View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
pilothouse king
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
I ran my Brokerage for years (1990-1995) from the pilothouse of my boat. There was no internet back then, but even then a land line forwarded to a cell phone (giant Motorola the size of a brick!) with a fax modem worked when out cruising. Just needed my giant copier too.
Sure like the internet, and better yet, these tiny phones that do everything from take photos, to movies. I now have a virtual office in my pocket- that I can also use to listen to music or police scanners when bored, or watch movies! How cool is that?! Back then I had to use film, go by tender to find a photo processor, cut and paste, then mail the layouts to publishers. The lead time from listing a boat to seeing it in print was 3 months for National Publications. I was happy as heck when the Boat Trader came along, which only had a 7 day lead to the news stands. Technology today is great. Remember beepers? Remember News Stands?!
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote