TF members Willard 30 spotted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksanders

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
DOS PECES
Vessel Make
BAYLINER 4788
Having been off working for the last two weeks, I returned to my boat today, and what did I see, not 10' from my anchor pulpit?

TF member AKDOUG's beautiful Willard, happily moored and waiting for Doug to return.

Whatever he has said about his boat does not do it justice!

This is one nice looking Willard!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
I hope you did a fridge check. I have learned that even the nicest of boats can be deceivingly and dangerously under-equipped.

I hope you did a fridge check. I have learned that even the nicest of boats can be deceivingly and dangerously under-equipped.

I'd expect such a comment from a man whose boat is equipped with two refrigerators. ;):rofl:

Yup ... Daza propper look'in Willard.

Keep in mind (in defense of the rest of us Willardites) that Dougs boat is almost new.

I love that pilothouse!

Send more pics Doug.

What the hell was that post all about? :blush:

Keep in mind (in defense of the rest of us Willardites) that Dougs boat is almost new. I love that pilothouse! Send more pics Doug.

Sorry Eric, couldn't resist doing a wannabe conversion on this one. When your right, your right. Even wannabe windows can't improve this gorgeous example.

Waiting on the weather... I had a wonderful trip around from Whittier, picked up about 8 gallons of shrimp along the way the first two days out. The "FRIDGE" has a freezer large enough to freeze two fully packed one gallon bags of shrimp in it, and once frozen they will stay frozen on the top shelf of the fridge. Waiting for a good pattern to make the run around to Homer, hoping for an Indian Summer stretch. I so love boating in the fall! The beer is under the dinette seat, I load it just the fridge door full at a time. Thank you for the compliments on the boat, I feel very blessed to have gotten it.

Did you hear that, Walt?

Nice boat (and fridge), AKDoug. Hope you have a great cruise!

Sorry Eric, couldn't resist doing a wannabe conversion on this one. When your right, your right. Even wannabe windows can't improve this gorgeous example.

You guys are right.
I'm a big fan of the wannabe windows, and until I saw this I would have thought they would have suited a Willard, but they don't do anything for it at all.

Did you hear that, Walt?

Nice boat (and fridge), AKDoug. Hope you have a great cruise!
Yeah! I heard it!I have a 100 quart cooler under my settee, too. Like my frig, it's empty. (Have never used it.) Boy, when you consider all the things on my boat that I've never used, someone is going to get a real deal when I Sell! :blush:

healhustler,
I think you're right. Marin may be right on this one but as usual ..in excess. Fwd slanted windows seem to be a sales mutation. however some boats do look quite nice w them and of course all the advantages and disadvantages would still apply. All fly stuff but they do exist.

Vertical has merit.

Attachments

• DSCF0701 copy.jpg
    DSCF0701 copy.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 125
  • DSCF0702 copy.jpg
    DSCF0702 copy.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
... however some boats do look quite nice w them and of course all the advantages and disadvantages would still apply.
Absolutely a "beautiful: boat! :blush:

Keep in mind (in defense of the rest of us Willardites) that Dougs boat is almost new.

I love that pilothouse!

Send more pics Doug.

You have no idea how "new"! The original engine only had 47.5 hours on it, after the sea trial, upon arrival in Anacortes. The only holes drilled in it were the spotlight installation (factory) and the VHF co-axial to the antenna. It is a real joy to get to make all of the "first" holes yourself, it makes you consider very carefully before you start. The only electronics on board were a VHF radio and a depth finder. It came all the way from Anacortes to Whittier on only one fuel stop, took 100 gallons in Ketchikan. My last 263 hours it only burned 126 gallons of fuel, cruising at 1450 or 1850 rpm's (4.5 and 5.5 knots) in Prince William Sound (.48 GPH). I was stunned! Right around one gallon an hour at 2650 (7 knots and 70% of full throttle), where I ran endlessly all the way North on the trip up. The boat would rather be going a little slower, we are starting to dig in at 7 knots, but the current in your face makes you bump it up. It shows no wear, just neglect. I am workin' on that :) Not too many picture OF it, just lots of pictures FROM it. I will work on that too.

It should be gone from Seward on Sunday (or Monday). The weather is finally taking a break and it's looking good for the trip to Homer. A little halibut fishing around Elizabeth Island and then some trolling for winter Kings inside Kachemak Bay. I will finish up the year in Homer and the boat will spend the winter at the Homer Boatyard. They have a five star BBB rating, and unfortunately Seward and Whittier have no such item in their inventory.

I wouldn't keep anything in Whittier for the winter, or summer for that matter. They have perfected the overpriced unwelcome feeling. There have been too many examples of the locals finding ways to overcharge or liberate your equipment from your possession.

Seward is especially tight on upland storage now that Four Seasons has shut down.

I have enjoyed Homer's access to marine trades, and the reasonable rates. It must be a function of distance from Anchorage.

Good news...I can barely see that your boat is still afloat as of right now. Fair seas on your rounding of the Kenai peninsula.

Attachments

• auto.jpg
    auto.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 336
I wouldn't keep anything in Whittier for the winter, or summer for that matter. They have perfected the overpriced unwelcome feeling. There have been too many examples of the locals finding ways to overcharge or liberate your equipment from your possession.

Seward is especially tight on upland storage now that Four Seasons has shut down.

I have enjoyed Homer's access to marine trades, and the reasonable rates. It must be a function of distance from Anchorage.

Good news...I can barely see that your boat is still afloat as of right now. Fair seas on your rounding of the Kenai peninsula.

Geez, TF is getting quite the Alaska representation. You can almost see my boat in your photo!

BTW, I spent 6 years in Whittier working week on/week off at the submarine fiber station there. In general the locals don't like anybody that has a nice boat in the harbor.

Seward on the other hand seems to cater to the harbor, and all the dollars it brings to the community from both the tourists, and the boaters.

Last edited:
My "weather window" looks more like the shutter on a camera :) That darned stuff is bouncing up and down so fast I figure there must be two NOAA guys who can't agree, and they alternate forecasts with "their" version of the weather. I am planning to go for it, driving over tomorrow and jetting out at sunup on Monday. Should make it all the way to Port Chatham pretty easily with the two decent days of weather. Planning on MacArthur Cove for the night and then on to Chatham. Gut check with the morning weather. The storms have been back to back for weeks now...

You have Whittier down perfectly! The unwelcome, charged for every little thing, feeling. I used to feel that way about Homer, but now there are so many great places to eat there I love to visit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom