Tidahapah Refit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AusCan,
Don't hold your breath waiting for aerial ping pong to become all Australian let alone International.
I know we have a team in Queensland (my missus loves the Lions), she even converted from Rugby.
Anyhow footy season is just about over and its boating season, see you on the water.
Cheers
Benn

Auscan, this may sound a bit odd, coming from an ex-Kiwi Aussie, but I think I would have loved to play AFL (or Aussie Rules to the uninitiated) at high school. I was not that fond of playing Rugby, although like watching it, so I played Soccer instead. Now the A League is getting right up there in standard, I'm enjoying that, but really, the tragedy about AFL is the apparent failure to settle on an international code set of rules. The nearest they get to an international game is that travesty when they play Ireland with a mishmash of both AFL Aussie rules and Gaelic Football rules...if only they could agree to a permanent set of common rules between those two countries then it might have a chance, but I can't see it really. So, sorry, Soccer and Union rule the rules, in world terms. As to Gridiron..that's another whole story...

Been, how much longer are you going to be down there at the GC City Marina. I'd like to jog down and have a gander. Will you be there next wednesday afternoon - that's my pm off..?

Peter,
Doctors day off.
Mate I get home next Thurs am. Will be down the boat on Friday and most likely there the next Wed afternoon the 11 th.
Hopefully about to sail out and up the Bay around.
We'll keep in contact.

Benn

Ok, we'll keep wednesday 11th Sept in sight eh..

Especially with the America's Cup races just around the corner! :hide:

It may get worse with the Americas Cup jury decision expected Tuesday, this is an excerpt from the NZ Herald:

Kiwi Stephen Barclay will play one of the key roles in helping to decide whether Oracle Team USA could be expelled from the America's Cup or be penalised heavily in the next few days.

Barclay, the 53-year-old head of the America's Cup Event Authority and a former Oracle executive, has been asked to provide a report to the America's Cup international jury on the commercial implications if the cheating allegations facing Oracle are proven. Part of that report will inevitably encompass what happens if the defender is expelled.

Lets hope they are not expelled but they should suffer stiff consequences....

Stay tuned:nonono:

I was out & about today in magnificent early spring weather and came across Tidahapah's first cousin, well not really up to her lofty heights but some similarities nevertheless.

Attachments

• aug13 012.jpg
    aug13 012.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 67
  • aug13 013.jpg
    aug13 013.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 71
  • aug13 011.jpg
    aug13 011.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 63
Andy,
Nice looking old carvel cruiser.
Be nice to know more about her.
Cheers
Benn

Benn,

The boat is looking great. It's interesting that your stabilizer poles are (to my eyes) very short compared to those in use here on the Westcoast of North America. Yours appear to be shorter than the beam of the boat? Out here we commonly use 20' poles on a 15' beam 50' LOA boat. Longer poles mean higher working loads in the gear, but lots more stabilizing force is exerted with smaller fish......anyway your experience with how they perform will be interesting.

Tad,
You are right, they are a bit shorter than usual.
They originally came of Waverly and I have lengthened them by 500 mm (20").
The reasons are
1. Waverly is carvel planked and Tidahapah is sharpie (hard chine) not so rolly
2. Ascetics
The shorter version worked fairly well on Waverley and so with the extension should work even better on Tidahapah, still look pleasing to the eye overall and reduce stresses on the mizzen mast and so not entail such heavy hardware.
Cheers
Benn

This could keep you outa mischief for quite a while Craig. You'd have to "TAKE YOUR FEET OFF THAT RAIL", for a few hours at least....:rofl:

No chance Pete, thanks to you and Bruce have some new iPhone apps thus keeping my feet firmly affixed to the rail. Wife chided me that we'll need a hired skipper once my youngest son moves on or give up my spot on the rail for the helm seat.

Sorry for the hijack Benn but following your sharpie refit left me pining to see more Aussie boats. Boat looks natural with the sticks up. Well done!

Craig,
Don't forget to follow this link
Classic Moreton Bay Cruisers > Home

and then go buy the photos and this takes you to millarsphoto.com.au

This is a coffee table book plus a small companion of some of the classic boats out of Queensland.
Cheers
Benn

Home at last and in the final stages of getting Tidahapah ready to head north.
I have 1 week to complete it all.
Fitted new frig and freezer in the wheelhouse today and started on some of the post refit cleaning up.
Sails to be fitted, paravane arms to be finally fitted and adjusted, dinghy cradle to be fitted (we have a small problem here but hope to resolve this on Monday), HF ant up stay to be fitted, and some other minor buts and pieces.
Took some photos today, some may be repeats but should be better quality than others I posted.

Attachments

• P1000019.JPG
    P1000019.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 74
  • P1000021.jpg
    P1000021.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 71
  • P1000022.jpg
    P1000022.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 75
  • P1000023.jpg
    P1000023.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 64
  • P1000024.jpg
    P1000024.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 71
Benn, I'll give you a call Tuesday to check its still ok for me to pop down wednesday pm and have a quick shifty at what you've done.

Well it looks like the project is coming to a close.
The next few days should see all the work completed.
we have moved the deck storage box aft so that the dinghy can be stowed between the masts as the mizzen boom was not long enough to deploy the dinghy.
Sails and all hardware should be installed tomorrow and Friday.
Final install of fish and rig on Friday
Installed a new sat phone antenna today, it just arrived from the USA.
A bit of final wire work to do and maybe the Boss and I will be away on Monday.
Will try and get some photos of rig with sails posted over the weekend.
Took delivery of my new 2 piece aluminium Excel #8 spare anchor and hope to have a bracket made to stow this in the lazzerette.

All trials will be carried out as I head north.
Cheers
Benn

Benn, Can you close out with pics of all the mods? You're too far away for all of us to get there to see it first hand, and since we've watched from afar through so much of the work, it'd be fun to see the final details.

If not, expect a flurry of out-of-your-hemisphere visitors to come see the final product close-up. Is your guest room available and ready?

Guest cabin is made up and ready. Frig is full with beer, Chardonay and Champ. The reds are in the lazzerette.

Still a couple of delays with the rigging and sails.
Got a bit of sail track and cars down today along with some jammers.
Back to boat work on Monday . I hope to just about complete the work.
Dynex ropes for outrigger top and fwd stays made and ready to install.
One set of fish ready to hang and a spare set (yet to be tested) stowed in lazzerette.
Attached are a couple of photos of the laz showing new reconditioned steering ram (rebuilt after 17 years in use)
Note the spare anchor, one of Rex's new aluminium Excells with removable shank. great as a spare, light to move and easy to stow.
Big old s/s kedge anchor that is great for kedging or a stern anchor.
A pic of the new re established funnel, we had to cut and shut it to accommodate the low slung mizzen mast spreaders.
the big storage box has been moved aft as the dinghy will now stow fore and aft between the masts.

Some of these changes have had to take place as the job progressed and we realised what would work and what wouldn't.

Some savy boaters around here notice the Excel and super sarca anchors on a couple of larger boats on the hard one is a Hampton 75 the other is a 58 footer not sure of the make.

Attachments

• P1000066.jpg
    P1000066.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 93
  • P1000067.jpg
    P1000067.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 107
  • P1000068.jpg
    P1000068.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 104
  • P1000069.jpg
    P1000069.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 103
  • P1000070.jpg
    P1000070.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 104
  • P1000072.jpg
    P1000072.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 100
  • P1000074.JPG
    P1000074.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 105
  • P1000075.JPG
    P1000075.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 97
  • P1000078.JPG
    P1000078.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 103
  • P1000079.JPG
    P1000079.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Looks good Benn. Sounds like I'll have to pop in on you up at Mooloolaba sometime to see it all, seeing things didn't work out last wed. Good luck and fair weather for the trip back up.

Wow you certainly don't do things by halves Benn. Very impressive work. I notice the winch forward on the cabin top. Are the sails to be managed from there?

Paul.

Paul,
Yes all halyards and sheets lead forward to that winch and the jammers.
Job completed today and hope to have some photos posted in the next couple of days.
Really pleased with the end product and now it is up to me to use it and get the most out of the boat.
Cheers
Benn

When are you heading north Benn? Might you still be at GC Marina on the weekend, or gone by then..?

Peter,
Heading up to Mooloolaba early in morning, then back to Bris, pick up the Boss, drop off one of my old plough anchors to a buyer and then back to boat.
Heading out and up into the Bay on Friday a morning.
I was here today but got tied up with a lot of last minute rigging and small jobs, dinghy cradles etc.
will talk to you on the phone.
cheers
Benn

Yes...good point Andy...new Avatar with all the mods asap Benn - no pressure...

OK Guys I have changed the avatar.
I am headed home for Mooloolaba after a few shake down problems.
Doug my boat builder (photo attached) and Oily Dave came out whilst we were anchored and Dave and I re bled the steering system after it had been very badly done by some other guys whilst I was away.
All sorted now, a couple of electrical teething probs but all is now operating well.
Just have to deploy and use my paravanes , they still require a bit of set up work and sort out my dinghy on/off lifting system so that it is easy to use by myself.

Attachments

• P1000091.jpg
    P1000091.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 88
  • P1000023.jpg
    P1000023.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 88
  • P1000084.jpg
    P1000084.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 85
  • P1000086.jpg
    P1000086.jpg