Docking a twin screw boat...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think you are right on for the most part. I also look at flags for wind speed and direction in the slips and tidal movement in the marina.

With qualification, to your reference to using both engines to dock. I certainly have them both running, but my goal is to enter my slip, see avatar, with minimal forward speed, both engines in neutral and proper angle. If done correctly, I should only have to put the port engine into reverse long enough, to move the stern to the dock and arrest the forward momentum. That's my perfect landing and if that doesn't work, then all bets are off. :eek:

And always have an out plan==one final move when all the planning goes to he**

I'll put my two cents in for what it's worth.

I was out solo and lost the port engine . My dock has a tight 90 degree turn in it and the wind was up the bum of the boat.I had never bothered manoeuvring the boat with only one engine, so I stood off the club for about half an hour working out how to get her to turn tight to port.

I finally figured it out.Come to a dead stop at the turn ,wheel hard over and a lot of power for about five seconds, back to neutral and centre the helm.To me the trick was coming to a dead stop first.

My point is, it was only the practice with nothing to hit, that gave me the confidence to do it when I had to. So when all is calm and you are not in a rush to go anywhere, try a tight manoeuvre on one engine around a marker buoy or something, it will teach you something about your boat.

The practice thing is overrated.

How does one get practice?

I would say most people on this forum have to dock there boat 15 or 20 times a year.

If you are not using your boat daily where you can get the practice.
Use everything at your disposal to get her home without playing bumper boats.

SD

I still need lots of practice docking in the wind, and always have a play in the open part of the marina before trying to pull into the slip.

Some probably wonder what I am doing out there when I check what effect the wind will have on the boat at various angles and speeds. A small difference in angle can have a big effect on boat movement.

I would say most people on this forum have to dock there boat 15 or 20 times a year.

Easy enough to do it over and over several times after each return or arrival.

Into slip, out again, repeat until the beckoning beverage just won't wait any longer...

-Chris

The practice thing is overrated.

SD

1. Patience.
Once I learned to ignore the "suggestions" of my hollering dock neighbors it got much easier. Who cares how many attempts I make but me. Single screw, no thruster.

2. Observation
I keep fore and aft flags. Where are they blowing and how strong? Is there a current on the pilings or are they still? How tight is the marina and the spacing?

3. Knowledge of your boat (Practice)
How much thrust is a "tap" versus a "lunge" versus a "full power" out. Which way does she pull? I use a lot of little baby thrusts to guide in, and I try never to be in a hurry.

4. Help on dock.
I have excellent neighbors in most places I've been. I can ask the to tie a line to a cleat for my stern and I can use the leverage for that to square up a stern entry.

5. Limits.
If the wind or conditions are crazy, anchor until it improves or tie up to a face dock and move later. No shame in avoiding an insurance claim.

Back
Top Bottom