America's Cup 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TV coverage was great on NBC and replayed on UTUBE but being there on Saturday was even better, to watch these machines close up and see just how fast they can go from 10 to 50 MPH is amazing. Then to have the trimaran blow by us under sail with 50-75 boats all around, was just bazare.

I'll never understand why some stick boaters felt the need to sail through all these boats trying to watch the race. All in all a great day weather wise and race wise some close moments watch the boats.

Attachments

• 100_3520.jpg
    100_3520.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 100_3525.jpg
    100_3525.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 100_3496.jpg
    100_3496.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 100_3499.jpg
    100_3499.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 100_3550.jpg
    100_3550.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 82
Wow!! (Don't want to be a spoiler to our friends on the south side.)

Wow!! (Don't want to be a spoiler to our friends on the south side.)
And to think there are those on this Forum that thought "tactics" would never enter in to it. (I've got to admit that I was a "wreck" until the day was over.):blush:
The smart money is still on the Kiwiis. At least we're making it competitive.

Last edited:
Don't worry you are as some of these rules like the 40 min time limit as required by NBC are bull

However credit to Oracle for stepping it up an extra couple of notches

I am busy reading a book about Peter Blake the best Kiwi yachtsman who was murdered on the Amazon and was key to the Americas Cup challenge back in the 80s

Just as well I am anchored off the TN to river in Pickwick Lake away from Verizon service so that I could stream the race

Common TNZ you only need to win one more lets do it ......

You guys were robbed by that 40 minute rule, gwkiwi. You had it all within your reach...and it was snatched away by the time limit.

I didn't know that was a network requirement. I heard they had similar rules in the past and previous race(s) were abandoned due to it. Clearly, 40 minutes is too short.

I'm still pissed about Team USA cheating and a part of me wants the Kiwis to win because of it...but I've still got to cheer on my team. Either way, they are great races and much more competitive and well balanced than many had feared.

I told the Admiral today that those are the first blow boats I've felt would be a real kick in the ass to ride on. I was almost embarrassed when the words just came out like that!

I apologize to my fellow Trawlermen for my transgression. (BTW, no offense to our motor sailors...they're in a 'special' category.)

When Australia 2 took the Cup all those years back, the US boat was in the position NZ is now, one short of a win. Despite the odds, Oz 2 won, so no conceding guys, USA can still win, there is still a competition.
I`d just rather it was between 2 real boats, not these strange cats. But some people think the old real 12M boats were dogs.

If we're going to do 12M slow boat races, let's have our own Trawler Race!

Who's in?

And to think there are those on this Forum that thought "tactics" would never enter in to it. (I've got to admit that I was a "wreck" until the day was over.):blush:
The smart money is still on the Kiwiis. At least we're making it competitive.

You're right there Walt. Talk about making a meal of it. The saying "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory" is even starting to intrude into my mind.
You'd almost think the TV people had asked them to drag it out a bit. I almost wish it was the case, but no...Oracle just seems to have found an extra gear, and the weather Gods seem to be getting in on the act as well. Tell you what. If Team USA wins from here, they'll certainly deserve it.

Pete, do you really think the aussie guys sailing for the Americans could get up and beat the Aussie guys sailing for the Kiwi's? :D

Possibly Andy, (you mischievous fellow), because there are more Aussie boys on Oracle than in Team NZ.

LOL!! Hired guns, for sure.

I am absolutely pinned to the TV after watching Race 17. What a start, especially the collision! C'mon boys...show 'em what you've got.

I was planning to go to the boat today, but without cable TV onboard, I would have missed the live race broadcast. Glad I'm not missing this one.

Who would have guessed that it would come down to one sudden death sail-off. You couldn't blame anyone for putting their money on Team USA now, much as it distresses me to say it, being an ex-Kiwi.
I think tomorrow I'll be Australian...nah..once a Kiwi, always a Kiwi, but heh, it's only A BOAT RACE, RIGHT..?

Looks like I might not be going to the boat tomorrow either! What a great day of racing (if you're a Yank or an Aussie)! Has there ever been a bigger comeback in all of sports?

Race 19 now becomes the Holy Grail of the America's Cup races!!

My entire day revolves around the clock

1300 and I am in front of the TV. The most amazing and suspenseful races. (Well except for #2 this PM)

Go US-AU-

Looks like I might not be going to the boat tomorrow either! What a great day of racing (if you're a Yank or an Aussie)! Has there ever been a bigger comeback in all of sports?

Race 19 now becomes the Holy Grail of the America's Cup races!!

but heh, it's only A BOAT RACE, RIGHT..?
No, it's much more than that. It's American money (not borrowed in this case) against Kiwi money. The crews really don't have much to do with it as both boats are sailed by Kiwis and Aussies.

In all sincerity, cancelling of the races with the 40 minute rule or high winds hasn't really impacted the outcome. Rules are rules and everyone knew what they are before the first race was sailed.

It would appear that tactics have everything to do with the outcome (along with the obvious "shadow drive" Oracle must have. I have never seen a sail boat pass another one like Oracle did in that last race.)

It'll be a real dog fight tomorrow!

Sooo. I haven't watched one race of this series. Dunno why. Now, suddenly, I want to watch/record the "Big One" tomorrow on Direct TV. I am told by a friend that it is on Direct TV Channel 220 (NBC Sports) at 1:15 p.m.. I have searched high and low under all the buzzwords but Direct TV shows no programming for America's Cup, on that Channel or anywhere, tomorrow or anytime. Period. I have set my recorder to record at 1:00 p.m. tomorrow on 220 for 5 hours. Hope that this does it. Anybody got any better info?

Last edited:
It would appear that tactics have everything to do with the outcome (along with the obvious "shadow drive" Oracle must have. I have never seen a sail boat pass another one like Oracle did in that last race.)

We didn't bring on Yanmar as a sponsor for nothing!

Sooo. I am told by a friend that it is on Direct TV Channel 220 (NBC Sports) at 1:15 p.m.. I have set my recorder to record at 1:00 p.m. tomorrow on 220 for 5 hours. Hope that this does it.
My guess is that will do it. I have cable and it's on NBC Sports on cable. If you haven't see even one race, Google Americas Cup as it has numerous sites to see old races.

It's been quite spectacular....so much so, that it is almost impossible to believe. Far and away more exciting than anything Hollywood could dream up.

.......It would appear that tactics have everything to do with the outcome (along with the obvious "shadow drive" Oracle must have. I have never seen a sail boat pass another one like Oracle did in that last race.) It'll be a real dog fight tomorrow!

Hey Walt - that's it - they must have a 'wing' engine..!

I think that should be 1:00 on the west coast, Dwhatty. If my math is correct, that's 4:00 ET. It's been 2 hr coverage, so you should have it covered.

Right now, my 1300-1500 programming is showing Charlie Moore, Wakeboarding, The Crossover and Pro Football Talk. Since these AC Races are running more days than expected, I suspect the regularly scheduled programming is still listed in the on-screen guide and lot updated until the next day, if at all. Today's listings didn't update on my TV until a couple of hours before the race.

Here's a replay of today's races.

Last edited:
This has become depressing for us Kiwi's although I have to give credit to Oracle who clearly sailed a good race and the Oracle crew are working that boat to the end.

After tomorrow I just hope the lawyers stay clear of the result on both sides, as word on the water is that Oracles attorneys will file suit if they lose claiming that they would have won except for the EXCESSIVE penalty for cheating.

If I were in Vegas I would bet 2 to 1 on Oracle but we are in MS boating so we will just keep our fingers crossed again.....

I was fortunate to be an on water spectator for the 25th defense in 83. I am now fortuante enough to be a spectator of the 34th defense. I have to say these cats along with the media's technological advances have made this racing much more exciting to watch, especially now that is not a blowout anymore. Go Oracle!

I'm totally loving this race series. You kidding me? 60 mph sailboats!!! I used to be a sailor and would truthfully say "the only sport where you drive to a marina at 60 mph, to go 6 mph all day". Used to come home after being off on a sailing trip for a week, and the first thing I would do would be to get in my 442 or 6.3 and ROAR up and down the McArthur Causeway at 100 mph, just to "get back to normal" after spending a week at "whoo-hoo we hit 8 coming down that wave". NOW?! Wow. Those cat's are outrunning high performance boats! For those who've run big fast power boats, you can imagine the wind coming across those cats. I would love to take a ride on one. First year I've ever enjoyed the America's cup. Can't beat the beautiful background of the Bay either. Some really NICE yachts there in the background too. It's always been a billionaire sport, but this is the first time it's appealed to thrill junkies. Certainly the first boat races I've found myself jumping out of my chair when those cat's fly. I mean- people DIE. Take that Nascar!

Last edited:
Soooo! Great final race. Impressive.

But I am confused.

Can someone please tell me who won?

Did the Kiwis beat the Aussies, or vice versa?

Or did an American billionaire beat an Arab airline company?

I can say without any hesitation that I have never seen a more classy and honorable opponent than ETNZ. Emirates set the bar, lived on the leading edge of the new technology and was the first to really grasp the concepts essential to winning the Cup. You dominated the competition with all other challengers and through half of the finals. What a record!!

Oracle was fortunate to be able to observe then compete with ETNZ to learn how to do it right. Without that example, I doubt we would have reached the pinnacle. Credit also goes to all those Oracle engineers sitting at computer screens until 5AM working out all the tweaks to the boat that ultimately made the Oracle boat just "that" much faster.

I have watched several America's Cup regattas but this was, by far, the most classy, the most interesting, the most evenly matched, the most exciting...and the longest... in history. No doubt this comeback and victory will go down in the annals of history as the most incredible comeback of all sporting events.

Thanks to the Aussies and the Kiwis for making this such a fantastic event. I hope the Americans have learned a thing or two about sportsmanship and class in sports by observing the competitors from your two countries. Sincerely, I wish we were more like you.

Thanks for a great Cup Regatta. I really can't wait for the next one. Might even find myself rooting for the challenger!

All I can say is WOW!!!

Sometimes it gives me the s**ts when I'm right, and that is wrooooong...!

I really feel for Dean and his crew now - they will be feeling about as low, as Jimmy Spithill and his crew are feeling high...but in the end, they were beaten by a faster boat. They did nothing wrong, if you discount the hiccup when they tipped up and let Oracle through for her first win back at race 4 I think. Then there was the wind peaking out and robbing them twice, then dropping to low and the time limit robbing them - any one of which would have clinched the Cup. But, that's the way it played out, and whereas they had learnt to wring the max out of their boat during Luis Vuitton, so there was little left to discover, Team USA was still learning to get the max out of theirs, and did end up with a faster boat. Otherwise there is no way you come back from 8:1 down, so all credit to them, it sure was exciting racing.

Now what next eh...? The sad thing is NZ may not challenge again, it has got so expensive. I hope they do, but won't be surprised if they don't.
Congrats USA..!

I am one of 4 million gutted Kiwi's but congrats to Oracle they sailed their boat well and gave it 150% and deserved the win.

The ball is in Larry Ellison's camp again I just hope he sets the rules for the next cup so that more than 4 nations can compete. At this point he may be the only one showing up to race in 4 years if things dont change.

Now back to working on my trawler's to do list instead of waiting for the daily fix of Americas Cup racing.

I feel for TNZ......:facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom