Article on Living/Working Aboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonfish

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Traveler
Vessel Make
Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
For those interested (particularly people new to or considering living aboard) here's a pdf of an article I wrote that just came out in the September issue of Cruising Outpost magazine. It's about our experiences last summer moving aboard, living and working on our Cheoy Lee 46 trawler in the San Juan Islands.

Attachments

• CO pg 48-53 Cruising The PNW.pdf
    471.1 KB · Views: 331
I'm not seeing the link. Can you re-post it please? It would interest me.

Thanks

I'm not seeing the link. Can you re-post it please? It would interest me.

Thanks

Hmmm... Are you using a mobile device? I see the link and can open it with Adobe Acrobat on my computer.

I built myself a desk so I can work this winter as we travel the ICW and spend time in Florida. Just gotta up the cell data plan for when the wifi is scarce.

Btw no trouble downloading the pdf of the article.

Dave

Last edited:
I ran my Brokerage for years (1990-1995) from the pilothouse of my boat. There was no internet back then, but even then a land line forwarded to a cell phone (giant Motorola the size of a brick!) with a fax modem worked when out cruising. Just needed my giant copier too.
Sure like the internet, and better yet, these tiny phones that do everything from take photos, to movies. I now have a virtual office in my pocket- that I can also use to listen to music or police scanners when bored, or watch movies! How cool is that?! Back then I had to use film, go by tender to find a photo processor, cut and paste, then mail the layouts to publishers. The lead time from listing a boat to seeing it in print was 3 months for National Publications. I was happy as heck when the Boat Trader came along, which only had a 7 day lead to the news stands. Technology today is great. Remember beepers? Remember News Stands?!

Last edited:
I misread the thread title and thought it applied to me.
I'm working abroad, not working aboard. :facepalm:
Nowhere near as fun.

I misread the thread title and thought it applied to me.
I'm working abroad, not working aboard. :facepalm:
Nowhere near as fun.

Then I misread your post. I thought you said you were working a broad... :lol:

I ran my Brokerage for years (1990-1995) from the pilothouse of my boat. There was no internet back then, but even then a land line forwarded to a cell phone (giant Motorola the size of a brick!) with a fax modem worked when out cruising. Just needed my giant copier too.
Sure like the internet, and better yet, these tiny phones that do everything from take photos, to movies. I now have a virtual office in my pocket- that I can also use to listen to music or police scanners when bored, or watch movies! How cool is that?! Back then I had to use film, go by tender to find a photo processor, cut and paste, then mail the layouts to publishers. The lead time from listing a boat to seeing it in print was 3 months for National Publications. I was happy as heck when the Boat Trader came along, which only had a 7 day lead to the news stands. Technology today is great. Remember beepers? Remember News Stands?!

Your post remided me of a picture someone emailed me recently: (Add to these reams of Nav charts, encyclopedias, libraries etc etc)

20 years later and all of these things fit in your pocket.

Attachments

• Twenty years ago  fits in your pocket.JPG
    Twenty years ago fits in your pocket.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 99
True that! When I said "cut and paste" I meant LITERALLY with scissors and PASTE!
Those in the art world will remember rub on letters -can't even remember the name now (Letraset?), but they were expensive, and the ONLY way to do it. Had to have bottles of ink, Rapidiograph pen's to fill in the gaps where they cracked, and lots of white out. Today, we just hit "control V- and C" and DONE. Good riddance all those supply's!!! Love the Internet! Love the Android phones. Just saw a thing on local news of a guy that's converted his Smart Phone into a Stun Gun with app- after being mugged.
Also now guys are designing boats on CAD program on computers and 3-D printers! Days of clay and lofting LONG gone. Good! That took skill, and talent!
Certainly leaves cleaner studios if nothing else!

Last edited:
True that! When I said "cut and paste" I meant LITERALLY with scissors and PASTE!
Those in the art world will remember rub on letters -can't even remember the name now (Letraset?), but they were expensive, and the ONLY way to do it. Had to have bottles of ink, Rapidiograph pen's to fill in the gaps where they cracked, and lots of white out. Today, we just hit "control V- and C" and DONE. Good riddance all those supply's!!! Love the Internet! Love the Android phones. Just saw a thing on local news of a guy that's converted his Smart Phone into a Stun Gun with app- after being mugged.
Also now guys are designing boats on CAD program on computers and 3-D printers! Days of clay and lofting LONG gone. Good! That took skill, and talent!
Certainly leaves cleaner studios if nothing else!

PK, did you mean this?

transfer type

I used it extensively in the 60s and 70s for advertising flyers.

Thanks

For those interested (particularly people new to or considering living aboard) here's a pdf of an article I wrote that just came out in the September issue of Cruising Outpost magazine. It's about our experiences last summer moving aboard, living and working on our Cheoy Lee 46 trawler in the San Juan Islands.

Nice article, Darren. Thanks for posting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom