Blue Ford 335 cu in inline 6 diesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trawlerpeople

Vessel Name
Gipsy Queen
Vessel Make
Gavin Summerhill 29
I have recently purchased a Gavin Summerhill 29 with this 110 hp engine and since I have not found any others like it in the forums or online, I am wondering if there is anyone out there that is familiar with it. It is naturally aspirated and runs smooth as glass, so I have no complaints. I just have not found any others or any history of this engine.

I have never heard of this creature- but am also curious to gaze upon it......

Ford inline 6 Diesel

DSCN7963.jpg

The only photo I have for now.

Last edited:
1979 Ford Inline 6 Diesel Engine

Ok, we finally found the information on this engine.

It is a Ford Industrial Engine built to their Marine specifications according to the original engine registration we found from Ford.

Model Number is SSD 655 6005

Peak Torque is 263 Ft lbs at 1900 RPM at the output shaft.

Peak Horsepower is 130 at 3200 RPM - I can't imagine ever revving it that high!

Transmission Ratio is 2.47/1 which according to the marina converts 130 ft lbs to 1 million ft lbs of torque - rounding up :)

Attachments

• Ford Marine Diesel.jpg
    Ford Marine Diesel.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 426
Gavin Summerhill

We purchased it from the original owner who had it built by Gavin Summerhill Co. in Clearwater Florida in 1979. The original owner told us it is a one-of-a-kind. He had it built there and finished the inside in Canada. He and his wife toured all over in it for 33 years. The waterline length is 28'8" with a length overall including swim platform and anchor is 34'4". Beam is 11' with a 3'8" draft to the bottom of her skeg type hull. Currently cruises at 6 knots (my wife would like it go faster) at 1750 RPM using 6 litres (close to 1 3/4 US gals) per hour. I have yet to find any other Gavin Summerhill boats.

Gavin Summerhill

Thanks for the tip, I will check it out --interesting.

Back
Top Bottom