View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 04:57 PM   #19
Baker
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Single or twins???

Marin, you are dodging my point. Sedans are easier to move about on...PERIOD. I will retract my "one level of living" moniker of that'll make you feel better. How about two levels(excepting a flybridge)....other boats are multiple levels. That does NOT change the FACT that sedans are easier to move about on. Your French guests did more step and "level changes" than just up and down the forward area of the boat. They step out the door(which requires a stepover/duck under maneuver) then what as they go aft to the dinghy??? A walk down an unprotected narrow side deck and then a step down??? If there is no step down then that just translates to a bigger level change to get to the dinghy. You likely have to clear the gun'l and get down some transom mounted step/pads to get to the platform. Not at all a big deal for able bodied people. But to say that the access is exactly the same or even similar is bordering on delusional. A lot of **** can happen on the journey down the side deck and over the gun'l to the swim platform.

Marin, I am in no way saying that sedans are better boats. They are definitely a compromise in space. They are my preference, generally, but that is just a personal preference. My next boat may very well be a sundeck....simply because I want something with lots of space. I would ultimately prefer a pilothouse....somewhat of a sedan with extra space....although it does add an extra interior level(the pilothouse). But pilothouses are generally bigger and expensive.

Now I am not going to get into a measuring contest of who has more cruising experience. You are older than I and I do hope you have more experience than I do. But your assumption that my experience is strictly limited to day jaunts across the bay could be considered offensive(presumptuous, arrogant, condescending,etc)....although I am not offended. I know your style enough to know that you are not speaking with malice or ill will. You're just a little irritated that you have taken an unwinnable position in this argument.... I lived aboard a Prairie 29 Sedan for almost 6 years.....half of it(3 years...that simple math again) with my then girlfriend and now wife. Most people that liveaboard dockside have a tendency to not use their boats as much. We were the opposite. We would untie and go all the time. We used our boat more as a liveaboard then we do as non-liveaboard. That is likely more liveaboard experience than the majority of boaters...FWIW.

I also have the confidence of the public in general that they will do diligent research and not give too much weight to a couple of crotchety f***s(one old, one younger ) on a forum. I seriously doubt people are gonna race out and buy a sedan based on my alleged misinformation.

And I seem to remember an article about 5-8 years ago in PMM about a wheelchair bound boater that singlehands his boat. His choice was a Mainship Pilot 30.....the sedan version....for whatever that is worth.

-- Edited by Baker on Monday 18th of January 2010 07:20:06 PM
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote