COLREGs in the supermarket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greatpapabear

Vessel Name
Play d'eau
Vessel Make
Fleming 55
I think I may be losing it.

When I'm in the supermarket wheeling the trolley that at times is restricted in its ability to manoeuvre, I find myself using COLREGS to avoid other shoppers.

Am I the 'stand on trolley' or 'give way trolley' or 'just off my trolley?

Your advice is welcome.

Windward or leeward..? Starboard or port tack..?

I think all you guys are off your trolley.:D However, it was funny!:lol: Just remember to push right to go to port--left to go to starboard.

Does rather annoy me when others are under way, not making way, in my way! :dance:

Ted

When I started boating on the ICW I used to practice thinking One whistle or Two whistle signals when walking and meeting or passing people in stores.
There is LOTS of commercial traffic on the ICW between Houston and New Orleans and that is the language they use, best to know what they are talking about.

I think all you guys are off your trolley.:D However, it was funny!:lol: Just remember to push right to go to port--left to go to starboard.

Apparently you are referring to single-handing the trolley/cart. I prefer the twins control in my cart maneuvering. Like in my boat, forward stbd with aft port gives a port turn. Each input is minimal and coordinated for smooth control. I will admit that there have been times under heavy load that I wished I also had a bow thruster for sharp evasive maneuvers around fellow shoppers not abiding by the ColRegs.

I will also admit to having occasional stern thruster problems, but I try to limit those to times when moving briskly down an empty aisle so as to minimize the aromatic effect for my fellow shoppers. :rolleyes:

I think I may be losing it.

When I'm in the supermarket wheeling the trolley that at times is restricted in its ability to manoeuvre, I find myself using COLREGS to avoid other shoppers.

Am I the 'stand on trolley' or 'give way trolley' or 'just off my trolley?

Your advice is welcome.

For a grand experience under Cat 5 hurricane winds, go shopping at a Walmart on Black Friday, the earlier the better. It all gets thrown out the window and survival instincts take over. :rofl:

When I'm in the supermarket wheeling the trolley
I think about how the left side of the buggy handle and the right side of the buggy handle work like the clutch handles on a twin screw. Push one and pull the other and you can rotate the buggy within it's own length. Don't have to worry about wind or current, just the possible slope of the floor.

I will also admit to having occasional stern thruster problems, but I try to limit those to times when moving briskly down an empty aisle so as to minimize the aromatic effect for my fellow shoppers. :rolleyes:

Good!

Attachments

• laughing.gif
    laughing.gif
    46 KB · Views: 445
In Miami, I found that carrying my oversized rod-holder and attaching it to the rear of the cart, thusly, often gained me special consideration when the cashier lines were long.

Attachments

• equiped shopping cart.jpg
    equiped shopping cart.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 119
In Miami, I found that carrying my oversized rod-holder and attaching it to the rear of the cart, thusly, often gained me special consideration when the cashier lines were long.

Larry is that also your fighting chair?:D

I think about how the left side of the buggy handle and the right side of the buggy handle work like the clutch handles on a twin screw.

Hey, you stole my patented teaching technique for handling twins!

If they have a single screw, I tell them turn the cart around and push it backwards. The only way to point the "bow" where you want it to go is to move the "stern" sideways in the opposite direction.

I really do think about clutches when I push a shopping cart. Really.

Bring the boats 10Gage cannon with you , quick mount on the cart.

HAHAHA!!!

I also find myself following the basic Rules of the Road. Determining who is the 'stand-on trolly' when exiting aisles into the main channel and blowing one whistle or two when overtaking. The big problem is trying to decide what side to take the red and green cans in the coffee aisle!

Coffee.jpg

Or a green nun:
img_181475_1_5f857d6a337bf85ba83902bc9107d5b7.jpg

I also do the throttle and clutch thing, and rarely make a ubee into the next isle without "drifting" into the turn.

And here I thought you yacht owners had people that did the shopping for you.

Shaking my head wondering what calibre of people I got myself mixed up with this time. I hear talk of sixpacks, and think it's a license, but it's what you picked up in the beer aisle.

Shaking my head wondering what calibre of people I got myself mixed up with this time. I hear talk of sixpacks, and think it's a license, but it's what you picked up in the beer aisle.

I don't know about the other guys, but in my case 6 pack refers to abs.:eek:

Attachments

• redneck.jpeg
    redneck.jpeg
    10.4 KB · Views: 352

No worries, Rambler. We'll drag you down to our level soon enough. Enjoy the ride...and keep that fridge stocked in the event a fellow TFer stops by to say hi or help with a project (which is code for "have you got a beer?").

Back
Top Bottom