Holding Tank filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Back when... in 1970's, I owned a then like new 31' "Holiday Rambler Presidential" travel trailer. She had all the options; a self contained beaut! Built like a BSH - pun intended toward this thread's ongoing discussion. LOL

Anyway... one feature was its tow vehicle “black tank” reduction system, via exhaust: In that, during 100 miles highway travel the entire black tank (when full) could evidently be emptied and burned by the tow vehicle’s exhaust heat. I don’t recall exactly what turned me away from using that system after careful review of its instructions, however, I never used that feature. Simply seemed more sanitary to utilize dump stations where sewage can be sent to treatment locations or placed into huge septic tank systems with liquefied distribution into expansive leach fields.

That being said... On land, septic tank fed leach field systems properly sized/constructed and often fed with correct bacteria are one of the one of the most efficient and “green” (i.e. naturally clean) manners of treating human waste... bar none!

Last edited:
One large Goose or Swan puts out 5X the waste of a human per day.

Lets shoot the swans and poop in the bay, IF you want clean water!

Groco built a "Thermapure system" at one time, it used heat to treat maccerated waste. I believe temps of +- 170* will do the job on the bacteria. They were using AC power, I always wondered about using engine heat while cruising? AC shore or gen while moored.

Hey Steve, that should make a really nice "stew".:D

Hey Steve, that should make a really nice "stew".:D
You just gave me a brilliant idea
I'll put a toilet seat on an XX-large slow cooker pot use it a couple of days when it's full crank up the cooker for a while and dump contents over the side, except in NDZs of course.

You just gave me a brilliant idea
I'll put a toilet seat on an XX-large slow cooker pot use it a couple of days when it's full crank up the cooker for a while and dump contents over the side, except in NDZs of course.

This thread has entered... YUCK! Please!!

Two posts and two opposite positions...state vs manufacturer. Not surprising.

1. We have the manufacturers telling us that Formaldehyde is "100% biodegradable" and safe for septic systems.

2. We have the government telling us that formaldehyde "may be" non-biodegradable and due to the 'potential impact" on pump-out systems, its use should be avoided. By its own admission the DTSC states that it has not evaluated or tested the veracity of the claims of biodegradability.

"These chemicals have not been evaluated by DTSC, but based on their potential impact to “dump stations” should be avoided in holding tank deodorizers."

It also implies incorrectly in mealy-mouthed wording that formaldehyde is a prohibited chemical for this use in the state of California. I know that formaldehyde products are available for purchase in CA for the holding tank use. I purchase them here and they are widely available.

"There are a number of products available to control these odors, but some of these products may contain chemicals that are banned and cannot be sold or used in chemical toilets in California.

Many chemicals are banned in these products, but formaldehyde, which is commonly used to reduce odor, in particular, has come to the attention of the Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC).

Based on chemical information, formaldehyde may be a non-biodegradable toxic chemical substance and you should avoid purchasing and using any chemical toilet product that lists formaldehyde as an ingredient in any concentration."

3. Letter from the California Association of RV Parks and Campgrounds

We have an RV Park owner's association telling us this chemical is not banned in the state but is detrimental to their systems. They ask the state to ban the sale of the chemicals.

I find the state memo intentionally misleading, however well-intentioned it might be. There is a deliberate attempt to imply illegality and unlawful use when none exists.

I also consider the manufacturer's bulletin simplistic in its acceptance of formaldehyde as fault-free in its effect on septic systems. It might be biodegradable, but if it also kills the bacteria in the septic system, that's a problem.

The RV Park Association probably has the most straight forward presentation here...the products are legal for sale and purchase within the state and their effect on the septic systems is significant.

To be honest, I have never deeply pondered these issues before, but I probably should have. Next time around, I'll try some of the non-formaldehyde products and see how well they work. Thanks for posting that link, RickB.

:popcorn:Wow, all I wanted to do was share my cheapo way of changing out the charcoal.:facepalm: Always learning here on TF.

After watching a post progress for two days a fella has to ask himself." Why the hell did I even bring this up!:nonono:

After watching a post progress for two days a fella has to ask himself." Why the hell did I even bring this up!:nonono:

So that all sphincters can be well informed - Why Else?? :rofl:

>I'll put a toilet seat on an XX-large slow cooker pot use it a couple of days when it's full crank up the cooker for a while and dump contents over the side, except in NDZs of course. <

Probably easier to just purchase an existing product.

I N C I N O L E T

incinolet.com/‎
Incinolet uses electric heat to reduce human waste to a clean, non-polluting ash. It uses no water and drains nothing out.‎I N C I N O L E T -INCINOLET ... - ‎About Us - ‎Contact Us

Dave,
Actually I think your post served well. T.Y. I have been doing the same with the vent line filters for a number of years now and it works well and is a LOT cheaper that buying new all the time. I used a mesh or screen to sew a bag then closed with a tiny Tyrap that holds the charcoal so it can't migrate. I punched out the foam at the ends that contained the original charcoal to reduce airflow restriction. Yeah, I know air flow still is not great.

Your post also prompted some other good info out that was not available except indirectly.

Bubblers or aeration. Yes it has been around for a while but not really very much info about it. Certainly not promoted much and not effectively.

When I built and installed my tank ~15 yrs ago there was no info about aeration in boat holding tank systems that I found.

RickB's, Hopcar's and Steve's posts got me to realize that there is more to it. Dah, Of course municipal systems stir and aerate for the same reason.

I will put this on a speed up list of todo's. My system works well now but it can be better, obviously.

I know Peggie Hall doesn't like filters in the vent line. She doesn't want to restrict the air flow and she says they often get blocked.

I'm not sure it's possible for the typical 5/8" ID vent line to supply enough air to support the aerobic bacteria any way. Maybe the filter is the way to go. Let it stink, pump out often, and change the charcoal.

Another way to go would be Groco's Sweet Tank Kit. It pumps air into the bottom of the holding tank whick kills the stinky bacteria.
stk-18-pcs-450-09-wv.jpg

HopCar, this sure looks like a good solution. What sort of cost is it, and how hard to install?

Hi Steve, when I get to the store today I'll work up a price for you. As I recall it wasn't cheap and you may be better off making a copy of Steve W's system.

No wonder I'm not rich. I keep telling people not to buy things! Stupid, Stupid, Stupid.

Hi Steve, when I get to the store today I'll work up a price for you. As I recall it wasn't cheap and you may be better off making a copy of Steve W's system.

No wonder I'm not rich. I keep telling people not to buy things! Stupid, Stupid, Stupid.

Naw - Feeling, feeling, feeling - toward the well being of fellow TF members' pocketbooks... OK, maybe just a bit stupid! :hide:

Defender currently has a Special Buy price of $224; the cheapest I could find. Just purchased the kit for my unsavory head and plan to install over the winter.

Mike

I removed the filter and installed two 1 1/2" vent lines. Used the bacteria. Peggy recommend. The unpleasant smell disappeared. I am a happy camper

Steve, I looked up the price of the Groco Sweet Tank system. They have two versions. One is much cheaper than the other. I haven't figured out the difference yet. I'm still working on it. I need to down load the new Groco catalog.

I removed the filter and installed two 1 1/2" vent lines. Used the bacteria. Peggy recommend. The unpleasant smell disappeared. I am a happy camper

That's what I did on by previous boat (sail) and it worked well also, but wasn't sure I could get my vent runs short enough on the current trawler (the holding tank is centerline/low and integral to the keel). How did you run your dual vent lines?

Mike

That's what I did on by previous boat (sail) and it worked well also, but wasn't sure I could get my vent runs short enough on the current trawler (the holding tank is centerline/low and integral to the keel). How did you run your dual vent lines?

Mike

Mike. I installed two plastic tru hulls at opposite sides of the holding tank. And ran the hoses as straight as i could. 1 1/2" is probably over kill but figured it could not hurt. .....oh I installed a 4"plastic screw port for access inside the tank

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom