Old 09-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #39
Alex F

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: Inspiration
Vessel Model: 420DB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
New Bern is a great location. The big 4 marinas are:

New Bern Grand ~$7.00/ft. (RIGHT in downtown)
Bridgeton Marina (price unknown) Located across the river
Bridge Point Marina $6.50/ft (set to reopen in two weeks) Just across from downtown
Northwest Creek Marina ~$6.50/ft (just outside of town)

It's a very historic town. Small enough to feel quaint, but big enough for lots of "big city" things like West Marine, Wal Mart, Lowe's, etc.. Tons of great places to eat and drink.

Cruisable locations at hull speed are: Oriental (3 hours), Morehead City (6 hours), Beaufort (6.5 hours), Belhaven (9 hours), Ocracoke (2 days - best to jump off from Oriental), Manteo (3 days-ish away) and tons of great side creeks and rivers to drop the hook for the night. And a good destination marina at places like River Dunes too.

You could also send your kids to Camp Seagull or Seafarer located in Minnesott/Arapahoe, NC.
Thanks a lot, Tom. That's some great info. The prices are cheapest I've seen and it looks like plenty of cruising close by.

How's the weather down there? Usually, base on my observation, an approx 100 miles distance equals to 3-5 degrees difference. I assume that since New Bern is about 185 miles North of Myrtle Beach the weather is 5-7deg colder. Does it mean that the boats are exposed more to the freezing temps? Do you winterize any of the components?
Alex F is offline   Reply With Quote