Auto pilot , navigation and radar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Orcades

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Orcades
Vessel Make
1973 Malahide 57' 80 ton
My old Robertson AP is playing up , old but functional radar and plotters ,
What complete system would you recommend ? Sailing Europe

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
What complete system would you recommend ? Sailing Europe
SIMRAD! Really intuitive system and they're made over there. (Actually, there are not any truly bad ones.)

Raymarine- especially the new Evolution autopilot.

NMEA 2000 is nice for interconnectability- at the same time, going with one manufacturer for all your gear reduces problems across the network.

I love my Simrad, but given your goals I would put the most powerful radar array in that I thought was reasonable. I have found the broadband (G3) to be only very effective close in. I would also buy all of my equipment from one manufacturer to eliminate issues with mix and match hardware. I have all Simrad and for "the money that I had to spend", I think it's tops! It's almost always about the money you have, or want, to spend. All of the top of the line stuff has everything from on board routers for phones, computers, and music as well as all the stuff you need :) Hard to go wrong unless you are unlucky.

Simrad is available all over Europe, while Si-tex is a no-name in Europe (not meaning bad, just that its not readily available), so difficult to repair or buy.

Simrad gets my vote.

Last edited:
Find a shop and have the Robertson fixed.

It probably lasted 20-30 years , so another 30 should be fine.

FF You are dead right , cheers

Back
Top Bottom