Pt35

Mike:
I own a 1985 PT35 Sundeck powered with a single Ford Lehman 225HP. What power does the PT you are looking at have?

Hello,
I've looked at a PT Sundeck 35 a few days ago, really liked the boat. Beautifully kept up, lots of nice teak, 210 Perkins. I'be read a bit of your blogs and know you love your boat. Would you get the same one again, how does she handle maneuvering around docks, especially if when it's windy? Any issues I should be attuned to? I did notice some wood staining under some windows and have heard that's common. Is that condensation or leaks and if leaks can they be refitted and sealed? Can you do that yourself? The AC/heat unit appears to be original on the one I'm considering. Is it sufficient to. lol the entire boat? I do think that the forward berth may not have venting into the area.
Sorry for the ou sand questions, I probably have more. But those are the main ones I can think of. Thanks ahead of time..
John Heide
Port Jefferson Ny, Long Island

:thumb: Really like the PT 35. Sea trialed/Surveyed one on the West coast last year. Alas... it needed more work than I had time to deal with, and it was obvious the owner over-valued her and was oblivious to all the maintenance/repair issues. :ermm: It has a great layout. No exterior Teak. A little "rolly"... but not any more than any comparable 35' SD Trawlers types. All the Taiwanese trawler caveats apply. Go carefully; be diligent in your pre-buy if you decide to pursue. BUT... I would buy a good one in a heart-beat.

I love my PT35, windows are an issue, but they seem to be with any boat coming out of Taiwan. I pulled the bedroom windows out and put in Lexan, like a sailboat. Windows work a lot better if you take a coat hanger and clean out the weep holes. I can't speak to the Perkins, Pineapple Girl on this forum has Perkins I believe, I have Cummins 6bts. Outward side engine access is awful! Pray nothing over there needs attention.

Otherwise just normal boat maintenance. Hull seems to be great, no fuel take issues that I have heard about. My experience tells me they are well built, it just depends on how the POs kept up with maintenance.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

My husband and I are very happy with our PT 35. We have had the boat for four and a half years and haven't had any "issues". I put that in quotes because yes we have spent a lot of boat bucks but even with the big job we had done a year ago, I still have no complaints. you are going to have to spend some money on SOMETHING if you buy a thirty year old boat. (last year we had to replace one of the shafts and couplings, and get the bottom taken down to the gelcoat and redone.)
We have twin perkins turbos. I can never remember the number I would have to look it up. We have not had any issues there, just routine maintenance. That being said, the prior owner had done some more major maintenance including replacing something semi-major. Sorry I cannot remember what it was but relating to the turbo. Does the boat REALLY need turbo or 210 hp twins? No. but if you like the boat...
Staining under the windows-yes we have that too. i have never seen an actual leak so I ignore it. Actually the only time I saw any leaking was when we were taking water over the bow and onto the front window and I saw water coming in the top of the windows!! But that was a one time gig.
How does it handle-not as bad in the breeze as you might think with that big butt. We don't have any kind of canvas enclosure on the sun deck or flybridge, I think that would make it much worse. You definitely have to be aware of the wind and current and plan accordingly, and be willing to bail out and start over if you need to. Having twins helps.
As far as the heater, the PO of ours was a live aboard and he had put in a new Webasto (sp?) diesel heater right before he sold the boat. It works great but there are definitely different temperatures in different parts of the boat-which makes sense considering how different they are (all the windows in the main saloon for instance). We do not have AC-if I ever get around to putting it in I will definitely have the aft cabin on a separate zone from the main cabin. We basically use the V berth for storage so not too worried about it.
hope that helps, happy to answer any questions.

PT35 Value

I would guess the asking price of a 1985 PT35 with a single Lehman 225hp engine, like mine, would be about 55K. My boat has a 4kw generator, two zone a/c, radar, new Nova Kool fridge, etc. She's in very good shape in turnkey condition.
She is located in Easthampton, Long Island, New York. I plan to launch her in June to spend the summer aboard.
As I now live in Florida, I would consider selling her. Please contact me if you are interested.

The builder is Chien Hwa Boat Manufacturing & Industries Ltd Hope this helps

PT35 Sundeck Builder

My 1985 PT35 Sundeck was built by
Overseas Yachts East in Taiwan. Similar
designs were built by other builders in
Taiwan and possibly China.

Ditto Bensjoy, mine was Overseas Yachts. I think you can tell from the hull ID number.

PT 35 Sundeck

Mine was built buy Cheerman Motor Yachts, Taiwan. 1984 Single Perkins 6.354T, New Phasor Generator and a bow thruster. I've had it for 17 years. I like projects and it has kept me busy over that time. The only thing I didn't do was fuel tank replacement about 10 years ago. Fridge will probably be the next pricey project, still running the origional one. Put a new quiet flush toilet in the aft head. Forward head next ????? I hand stripped the floors, a bear of a job but worth it. Around the windows is tough. I've purchased teak venner from a place in Florida Keys. I replaced one large salon window with safty glass and of course it cracked. Windows on the sunside in the winter cracked. Next will be tempered glass. And on top of all that I still love it. Bottom paint very soon, actually paying to have the hull compounded and waxed. Just can't do it any longer. Great boat/house on the water.

I own a 1983 Cheermen PT 41 Europa .
My first single screw boat and I absolutely love the boat. Solid fiberglass hull . Just the usual issues that you’re going to find with any 35 + year old boat.IMG_1462.jpg

Help just purchased

Would like some help or information I have purchased a 1983 PT Sunday motor yacht or trawler by John Norwich design twin Perkins t6354 I am in Florida and I'm trying to have the boats transported by trailer to my home to do a remodel and to rebuild the two Perkins I'm trying to find out information if the fly bridge unbolts from the cabin I have looked and cannot find any bolts so far but the boat is 14-6 without even being on a trailer which will give me another foot and it's too high to get in my neighborhood or pretty much on the road in places where we live anybody has any information on this boat which is very slim would like to know will be introduced to owners to have on this boat and it's 35 ft long 12-6 and beam also have not been able to find videos of any of the same model boat with twins only the single screws any information or help or contact with owners of the style boat and be highly appreciated

I owned a 1985 PT35 Sundeck with a single Ford Lehman 225 HP engine which I sold in 2018. I tried in vain to contact the designer of the boat, John Norek, but was unsuccessful.
Luckily, I never had to remove my flybridge. I would look inside the flybridge seat lockers at the bases for fasteners as well as in the storage area forward of the flybridge helm under the brow.
Good luck

The boat that I have was built by John norwick Norwich here in the states also have the up galley which is a little bit different I have twin Perkins t6354 I also have the westerbeak generator I'm trying to do research to find out if the fly bridge unbolts somehow or if it's laminated to the bridge trying to transport and it is over height without removing it removing it

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom