28' Cape Dory Flybridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone been on or familiar with the 28' Cape Dory Flybridge? I am going to look at one next week. I am in need of a boat for fishing and overnight camping with my two sons. I want a single diesel downeast or trawler 30' or under. Looks like a good boat.

They are OK...Cape Dory generally made decent boats but they haven't been made in awhile so it is more what the last owner(s) did to it to keep her nice or trashed.

There are Mainships and a lot of lobsterboats out there that fit your needs...just don't be in a rush and make sure the powerplant is what you want in terms of cruise versus too much economy if fishing is a big desire.

Anyone been on or familiar with the 28' Cape Dory Flybridge? I am going to look at one next week. I am in need of a boat for fishing and overnight camping with my two sons. I want a single diesel downeast or trawler 30' or under. Looks like a good boat.

David Marchand on the site owned one. He can tell you anything. Why don't you send him a PM. He is very knowledgeable.

Thanks. I have looked at a Mainship 34'. Not for me. I am considering a 29' Prairie as well. Like the boat a lot but feel it could be under powered and need to much of a restoration. A Cape Dory became available and will check it out.

Thanks. I have looked at a Mainship 34'. Not for me. I am considering a 29' Prairie as well. Like the boat a lot but feel it could be under powered and need to much of a restoration. A Cape Dory became available and will check it out.

David's present boat is a Mainship Pilot 34, but his last one was a 28' Cape Dory. He is a great source of technical info.

If you find an Ellis 28 on the market, take a look at it as well.

You guys with your ungainly flying bridges!

I often need to shut one or both of my pilothouse doors to reduce the wind coming/howling through the pilothouse. ... Is skin cream a standard provision on a flying bridge?

Last edited:
Oh Mark, you silly boy, if the weather's bad we can go below and hide from the world like you do.

Don't forget we're all waiting for pictures of the canon. You need one for that pretty traditional dinghy of yours!

Don:

Your memory amazes me and I thank you for your comments.

Yes I owned (and still do, she is for sale) a Cape Dory 28 hardtop with a Chrysler 275 hp gasser. It is classical downeaster hull: full "built down" keel, soft chine, flat deadrise at the transom. As a result she is very sea kindly, but a bit wet. The hull takes quite a bit of power to drive.

The boat was originally delivered with three engine options: a 100 hp Westerbeke, 200 hp Volvo diesel, and the Chrysler 275 hp gasser. The Westerbeke makes it strictly a displacement cruiser. The others can cruise in the low teens and top out in the upper teens. Some were repowered with the 240 hp Yanmar 4LH which is a very desirable engine that commands quite a premium.

The gasser burns 10-12 gph at 12 kts and the diesels burn 6-8 gph at 12.

I met a guy in Annapolis who owned a flybridge model with the 200 hp Volvo. Apparantly the extra weight of the flybridge really loads down the boat and he reported that he could only cruise at 10-11 kts and topped out in the mid teens. I would only consider the Yanmar repower if I had to have the flybridge.

The interior of the hardtop and flybridge models are the same with a long cabin which provides a 6' L shaped settee to port and the helm seat to stbd. No passenger helm seat. Engine access is very good through the opening sole.

Galley down with typically an Origo alcohol/electric stove, usable enclosed head and a decent V berth. This boat probably has one of the best layouts for a 28' trawler.

Gassers sell for about $30K and so do the Westerbekes; the Volvo 200s sell in the $40s and the Yanmar 240 if you can find one will go for more than $50K. The flybridge commands a $5K premium.

David

Thanks

Can't wait to see the boat. I hope it fits my needs. It does have the flybridge and volvo 200hp. Not sure how to make offer. Any suggestioned welcome. They seem to sell for what he is asking for, $49,900. Not sure how motivated he is to sell.

Not sure how motivated he is to sell.

There is only one way to find out!!! Make him an offer! This is where a broker to represent YOU would help if you are not already using one. They have access to a website called "Soldboats.com" that allows them to see what boats SOLD for....not what they are asking. Like comps in real estate. Anyway, if the price for this boat is believed to be in the fair market range, hit him for $40k and see what he does. Good luck!!!

Thanks

Thank you to all that have been giving advice. I dont have a broker, but have a long time friend that ownes a boat dealership. Maybe I should call him to receive some buying advice.

Looked at them many many years ago as I loved the lines, one thing that always amazed me is the price on them, $50k for a single engine boat (which I still think is too high), and amazingly they have stayed around there, I guess the limited production keeps the price up. Good luck

Looked at them many many years ago as I loved the lines, one thing that always amazed me is the price on them, $50k for a single engine boat (which I still think is too high), and amazingly they have stayed around there, I guess the limited production keeps the price up. Good luck

I think it is their classic styling that keeps their prices up. Also, single engine diesel boats that can do planing speeds AND have decent overnight accommodations are fairly difficult to find. So they satisfy a lot of "boxes" in the checklists of buyers.

I don't know much about the Cape Dory 28 but I do know about downeast hulls, of which this is one. Real, traditional, downeast hulls loose many of their many virtues when they are asked to carry too much weight for their waterplane area. The Cape Dory 28 seems to me to be, especially with a bridge, quite overloaded requiring too much power for too little speed.

Interesting comments on Cape Dory 28. My broker suggested I look at a 28' Cape Dory (no flybridge) that is presently in a reputable shop for a total refit. Rebuilt Chrysler 350 gas. Likely will look at it mid week and if there is forum interest I can describe its present condition with details on the refit.
I would like to have additional information on the boats performance in open water. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom