View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 10:26 AM   #13
Baker
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
$300K - What would you do?

I can tell you right now, if you are a cash buyer, the market is YOURS!!!! Marin makes great points ref the motorsailor. I will add to it that I think it is way too much boat and way too much maintenance. If you are somewhat intimidated by a single on a KK42, this boat will be every bit as challenging.

I guess the question that needs to be answered is ....WHAT DO YOU WANT???!!!

There are some great trawlers of all different styles in the "under 100k" price range which will still give you a lot of boat and not burn up all your cash.

My biggest word of caution is....be realistic in how you are going to use the boat. *Almost any boat can be used in the capacity you speak of as long as weather is respected. *I have have owned both Catalina and Beneteau sailboats and it would never cease to amaze me at the people that would *criticize my boat(s) for not being "bluewater boats". *I almost went and bought a megaphone to scream into their ears that "I WASN'T GOING BLUE WATER SAILING!!!!!". *ANd I would wave as I went by in the fairway while they polished the teak on their bluewater boat. *My point here is that there is no reason to spend the extra bucks on a boat if you are not going to use it's capabilities. *While that boat you posted definitely seems to be a good value, I think there is alot of maintenance that will need to be tended to(sailing rig and teak...as Marin mentioned)...and you have to ask yuorself if it is worth it? *Are you intrigued by the fact that you can sail? *If so, you might wanna look at sailboats. *Do you like the looks of that teak? *I will say, there is nothing as beautiful as a boat all polished up with teak. *BUT, that is a lot of work. *And it is quite disheartening to watch all that work go to the dogs in just a matter of 6-12 months. *And if you "let if go" grey, your once stunningly beautiful boat doesn't look so hot anymore. *Nothing wrong with this approach, you/wife just have to be okay with it.

So, what do you think you want? *As you are finding out, there are many different opinions on here and nobody is afraid to offer them!!!...

-- Edited by Baker on Wednesday 20th of January 2010 12:35:20 PM
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote